IGNORED

Goalies

Lack of Action Man

Some might view this as a bit of pointless discussion but I was just wondering what people feel regarding keepers for next season.

I believet that Heaton will be number one, perhaps deservedly so. I don't think we should write off Gerken though, for me it would be sensible to play whoever is number two in the cup campaigns so that they are ready for match practice if necessary. It would also be wise to get Carey a loan move imo - he could well be one for the future and hopefully the club will have learned from the events Henderson-gate.

Some might view this as a bit of pointless discussion but I was just wondering what people feel regarding keepers for next season.

I believet that Heaton will be number one, perhaps deservedly so. I don't think we should write off Gerken though, for me it would be sensible to play whoever is number two in the cup campaigns so that they are ready for match practice if necessary. It would also be wise to get Carey a loan move imo - he could well be one for the future and hopefully the club will have learned from the events Henderson-gate.

I can't say i've seen a whole lot of Heaton by why do you think he deserves to be number one? If anything, i think Gerken deserves the opportunity to continue his form from the tail end of last season and make the number 1 shirt his own. Certainly be interesting to see who McInnes chooses to start the season.

Carey out on loan would be a logical move and if he can prove himself in league football then perhaps we'll see either Heaton or Gerken leave at the end of the season.

On a sidenote - we would have a ready made number 1 in Henderson if we hadn't signed James. I appreciate he was at the time a "marquee" signing but with hindsight it didn't work for us and we lost a good quality, potentially long term 'keeper out of it. Old news though i know.

I can't say i've seen a whole lot of Heaton by why do you think he deserves to be number one?

Perhaps we'll see either Heaton or Gerken leave at the end of the season.

I must admit I'm only going by performances of his that I've seen on telly but he's never really made me think of the dodgy keeper stereotype - always seems a fairly reliable stopper. Problem is we already have a reliable stopper in Gerken. If the jersey's owner isn't clear by the end of the season I think you could be right and that one of them may well leave. I'd be dissapointed if it were to be Gerken's time though - having been at the club under four different managers he's one of the faces that I've grown to respect as a city player over the years.

I'm still not sure where Heaton fits into all of this, 2nd choice, vying for 1st choice? Squad Player?

For me, I can't see Heaton signing without the promise of being in pole position for the jersey i.e. his to lose. I could be wrong but I get the feeling that McInnes hasn't got the 100% confidence in Gerken that he needs to trust him with the number one position for the season ahead.

For me, I can't see Heaton signing without the promise of being in pole position for the jersey i.e. his to lose. I could be wrong but I get the feeling that McInnes hasn't got the 100% confidence in Gerken that he needs to trust him with the number one position for the season ahead.

I don't think you'll find too many managers who will guarantee anyone the number one jersey. If anything will bring complacency, that's it.

It's a bit risky surely? I mean with all the kerfuffle elsewhere on the board about having established number 1 hence the need for Carey to go on loan and learn to be one. Heaton has never been an established no 1. He was vying it out with Enkleman and then injury first time at Cardiff and then succumbing to David Marshall 2nd time. For all the promise at Man United, he really hasnt got massive amounts of experience either, I think less than 100 league games

Dean Gerken has 160 ish league games... and it would be churlish to punt him aside after he proved more than capable after ousting DJ

But that's just how I see it

I don't disagree with you, I think you're absoloutely right. But something feels out of place wouldn't you say?

If McInnes was happy with Gerken as a number one Heaton wouldn't be here imo.

I don't think you'll find too many managers who will guarantee anyone the number one jersey. If anything will bring complacency, that's it.

I disagree, Basso was pretty much guaranteed the jersey by Johnson - at the expense of Weale who by all accounts when he signed, was expected to be number one. By being the guaranteed number one the defensive 5 gelled together and grew and unified together as a group of players. It's the same sort of principle at the top clubs in the premier league too. I know neither of our keepers are in the class of say Hart or Cech, but you can understand where I'm coming from perhaps.

Gerken deserves his spot between the sticks and thats that for me, he has waited long enough and came in and the end of last season for our final 8 games, in which we were unbeaten.

As for Carey being one for the future, i reckon he's past it to e fair, hes got a testimonial tomorrow........;)

I disagree, Basso was pretty much guaranteed the jersey by Johnson - at the expense of Weale who by all accounts when he signed, was expected to be number one. By being the guaranteed number one the defensive 5 gelled together and grew and unified together as a group of players. It's the same sort of principle at the top clubs in the premier league too. I know neither of our keepers are in the class of say Hart or Cech, but you can understand where I'm coming from perhaps.

"who by all accounts [...] was expected to be number one."

Clearly we remember it differently, Basso was as instrumental as anyone in our promotion and went into another gear when we reached the Championship, Weale was plagued with injury and when he did get his chance he had a particularly poor game away at Wolves and didn't last much longer.

There's generally a reason why teams like Liverpool have Brad Jones sitting on the bench, because if the keepers were worthy of ever being number one at a huge club they would be. Heaton/Gerken is a bit different, both have a fairly good recent reputation, Gerken finished the season very strongly. I expect Heaton will be number one but I don't expect it'll be through any explicit guarantee now or before he signed terms.

We need two goalkeepers competing against eachother to keep them on there toes. If they are garunteed the starting spot every week they will lose form(like calamity James). We need two keepers competing to prove they deserve top spot and after they make a mistake give the other keeper a chance!

Archived