IGNORED

City Brings The Best Out In Its Players

CiderHider

I've always thought this, we do seem to manage it.

There can't be too many players who went onto brighter things after leaving us.

This article has David Cotterill in Wigans Top 10 worst signings, bit harsh, but you cant argue with the stats.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2012/07/top-10-worst-premier-league-signings-wigan-athletic/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

A few exception I'm sure, but I really think we do well with signings, buying and selling. A cool million for Carle was a particular master-stroke.

Basic problem is that we always have been able to overpay below average players killing youth off.

Bristolcitysweden has hit the nail firmly on the head with his post

A point well made, but only to the extent we are a stable club trying to compete in this league, I was happy with the James, Stewart signings, Trundle etc, and I appreciate the Club bringing them in Dunno about killing off youth, bit harsh, if the talent isn't there in the first place there's not a lot you can do?

I agree the fruit from our youth system has been poor, I think its only now the club are addressing it.

A point well made, but only to the extent we are a stable club trying to compete in this league, I was happy with the James, Stewart signings, Trundle etc, and I appreciate the Club bringing them in Dunno about killing off youth, bit harsh, if the talent isn't there in the first place there's not a lot you can do?

I agree the fruit from our youth system has been poor, I think its only now the club are addressing it.

I have to agree with you on one of these points, I don't know many people that weren't excited about us signing James or Trundle (definitely not Stewart for me). Regardless of whether we had a youth goalkeeper or not (ok Henderson and Gerken) I think we were all pretty excited about James... shame how it turned out!

And definitely agree with "fruit from our youth system has been poor"!

I have to agree with you on one of these points, I don't know many people that weren't excited about us signing James or Trundle (definitely not Stewart for me). Regardless of whether we had a youth goalkeeper or not (ok Henderson and Gerken) I think we were all pretty excited about James... shame how it turned out!

And definitely agree with "fruit from our youth system has been poor"!

It beggars belief why it is so poor though considering the amount of money that has been put into it. I can only think of Lita and Cotterill that have been sold on for 1m+.. There may be one or two others?? I know we aren't situated in England's hotbed for footballing talent but you'd expect a few more other that Cole Skuse to be playing in the first team.

Archived