IGNORED

Should Oscar Pistorius Compete In The Olympics?

Calculus

As a double amputtee Oscar Pistorius has achieved fantastic things - the courage, determination and talent that guy has is remarkable. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius).

He is now due to enter the Olympic 400 metres and 4x400 metre relay using his prosthetic blades.

To me it seems wrong that someone using such articficial aids should be allowed in able-bodied games, as it could give a potential performance advantage. (If not now then surely at some point in the future when technology improves even further).

Would be interested to know what others think - I must admit to feeling a bit mean even thinking this as the guy is obviously so admirable, but it does seem wrong.

As a double amputtee Oscar Pistorius has achieved fantastic things - the courage, determination and talent that guy has is remarkable. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius).

He is now due to enter the Olympic 400 metres and 4x400 metre relay using his prosthetic blades.

To me it seems wrong that someone using such articficial aids should be allowed in able-bodied games, as it could give a potential performance advantage. (If not now then surely at some point in the future when technology improves even further).

Would be interested to know what others think - I must admit to feeling a bit mean even thinking this as the guy is obviously so admirable, but it does seem wrong.

Makes no difference.

1. It has been proved many tines the blades give no advantage, that is why he can compete at the Olympics.

2. Is is an outstanding para athlete, but he is a average able bodied athlete (in world terms)

3. I believe he has only been chosen in the 4x400, I may have missed the fact he has been chosen for the actual 400, so I apologise if that is the case.

He is a good athlete, but no where near good enough to get a medal, I doubt he will even get to the final.

I think his disability far out weighs any advantage his blades give, anyway, as suggested above, tests have proven no advantage gains, if so, he would have been banned from competing, much in the same way drug cheats get retrospective bans.

To be honest, this is a bit of a side show to highlight what disabled athletes can do, nothing more.

All imo of course :)

I think it's more relevant to ask if he should be in the Paralympics. He's able to compete as a fully able athlete so why should he deprive someone who's not of a medal?

I thought the tests had proven nothing either way, but it's ok to many because he won't win a medal. If the first bladed athlete starts beating the other athletes they will soon change their tune. And probably fairly so.

Archived