IGNORED

Greg Cunningham: What Can City Expect?

The Exiled Robin

A profile of our newest signing, young Irish fullback Greg Cunningham.

As well as offering my view on the signing, I've enlisted the help of three Nottingham Forest fans (where he spent much of last season on loan) to offer their view.

I won't spoil the link, but let's just say it's worth reading!

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/greg-cunningham-what-can-bristol-city.html

Enjoy!

Sounds like a player in the Jim Brennan mould. Maybe a bit better going forward than back, slightly lightweight but pacy.

Lots of Forest fans refer to his partnership with Reid, it will be important for us to have someone settled in that left midfield role. Personally, I see this signing as an endorsement for Woolford. I can easily see Woolford holding down the left midfield role, being asked to tuck in a bit and cover as Cunningham bombs down the left wing.

Could be an exciting move.

A profile of our newest signing, young Irish fullback Greg Cunningham.

As well as offering my view on the signing, I've enlisted the help of three Nottingham Forest fans (where he spent much of last season on loan) to offer their view.

I won't spoil the link, but let's just say it's worth reading!

http://exiledrobin.b...istol-city.html

Enjoy!

Thanks very interesting.... I have a long standing contact at senior management level in the Forest administration.

Seems they have had a perennial problem finding a suitable right back similar to us.

Im wondering why they didnt make him a firm offer to stay.?

First indications are that hes considered a better attacking player than a defender and is a bit light weight.

However he has international credentials at U21 level so he should be good enough for the Championship.

Could be a good signing.

If I find out more I will let you know.

Dastardly - the point about a left winger is a good one as it was brought up a lot, and is one that leaves us a bit in question.

Personally think it will be Pearson or no-one (3-5-2) so could expose Cunningham and test him

It would actually make sense to play Cunningham behind Pearson. Pearson doesn't really provide width, but he does work hard and track back so when we have the ball, Pearson will get forward and join the strikers while GC provides width and without it he can offer a bit of protection to the full back

Must admit that I'd forgotten Pearson. Guess that the plan of Cunningham overlapping would work well with either.

Currently, then

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gerken

Foster>>>Fontaine>>Carey>>Cunningham

Adomah>>Morris>>Skuse>>Pearson

>>>>>>>>Stead>>Pitman

Seen worse teams than that, although another idea could be sticking Woolford as a 5th midfielder, encouraging Adomah and Skuse to get forward behind Stead as a lone striker.

I can still see at least 2 more coming in, a striker to add depth to the front and a strong defender. McCormack and Keogh make sense with our current needs.

Thanks very interesting.... I have a long standing contact at senior management level in the Forest administration.

Seems they have had a perennial problem finding a suitable right back similar to us.

Im wondering why they didnt make him a firm offer to stay.?

First indications are that hes considered a better attacking player than a defender and is a bit light weight.

However he has international credentials at U21 level so he should be good enough for the Championship.

Could be a good signing.

If I find out more I will let you know.

Sorry I meant Left back...

It appears Forest were very interested but in view of cities valuation of him werent prepared to stretch the purse strings due to the financial situation at the club currently...whether we have paid big bucks or not I dont know but it sounds as though its quite a wedge, plus the allure of a 4 year Contract for a 21 year old has probably swung the deal.

he could prove to be a real bargain however.

Lets hope so..... LB is an area we have been very weak in for years and considering the best wingers are generally all right footed is one of the most important defensive positions on the pitch

Can't see Wood coming back, didn't do enough for me to warrant the spend on wages/loan fee & Stead plays similar role.

We need a pacy front man with an eye for goal - theyre the two things Stead lacks. His 10-15 goals a season will be nice & handy as long as someone else is netting 20

We need a pacy front man with an eye for goal - theyre the two things Stead lacks. His 10-15 goals a season will be nice & handy as long as someone else is netting 20

Stead has only ever scored more than 10 Championship goals once in the last six seasons - 13 in 39 apps. for Ipswich in 2008/9.

2006/7 - 4 in 22. (Sunderland + Derby on loan)

2007/8 - 6 in 24 (Sheff.Utd)

2009/10 - 8 in 26 (Ipswich & Coventry on loan)

2010/11 - 9 in 24 (City)

2011/12 6 in 16 (City)

He's very unlikely to get 10, let alone15, in any Championship season, or indeed feature in more than half the games.

As well as goals and pace, he unfortunately also lacks consistency and fitness.

He seems to have short bursts of good form - like the end of last season - but judging by his record cannot be relied upon to maintain that form for long, and certainly not over a season.

Stead has only ever scored more than 10 Championship goals once in the last six seasons - 13 in 39 apps. for Ipswich in 2008/9.

2006/7 - 4 in 22. (Sunderland + Derby on loan)

2007/8 - 6 in 24 (Sheff.Utd)

2009/10 - 8 in 26 (Ipswich & Coventry on loan)

2010/11 - 9 in 24 (City)

2011/12 6 in 16 (City)

He's very unlikely to get 10, let alone15, in any Championship season, or indeed feature in more than half the games.

As well as goals and pace, he unfortunately also lacks consistency and fitness.

He seems to have short bursts of good form - like the end of last season - but judging by his record cannot be relied upon to maintain that form for long, and certainly not over a season.

:

To be fair his goals to game ratio isnt that bad! hes more than capable of scoring 10-15 goals through out the course of a season if he can keep himself fit. hes also a good linkup player, someone like Simione Jackson would thrive playing alongside Stead.

:

To be fair his goals to game ratio isnt that bad! hes more than capable of scoring 10-15 goals through out the course of a season if he can keep himself fit. hes also a good linkup player, someone like Simione Jackson would thrive playing alongside Stead.

To be even fairer he won't score 10-15 goals in a season because his record shows he never plays in much more than half the games.

Partly through injury no doubt, but also it would seem because he's not consistent enough to constantly merit a first team place. In short, when he's on form and fired up he's a very useful player but when he's off his games he appears ungainly with poor control and contributes little.

There is a recurring theme with Stead that he changes clubs regularly and in the end clubs are not overly sorry to see him go - this doesn't augur well for what will be his 3rd season at AG. I very much doubt he'll be here for a 4th.

If your golden boy Jackson does sign he'd better bear in mind that if City play 2 up front he is likely to be partnering Taylor for a substantial number of games.

Nogbad, got to agree with a couple of others, although he hasn't scored 10+ in a season for a while it looks like he would've done every time had he played 30-35 matches instead of 18-26ish.

Stead was one of our best players in Millen's (nearly) full season & certainly our most committed when he eventually got his chance last season.

...would be great to have an attacking LB again in the mould of Scott, Barnard and Bell!

City have a mad history of fab left backs, I'd add the Ginger Flash Russell Bromage to that list. If he's as good as Martin Scott then it's happy days, because he was quality (as well as being hard as nails :dancer2: )

Archived