IGNORED

Tom Heaton On The Plane?

HusseyBCFC

Difference is that Dean's contract is up this year - surely enough to keep him on his toes.

Is it...?

Didn't he sign a new contract, which I would assume was for longer than 18 months, last summer. That was part of the reason for Hendo feeling "down the pecking order" and thought he had a better chance of 1st team football at Pompey.

I could be wrong, but i'm sure that was the case..?

Is it...?

Didn't he sign a new contract, which I would assume was for longer than 18 months, last summer. That was part of the reason for Hendo feeling "down the pecking order" and thought he had a better chance of 1st team football at Pompey.

I could be wrong, but i'm sure that was the case..?

Think he signed a 2yr last summer.

His last season is coming..

Sky are not going to broadcast anything, they do have to retain some credibility as a broadcaster (I realise who they're owned by), so they said Buszacky is in talks, they're likely to be correct as his future still hasn't been decided!

Let's go in reverse

1.) It's not 'fact' it's opinion, like this post is.

2.)As already mentioned Butland was well known to the England set up before playing for Cheltenham last season. and players have been known to get u-whatever or even sometimes full international honours before making first team debuts. So it's not all about the season at Cheltenham as you would have it

3.) Joe Hart was on the Shrewsbury bench at 15 ish, and then 1st choice by 18 (also conveniently didnt go on loan for the shrews to get experience elsewhere) By the time he got to Citeh he was already in the England U-19 set up. Afaik the only reason he didnt stay as number one after Isaakson left is because Given and then Taylor signed, but will be prepared to be corrected. afaik he played around 2/3rds of the season before being frozen out as the money started rolling into city.

4.) You aren't confident about Carey, but have never seen him play in all likelyhood (will stand corrected if you have) The point is unless we start blooding our youngsters for us we will continue to never know. I've mentioned this several zillion times, that it is this 'fear' that really started with GJ that has crippled youth development and caused us no end of problems. If we play him, we can see if he is good enough. Farming him off on loan, solves nothing and the list of players we have let go without even giving a chance to because of 'loan' spells rather than seeing if they can do the business is frightening and makes a joke of the youth team, it needs to change, but whilst people remain scared of giving people a chance because of 'minimising risk' or being conservative this model will in all likelyhood continue. stifling development from within.

5.) Gerken wasnt signed as a stop gap, he was signed to be eventual first choice.. See the BBC website here

Cheers

I wouldn't argue with points 1 or 2 but on point 3, I think that Taylor was signed by Citeh to allow Joe Hart to go on loan, therefore gaining the experience. I appreciate he was Shrewsbury's 1st choice keeper at 18 but he's an exceptional talent and was playing at a lower league. Keepers need a certain degree of composure and (in part) that only comes with games. Lewis Carey will learn very little from sitting on our bench twiddling his thumbs and so if we want a quality keeper in 2 or 3 years rather than someone who takes up a space on the bench, he needs to go on loan

Hart was first choice before the money came in and they signed Given as I said before. It was the money that caused him to go, by signing Given over him and, not lack of experience.

Lewis will get some matchday experience at this level by being on the bench, play him in the cup games/ dead rubbers and we can see what he is like as well.

He does not 'need' to go on loan

Matchday experience? How does sitting on a bench help recreate the pressure of actually being in goal? it doesn't.

Cup games are normally twice a season for us, that isn't enough experience to become a championship goalie for next season.

Gerken has a year left, by Carey going on loan you get a keeper coming back with experience of playing week in week out.

It's about integration. Matchday experience of playing at home or away with the AG fans, getting used to their quirks and the atmosphere, getting used to the warm up and warmdowns at city, rather than elsewhere. It ensures a smooth transition should he start, Cup Matches/Dead Rubbers and allows him to build.

It's not hard to do. Carey has experience of playing week in and week out. Now we need to build on his experience and get him integrated.

There is not a need to do this by loaning him out elsewhere

He will get Matchday experience at another club, and will actually play. Like I said 2 games (cup matches) is not enough.

Carey doesn't have experience of top competitive football week in, week out, and that comes with pressure. It cannot just be replicated by warming up on a saturday and facing reserve team players mid week. To build on his experience we need to get him playing competitive football against good opposition.

Let me repeat this point again

1.) He has had match day experience at another club and has been 1st choice there.

2.) He will get experience here, by playing in cup game and dead rubbers/meaningless games etc, so we can see what he has got at this level

3) He has no/little matchday experience for City, so by integrating him as suggested we will give him less to worry about rather than dragging him from somewhere on loan or just thrusting him straight in the first team

4.) If he is playing vs Cup Teams or vs teams in games in this league it will build experience for him, at this level, not at League 1 nor 2 or wherever.. And then we will have, if things work out a champs capable keeper. If not at least we have given him that chance.

1.) Conference north is a massive jump to football league, 18 games isn't enough experience.

2.) 2 games won't be enough to see if he is good enough, it will be a long hard season, so not many "meaningless games". Stick him on loan and send a scout to watch him, that is what happened with Hart at Birmingham.

3.) So you don't want Morris, Cunningham and any other new signings starting the season in the first 11 then?

4.) Cup games won't give him experience at this level, we play smaller teams from League 1 and 2, anyone higher and I expect Gerken will be in goal.

1.) He has had match day experience at another club and has been 1st choice there.

2.) He will get experience here, by playing in cup game and dead rubbers/meaningless games etc, so we can see what he has got at this level

3) He has no/little matchday experience for City, so by integrating him as suggested we will give him less to worry about rather than dragging him from somewhere on loan or just thrusting him straight in the first team

4.) If he is playing vs Cup Teams or vs teams in games in this league it will build experience for him, at this level, not at League 1 nor 2 or wherever.. And then we will have, if things work out a champs capable keeper. If not at least we have given him that chance.

Are you seriously suggesting that sitting on a bench will prepare him for first team duties?!

You seem to forget , we dont have many cup games per season and last season we had just the 1 "dead rubber"

Archived