IGNORED

Gb V Nz Match Thread

potbelly

Not as good as the men's game but they're all a damn sight better than your average park player... Semi-pro standard, I'd say, but then it's still a semi-pro game isn't it?

Kelly Smith and Rachel Yankey in particular are very talented.

If you open your mind and view it as a different type of game, it's very entertaining.

Cant believe we havn't scored from the 2 corners we had one after each other, in both cases they were set up like this but the ball was dropped in right under the bar ?

When you can see the obvious ball ( ive outlined for any GAS that maybe reading and dont understand footy )

13432307691.png

Kelly Smith and Rachel Yankey in particular are very talented.

If you open your mind and view it as a different type of game, it's very entertaining.

Like watching Wiggins ride a postmans (or post-persons) bike, or Phelps swimming with armbands? What is entertaining about watching something that should not even be described as mediocre?

I bet they're all still better than you.

I think that's the issue with it. All the other womens sports in the Olympics feature super athletes who can do something me as a normal bloke could never do. But womens football is of such a terrible standard compared to the men that you cannot fail to look at it, and think it's garbage. And it's understandable why that is, but it is still garbage. I'm not sure what mens football fans can find entertaining about slow poor football. Unless for say comic value or cathartic frustration.

I love football so I tuned in, I'm not quite sure this is football...

I think that's the issue with it. All the other womens sports in the Olympics feature super athletes who can do something me as a normal bloke could never do. But womens football is of such a terrible standard compared to the men that you cannot fail to look at it, and think it's garbage. And it's understandable why that is, but it is still garbage. I'm not sure what mens football fans can find entertaining about slow poor football. Unless for say comic value or cathartic frustration.

I love football so I tuned in, I'm not quite sure this is football...

If you had a 10 year old son, would you not watch because it wasn't the same as the men's game?

Do you not watch City because we're not as good as Barcelona?

Jessica Ennis can't throw a javelin as far as Steve Backley, will you not watch her participate in the Heptathlon?

A Boeng 747 can't fly as fast as Concorde, so do you refuse to fly in them?

It isn't the same as men's football, so don't compare it. Unless you're so incapable of independent thought, in which case you shouldn't have switched on in the first place.

EDIT: By you, I don't mean the person who's post I quoted, I meant it in the wider sense!

If you had a 10 year old son, would you not watch because it wasn't the same as the men's game?

Do you not watch City because we're not as good as Barcelona?

Jessica Ennis can't throw a javelin as far as Steve Backley, will you not watch her participate in the Heptathlon?

A Boeng 747 can't fly as fast as Concorde, so do you refuse to fly in them?

It isn't the same as men's football, so don't compare it. Unless you're so incapable of independent thought, in which case you shouldn't have switched on in the first place.

EDIT: By you, I don't mean the person who's post I quoted, I meant it in the wider sense!

You have an interest because it's your son, you're not there for the quality of football, that's a poor example, you're there to support your kid.

I watch city because of the emotional investment made, and that more than makes up for the lack of aesthetics. But do you ever go to city and say "Whoa that football was good today", good for city maybe, but there's an obvious understanding we're not watching top quality football.

Ennis isn't a specified Javelin thrower, and compared to the top women javelin throwers she's awful. So if she was just doing that and losing heavily all the time, no i wouldn't watch her. But there's an understanding that her Javelin throws are part of overall picture of a top quality athlete. Would you go and watch people throwing Ennis's distance when you know there are a load of better competitors out there?

Is the plane thing remotely sensible or relevant? But lets roll with it, would you sit on a jumbo thinking it's as fun as a fighter jet.

The difference between womens football and practically EVERY other sport at the Olympics is this. The womens 100m runners can run under 11 seconds while the men run under ten. Both achievements are incredible. The girls are performing to their maximum ability for the shape and size they are given. They are performing incredible acts that any normal person cannot replicate. But that New Zealand girl who went through 1 on 1 twelve yards out with the keeper already going down and she scuffed it. There's no physical reason for her to do that, there's no reason why womens football is so bad. They should be able to pass and move. There are 100 examples or more per match of the lack of quality.

They are not as good as they should be and could be, and that's why it's different from other womens sport at these games. They're not doing incredible things, they're doing stuff you wouldn't regularly see at the say 6th or 7th level of the mens game. You head in the say 5000s ranked mens sprinters and the girls would beat them no question same with anything. But no chance in hell wwould team gb beat that level of mens player. It's not that it's worse, is that it's so so mcuh worse.

I'm pleased GB won because this is the Olympics and we support everything British except Dwane Chambers... but unless you utterly turn your brain off, and exist on pure national pride that was rubbish.

I have seen a lot of really crap male football.....players on 10s of thousands a week who can't even get a penalty on target, or play without diving or cheating. And the men's game has been going for a lot longer. Personally, I saw a well worked goal, well taken along with a lot of accurate passing.Yes, a missed goal that should have been scored, but for goodness sake...go along to most games and see that. I remember Torres (one of the good to better men's players missing absolute sitters...and there are many more than him ).

Come on....give them a break, give it time!!

You have an interest because it's your son, you're not there for the quality of football, that's a poor example, you're there to support your kid.

