IGNORED

442 Swansea?

marcofisher

4-4-2 is becoming outdated imo, its all about 4-2-3-1 these days, its the formation i can see Del using next season, especially if we sign Buzsaky.

I love the way '4-2-3-1' is touted as the saviour of modern football, when in reality it's just a slight tweak on 442; one of your strikers plays slightly deeper than the other and you encourage your wingers to get forward. Well that just sounds like 442 to me....

swansea don't play 4-4-2

they play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on which way you look at it.

I agree that we are also more likely to shape up in that way, especially if we sign buzasky and don't sign a decent striker or two.

I never said they did, I was just exclaiming how we might use the same method but in a 442

I love the way '4-2-3-1' is touted as the saviour of modern football, when in reality it's just a slight tweak on 442; one of your strikers plays slightly deeper than the other and you encourage your wingers to get forward. Well that just sounds like 442 to me....

It's possible for the 4-2-3-1 to look like that, especially if your central attacking midfielder can also play as an out and out striker.

More commonly though the 4-2-3-1 provides teams with the ability to pack the midfield with creative, technical and attacking minded footballers. You see this when barca, arsenal, swansea etc play.

We even saw Spain take it to the next level in the Euros when they played 6 midfielders and no out and out striker.

It's possible for the 4-2-3-1 to look like that, especially if your central attacking midfielder can also play as an out and out striker.

More commonly though the 4-2-3-1 provides teams with the ability to pack the midfield with creative, technical and attacking minded footballers. You see this when barca, arsenal, swansea etc play.

We even saw Spain take it to the next level in the Euros when they played 6 midfielders and no out and out striker.

I'm not criticising the formation; I think it works well, but it's essentially expressing detail about how a 442 works. It still has 2 forwards, 2 wingers, 2 centre mids and 4 defenders. Obviously you can vary it and wingers tend to 'cut inside' in that formation, but it's essentially the same

The whole point with Spain and Barcelona is that ahead of the keeper, back 4 and holding midfielder, there are 5 players who have no 'formation'; they play as and where they see fit. For example, Fabregas never played as a striker, he was simply one of 5 players asked to attack the opposition. It was neither 4321, 4231, 442, 433 or anything. It was probably closest to the Dutch 'Total Football' of the 70s

Archived