IGNORED

Composure... Can It Be Taught?

sunningdalered

Just reading through another thread (citys worst signings) and the names of Thorpe and Stewart were mentioned (and quickly despatched to the long grass :laughcont: ).

One of the things that these players had in common was composure when it came to tight situations in the opposition's box (or in and around goal more generally). In fact, Thorpey is probably the last player that I can remember at AG who had a really high level of composure - bordering on arrogance - when the moment of opportunity showed itself. Oddly enough, little Lee J had his moments in this respect (thinking about his dink against Baardiff when we trounced them at home), and Scotty was deadly when cutting inside from the right attacking the Atyeo (but then he had 45 mins rest when going the other way!). Others that have demonstrated a woeful lack of composure include, IMO, Mcindoe, Maynard, Adomah and Pearson.

All of which makes me wonder whether players can actually have composure trained into them, or whether you either have it or you dont? I'm struggling to think of a city player who has become noticeably more composed on the ball (specifically in threatening positions) over the course of their time at AG. Further support for the theory that it cannot be coached can be seen in the current squad - why does Pearson get into good positions and blaze over so often?, ditto Albert?, ditto Marv? You often hear the comment that 'the lads stick those away for fun in training', which suggests that it's not due to a lack of technique, so WTF don't they do it when it matters?

One thing seems fairly clear to me, if it is possible to make a player more composed when a chance to finish arises, it's not likely to be the result of 'working really hard during the week', it's got to be something more subtle - but maybe, it can't be done? Anyone know if City are currently deploying a sports psychologist to help with this side of our performance (they'll earn their corn with Pearson et al if they are!).

Thoughts?

Composure is a natural trait, but I guess it be can be nurtured when you're younger.

Teams like Spain, Italy, Portugal etc are all very composed on the ball - that must come from their coaching methods.

England on the other hand rely, to a certain extent, on pace and almost 'headless chicken'.

Ultimately though, you've either got it or you haven't.

In common with all sports the great players have composure when it matters.

In football it's the ability to create or find space resulting in the perception of having extra time to do what they need to do.

All too often we find ourselves watching the ball instead of watching the movement of players.

Although past his best, I believe the most composed player at the moment is Paul scholes - drifts around the pitch and nearly always hits the target.

no i don't think it can be your ether composed or not

Nonsense, you can teach anything within reason. Composure is usually something that develops with skill and knowledge. I very much doubt whether its an inherited characteristic. There are enough examples of impulsive teenagers turning into composed professionals - Beckham for one.

I don't buy that.

We had an average number of chances created in this division last season - but had the worst conversion rate in the football league.

That smacks of lack of composure in front of goal.

How do you cure that ?

Get players who have some composure in front of goal, although we do have one player with that attribute in Pitman, but it appears difficult to fit him into the team.

If thats the case, why are the majority of people on here banging on about a 'creative' midfielder that we havent had since Hartley?

Yes, I think composure can be taught although some people do seem to be naturally predisposed to it.

Experience is one of the best methods, but a wise head needs to be on hand to guide during the process - older, composed players or management and coaching staff.

It can certainly be acquired through experience, practice and good coaching and management.

A player who finds himself in a situation he has practiced many times before and who is confident in his ability to deal with it will be more composed than one who isn't.

As an example, probably more extreme than you'd see in professional football but relevant nonetheless, I play for a softball team which formed 3 years ago. In our first season hardly any of us had played the game and all situations were new to us. We panicked a lot and made mistakes as a result. Now, by contrast, we know what to do in all situations and have the time to assess and do the right thing. To an observer we'd appear much more composed, but that composure is as a result of practice and confidence.

Well if you practice you increase your skill level to a point where you are more confident then yes you can. Sports psychologists can also do wonders for some people. And some people naturally panic in pressure situations.

So it depends. Ooh splinters.

I reckon composure is a natural trait but can be enhanced by learning from others -( if this blokes example is anything to go by )- theres not been many more composed than him, he started young then went on and played at the very top. :)

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, was a prolific and influential composer. He composed over 600 works. He is among the most enduringly popular of composers.

Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood. Already competent on keyboard and violin, he composed from the age of five. At 17, he was engaged as a court musician in Salzburg, but grew restless and travelled in search of a better position, always composing abundantly. During his final years in Vienna, he composed many of his best-known symphonies, concertos, and operas.

Mozart learned voraciously from others, and developed a brilliance and maturity of style that encompassed the light and graceful along with the dark and passionate.

but that composure is as a result of practice and confidence.

I think that's key.

Composure has a lot to do with confidence IMO, something most of our players lacked for the majority of the last campaign which in no small part, was due to a horrific start to the season.

If you are performing badly and pressure is building week after week to get a result, you are more likely to be less composed when an opportunity is presented.

There are of course some players who seem to have it regardless.

If by the time you are a professional footballer in your mid 20s and cannot compose yourself then you are failing as a professional , you will always get people who handle pressure differently , until you LEARN to compose yourself in situations then you cannot be as good at your job , thats the same in any job .

Just reading through another thread (citys worst signings) and the names of Thorpe and Stewart were mentioned (and quickly despatched to the long grass :laughcont: ).

One of the things that these players had in common was composure when it came to tight situations in the opposition's box (or in and around goal more generally). In fact, Thorpey is probably the last player that I can remember at AG who had a really high level of composure - bordering on arrogance - when the moment of opportunity showed itself. Oddly enough, little Lee J had his moments in this respect (thinking about his dink against Baardiff when we trounced them at home), and Scotty was deadly when cutting inside from the right attacking the Atyeo (but then he had 45 mins rest when going the other way!). Others that have demonstrated a woeful lack of composure include, IMO, Mcindoe, Maynard, Adomah and Pearson.

All of which makes me wonder whether players can actually have composure trained into them, or whether you either have it or you dont? I'm struggling to think of a city player who has become noticeably more composed on the ball (specifically in threatening positions) over the course of their time at AG. Further support for the theory that it cannot be coached can be seen in the current squad - why does Pearson get into good positions and blaze over so often?, ditto Albert?, ditto Marv? You often hear the comment that 'the lads stick those away for fun in training', which suggests that it's not due to a lack of technique, so WTF don't they do it when it matters?

One thing seems fairly clear to me, if it is possible to make a player more composed when a chance to finish arises, it's not likely to be the result of 'working really hard during the week', it's got to be something more subtle - but maybe, it can't be done? Anyone know if City are currently deploying a sports psychologist to help with this side of our performance (they'll earn their corn with Pearson et al if they are!).

Thoughts?

Composure in my opinion comes directly as a consequence of pure natural ability. In high pressure situations, people more often than not return to type.

It cannot be taught which is why, when it comes to footballers, clubs have to pay top dollar for such services.

Archived