I watch city because of the emotional investment made, and that more than makes up for the lack of aesthetics. But do you ever go to city and say "Whoa that football was good today", good for city maybe, but there's an obvious understanding we're not watching top quality football.

Ennis isn't a specified Javelin thrower, and compared to the top women javelin throwers she's awful. So if she was just doing that and losing heavily all the time, no i wouldn't watch her. But there's an understanding that her Javelin throws are part of overall picture of a top quality athlete. Would you go and watch people throwing Ennis's distance when you know there are a load of better competitors out there?

Is the plane thing remotely sensible or relevant? But lets roll with it, would you sit on a jumbo thinking it's as fun as a fighter jet.

The difference between womens football and practically EVERY other sport at the Olympics is this. The womens 100m runners can run under 11 seconds while the men run under ten. Both achievements are incredible. The girls are performing to their maximum ability for the shape and size they are given. They are performing incredible acts that any normal person cannot replicate. But that New Zealand girl who went through 1 on 1 twelve yards out with the keeper already going down and she scuffed it. There's no physical reason for her to do that, there's no reason why womens football is so bad. They should be able to pass and move. There are 100 examples or more per match of the lack of quality.

They are not as good as they should be and could be, and that's why it's different from other womens sport at these games. They're not doing incredible things, they're doing stuff you wouldn't regularly see at the say 6th or 7th level of the mens game. You head in the say 5000s ranked mens sprinters and the girls would beat them no question same with anything. But no chance in hell wwould team gb beat that level of mens player. It's not that it's worse, is that it's so so mcuh worse.

I'm pleased GB won because this is the Olympics and we support everything British except Dwane Chambers... but unless you utterly turn your brain off, and exist on pure national pride that was rubbish.

I completely disagree (except for Dwain Chambers)

I'm not a particularly patriotic person either. I just think that a lot of men are unbelievably narrow minded when it comes to the female game, and it would be nigh on impossible to change their minds.

For some things, it's clear that they're not as good but it's a relatively fledgling game at the highest level of that sport. Don't fall under the misapprehension that the level of quality is Sunday league. It's a very good standard, it's just a completely different game to the male version.

Take it for what it is. Nobody is asking you to buy a season ticket.

While on holiday last summer in Turkey

i played 7 a side football every day against the hotel staff

all aged 18-22 local lads

A group of german girls challenged us to a game 10 mins each way

we lost 16 -5

Turns out they played for Wolfsberg in the Bundeslige Two of them have played for german

They really took the piss To fast to skillful and the worse bit to powerful

Played them every day for the rest of the two weeks Never got close

I was at the match today and I thought it was pretty poor. To be fair though it was incredibly hot, which would have taken the pace out of any game. I think there were nerves as well, many of the girls would be used to playing in front of hundreds not thousands of fans. I liked the look of Britain's left full back who scored the goal. Within the first ten minutes she had crunched a couple of NZ players. She was really committed and deserved her goal. With better finishing GB would have scored five.

I slipped into kiddie mode upon leaving the stadium, Brazilian TV were filming some of their fans and I couldn't resist jumping in with a "Bristol City" shout. It seemed a live shot and they didn't look overally pleased, stil

Might gain us some new interest in Rio and Sau Paulo.

Final comment, the trains were shocking, long wait and terribly overcrowded. Anyone with any sort of medical condition probably wouldn't have made it from Temple Meads to Cardiff.

The anthems were hilarious! I'm quite looking forward to the rest of this though. Can only be good for the women's game for it to get this kind of profile...

It's park football at best .

A semi pro team would put 10 goals past the women team . Don't want to be disrespectful but I have played for decent Saturday teams and the like of Highridge Utd , P and W , BC Timbers would distroy this team and there are not semi pro teams. The Three lions Sunday team would beat the Women team.

It's park football at best .

A semi pro team would put 10 goals past the women team . Don't want to be disrespectful but I have played for decent Saturday teams and the like of Highridge Utd , P and W , BC Timbers would distroy this team and there are not semi pro teams. The Three lions Sunday team would beat the Women team.

I have not read the thread so pitching in from the deep end, cant believe what you just typed, It's a LADIES football team versus a LADIES football team...FFS it's not rocket science, any transfer rumours ??

I have not read the thread so pitching in from the deep end, cant believe what you just typed, It's a LADIES football team versus a LADIES football team...FFS it's not rocket science, any transfer rumours ??

A few poster claimed it was semi pro standard , I took an opposite view. If you don't want to add to the debate that's your pro ogative . By all means start a topic on transfere rumours.

A few poster claimed it was semi pro standard , I took an opposite view. If you don't want to add to the debate that's your pro ogative . By all means start a topic on transfere rumours.

You're wrong though. Obviously semi-pro comes at a lot of levels so it depends what league we're talking but the claim a decent Saturday team would destroy them is utter nonsense.

You're wrong though. Obviously semi-pro comes at a lot of levels so it depends what league we're talking but the claim a decent Saturday team would destroy them is utter nonsense.

Highridge Utd first team would beat the GB no problem . So its not nonsense.

Highridge play in the Bristol premier leauge . Not semi pro but a very decent standard.

I would describe semi pro as any payments being made to any players including expensese. So a very very good standard . Mangotsfield or Clevedon , Bath City are examples.

Archived