IGNORED

Agents Fee's Halved - Targets Missed Out On = Coincidence..?

Bar BS3

I see on the OS that the latest payments to Agents has just been released and Bristol City's "spending" on agents fees is down by half. This is excellent news. However, has it has any impact on those players that we were/have been reported too, have been interested in or close to signing..?

There were a few last summer and there appear to have been a few this summer (obviously not directly influencing these figures) but do they agents have so much power over players that the are able to direct them in the direction of their own biggest commission cheque...?

Unfortunately, yes, I think they often do!

I see on the OS that the latest payments to Agents has just been released and Bristol City's "spending" on agents fees is down by half. This is excellent news. However, has it has any impact on those players that we were/have been reported too, have been interested in or close to signing..?

There were a few last summer and there appear to have been a few this summer (obviously not directly influencing these figures) but do they agents have so much power over players that the are able to direct them in the direction of their own biggest commission cheque...?

Unfortunately, yes, I think they often do!

um the agent fees for this transfer window won't be reported until next year so no there is no link what-so-ever

I could be wrong and I will check now, but usually these kinds of figures cover a period of about 6 months ago, for the previous 12 months. So neither of those aspects would be relevant.

My concern is clubs who try to conduct theirselves morally, lose out to nothing more than effective back handers from other clubs, to player agents....?

It's from July 1st 2011 to June 30th 2012, so won't include this summer's signings.

Ok, so more upto date than I thought they might have been, but certainly covers a period where we were pipped to the post (judging from press reports) to a few players and I'm sure next years figures will show a similar trend.

I think it is a good thing that these parasites are finally being stood upto by clubs, but could it be a case of biting off our nose to spite our face, if all other clubs don't follow suit...?

um the agent fees for this transfer window won't be reported until next year so no there is no link what-so-ever

So we didn't lose out on any transfer targets over the past 12 months then...? Ok, as long as I know!

Ok, so more upto date than I thought they might have been, but certainly covers a period where we were pipped to the post (judging from press reports) to a few players and I'm sure next years figures will show a similar trend.

I think it is a good thing that these parasites are finally being stood upto by clubs, but could it be a case of biting off our nose to spite our face, if all other clubs don't follow suit...?

I can't think of the players we've been pipped to the post on. We just didn't sign many expensive players in that time window compared to the year previous. Kilkenny, Bolasie, Taylor, Foster, Pearson. The previous year was Stead, Pitman, James, Hunt, Stewart, Woolford...

So we didn't lose out on any transfer targets over the past 12 months then...? Ok, as long as I know!

I didn't know Derek McInnes and Teflon printed their transfer targets and put them on the web for the world to see,

My mistake

I think it just reflects that we haven't signed as many players in the last 12 months as we did the 12 months prior. Loans aren't going to involve big agent fees either and we used loans a lot.

Yep, agree. Only Derby and Coventry had fewer "transactions" than us. Hopefully we can get that loan figure down this season!

Good news this. Would rather the club operated at a healthy level than splashing stupidly on big name stars that may or may not work.

Shows the cost-cutting is working to an extent, well done to the club.

and we still remain compete

Good news this. Would rather the club operated at a healthy level than splashing stupidly on big name stars that may or may not work.

Shows the cost-cutting is working to an extent, well done to the club.

+1

Maybe...but it has to be a good thing we're cutting down on the fees paid to agents, surely? I'd much rather we missed out on the odd transfer and weren't held to ransom, than paying huge sums of money that go directly out of the game.

I've never understood why we should be paying agents for things like improved contracts. Surely that should be part of the fee paid by the footballer to his agent - much like the 10%-ers in the entertainment industry.

I really hope this is a part of a policy from the club to reduce it's spenditure year-on-year.

Archived