IGNORED

Brum Away, Great Days

sglosbcfc

Just stumbled across Birmingham City 0 Bristol City 4 1989-90 season on You Tube. Great match and brilliant performance. Commentator talks about City bringing a huge support from the south coast, ha. David Rennie is referred to as Reenie throughout. I remember the Zulu warriors didn't take too kindly to the result and it was carnage outside, even had the helicoptors up which was rare back in those days.

Wicked day.

Bit of a ruck in the home stand with City on top as well - think that really wound up the natives.

Evil on the way back through Brum. Was living in nearby Tamworth at the time so went 'homealone'. Good job I acquired a brummie accent.

Think there was some retribution sought at the Gate a few seasons later.

Knew a number/played footie with some blues - who were actually great company.

Just stumbled across Birmingham City 0 Bristol City 4 1989-90 season on You Tube. Great match and brilliant performance. Commentator talks about City bringing a huge support from the south coast, ha. David Rennie is referred to as Reenie throughout. I remember the Zulu warriors didn't take too kindly to the result and it was carnage outside, even had the helicoptors up which was rare back in those days.

any chance of a link Thank you kindly

always used to love going to st andrews. recall one game in the mid-90s that coincided with the last day of their big side-on kop. they'd already knocked down the old away terrace and the match was all ticket for city. bugger that, me and my mates thought no probs, we'll watch from the home end then. city were cruising 2-0 and we were totally sussed, with an ever-growing group of brummies crowding about, menacing us. just as it was getting a bit beyond verbals, and proper brown trousers, brum scored, queue massive pitch invasion and a chance to escape the gorillas we were making friends with. end score 2-2, and i ended up the game hanging off the brum crossbar with a load of brummies dressed as batman. football used to be fun :(

Kept behind for a long long time while the zulus had their fun with the Police..................

The surrounding area looked like a bomb site so plenty of ammo for the idiots to throw

By the time we we were released it was quite easy, for the zulus who had hung about , to suss out the away fans walking back to their cars .....a little bit of brickie time I must admit

As I walked through what must have been one of the worst run down areas of Brum at that time I was asked "got the time mate" on several occasions by groups of "lads" hanging about the side streets, luckily I could pull off a brummie accent and actualy liked Bovril so got back to car unscathed .......to find several city fans who had parked in same area (by a school) had had their windows stoved in...........thank god not mine

Yes good days indeed.........especialy for those families who had their car windows smashed

Kept behind for a long long time while the zulus had their fun with the Police..................

The surrounding area looked like a bomb site so plenty of ammo for the idiots to throw

By the time we we were released it was quite easy, for the zulus who had hung about , to suss out the away fans walking back to their cars .....a little bit of brickie time I must admit

As I walked through what must have been one of the worst run down areas of Brum at that time I was asked "got the time mate" on several occasions by groups of "lads" hanging about the side streets, luckily I could pull off a brummie accent and actualy liked Bovril so got back to car unscathed .......to find several city fans who had parked in same area (by a school) had had their windows stoved in...........thank god not mine

Yes good days indeed.........especialy for those families who had their car windows smashed

i well remember that walk back to the car with my mate. As we were nearing it I heard an enormous smash of glass and what sounded like a herd of buffalo coming toward us. There was absolutely nowhere to go and as a group of lads rounded the corner and came bearing down on my mate and myself I found myself recognising the bloke at the front of the main group as a regular in my local drinker. "Hello Paul, alright" he grinned at me and put his thumb up. I just thought "Thank God for that" and continued back to the car thanking my lucky stars it was a group of Bristolians we came face to face with.

Those were the days........

Remember half time in that game, absolute carnage at the back of the Tilton End, the Zulus managed to break through their side of the fence & we did the same.....old bill didn't know what hit them.

And what a joy to see a confident strong city side, dominating from back to front, real men not these overpaid ballerinas we have now,....I wonder when we will get that again.

BCAGFC

Proper away game ! None of this your sat in my seat / sit down business or looks if you dare to sing ! I got brum to post me the video a couple of days after . Doubt they sold many . Can see my yate union jack when Gavin takes a corner . Those were the days !

As I watched I was thinking what has happened to some of the flags, especially the Union ones that used to be present at matches. Time to bring them back I say, let's see Yate BCFC on tour with the Robins this season

I was at that one!

A few things I remember from that game. The first was going for a cuppa at half time in the main stand as soon as we scored. I was just putting the milk in my tea when all hell let loose. City came in from one end and Brum from the other, I never got to drink that cuppa!

A couple of mates went on the terrace as we couldn't all get in the stand and one was stood right at the back and nearly sparked himself out on the overhead roof supports when we scored the first, by all accounts the berk did it again when we scored the second.

As we left the ground, bearing in mind you are in the other end nowadays, we had to walk through loads of baying blues fans so we jumped over a wall into a car park to see Russell Bromage (remember him) giving the blues fans some terrible stick. We got out of there a bit sharpish and piled in another mates van. We were stopped at a set of lights where hundreds and hundreds of Birmingham nutters were checking cars looking for our supporters, Just as they almost reached us, the lights changed, thank god!

Happy days and a decent City side, even Reenie (;-)_ had a good game!

Proper ground, lunatic supporters in those days.

Went up on the the train to this match and what a mob. Remember walking out of New dtreet and seeing the look on the Zulus spotters who couldnt quite believe the numbers we took that day.

Over 20 years ago now but that day still stands out as one of the best away days.

Love that mate.

My best ever season as a city fan, we had a great team with super-bob getting the goals, and 2 fantastic wingers in gavin and smith, along with shelton , rennie, Biffo etc., wmp had to lay on a special train to get us all home that night, some great away games that season, hammering swansea at the vetch stands out, also having a massive following in a defeat at bolton late in the season with 100s travelling to blackpool after (Manchester bar was lively that night). OB were cruising through Filwood for weeks after that with photos trying to identify trouble-makers from that night. Without doubt that was the most entertaining team in my time of following City

Archived