IGNORED

Tony Thorpe

meltonmowbrayred

Just signed for Melton in the Leicester Senior League as player/coach. So, those big money moves didnt make him (or city) rich. I think he cost £1.2m and ran his contract down so we got nothing; didn,t think much of him at the time but at least he is still having to work for living in the real world.

What a bizarre post! Has he been shagging your mrs....?!

Just got a thing about players shafting clubs that have helped in their developement by letting their contracts run down,whilst most of them are overpaid and end up rich even if they are average, simple as that really.

Let me explain how footballl works!

Club A have an asset. Club B believe that to obtain that asset from within his contractual obligations will cost £xxx.

Club A agree to that valuation and allow said asset to discuss personal terms with Club B.

Asset agrees terms for a period of xx years.

During xx years, Club C would need to then match Club B's new valuation, in order to obtain that asset.

At the end of xx year period, no contractual obligations exist between said asset and Club B. This leaves the asset free to discuss terms with Club X, Y & Z.

was a great servent to us and he wasn't treated that well by us,

anyway maybe he's signed for them because he you know wants to play football and he there to help that club out,

HHe was a top player for us and a really nice bloke, he made plenty of time for people at Gow's game too

51 goals in 128 games is good enough for me. He made it clear he wanted to move on, and he went with the club's blessing in the end. I thought he was a great player, and he was a thoroughly nice bloke, and I'm glad he's still involved in the game.

Was going to post something similar, although to be honest I couldn't care if he was a nice bloke - all I cared about was he did his job excellently by scoring goals for us.

I prefer to reserve my bile for those who've come here been paid big money and not achieved.

Yes - crazy original post AND maybe, just maybe he's carried on playing/coaching cos he loves the game.... Might not be about money at all. Didn't he also make the effort to come back for the Gow game? I've seen better in a City shirt but I've seen plenty worse!!!

Yes he played in Gerry Gow game, we obviously had to pay him good money to do so though......

Good luck to him.

Let me explain how footballl works!

Club A have an asset. Club B believe that to obtain that asset from within his contractual obligations will cost £xxx.

Club A agree to that valuation and allow said asset to discuss personal terms with Club B.

Asset agrees terms for a period of xx years.

During xx years, Club C would need to then match Club B's new valuation, in order to obtain that asset.

At the end of xx year period, no contractual obligations exist between said asset and Club B. This leaves the asset free to discuss terms with Club X, Y & Z.

Wow, is that how it works!!! I know how it works but dont have to like it, along with all the others that got up tight on the Maynard saga. We think because we love the club, players should have a little loyalty; even if they want to go they can sign an 1yr extention top ensure a fee is paid

51 goals in 128 games is good enough for me. He made it clear he wanted to move on, and he went with the club's blessing in the end. I thought he was a great player, and he was a thoroughly nice bloke, and I'm glad he's still involved in the game.

Completely agree mate.

Truly bizarre post. There has been a lot worse than him at this club. Was a good servant and did absolutely nothing wrong.

When he first came here he couldn't get a kick, Akinbiyi, Anderson and Torpey were all played over him.

Correct me of I am wrong but he didn't really get much of a sniff under Pulis either as his preferred two were Jones and Beadle.

He owed the club nothing, and after a slow start he hung in there and proved people wrong by notching an awful lot of goals for us.

The same cant be said of a lot of other players. Incredibly weird post.

Completely agree mate.

Truly bizarre post. There has been a lot worse than him at this club. Was a good servant and did absolutely nothing wrong.

When he first came here he couldn't get a kick, Akinbiyi, Anderson and Torpey were all played over him.

Correct me of I am wrong but he didn't really get much of a sniff under Pulis either as his preferred two were Jones and Beadle.

He owed the club nothing, and after a slow start he hung in there and proved people wrong by notching an awful lot of goals for us.

The same cant be said of a lot of other players. Incredibly weird post.

Dont forget, the fee was huge for the time, "he couldnt get a kick" ,why? maybe not good enough initially. Eventually, probably with the support, coaching of the club he starts scoring (i agree he was a proper goalscorer). Gets 51 goals in 2/3 seasons and then wants away. I suggest that ,nice bloke or not, he was not good value for the outlay (@ circa 20K per goal). Bob Taylor; Andy Cole, now there is value for money.

my childhood city hero, great player for us, instrumental in the auto-windscreen shield wembly cup run for us, and also had a good conversion rate in terms of goals to games.

Was at his best under wilson, him, murray and tinnion were by far the best 3 in our team (murray scored 26 that season).

I personally met him a few times, and he gave me his boots after 1 season, was a true gent when speaking to him.

not a bad word to say about him!

Dont forget, the fee was huge for the time, "he couldnt get a kick" ,why? maybe not good enough initially. Eventually, probably with the support, coaching of the club he starts scoring (i agree he was a proper goalscorer). Gets 51 goals in 2/3 seasons and then wants away. I suggest that ,nice bloke or not, he was not good value for the outlay (@ circa 20K per goal). Bob Taylor; Andy Cole, now there is value for money.

Still don't understand ur problem with him? Yeah we paid a lot but that's the clubs problem. Not his.

We didn't have any strikers apart from Torpey at the end of the promotion campaign. He was signed along with Akinibiyi and Anderson for big money.

Value for money?? I think he was on the long run. If your going on that basis as a reason as to why you didn't like him then you wouldn't like a lot of our players would you?

Just how many strikers havent been value for money? A lot more havent than have been.

http://vimeo.com/11428497

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Toneeeeeeeeee Thorpe, Tony Tony Tony Thorpe, Tony Tony Tony Thorpe, Tony Tony Tony thorpe Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Tony Thorpe

Him and Beadle (can't believe I said that) had a great understanding and scored a few together.

Great bloke and thanks for the memories.

Still don't understand ur problem with him? Yeah we paid a lot but that's the clubs problem. Not his.

We didn't have any strikers apart from Torpey at the end of the promotion campaign. He was signed along with Akinibiyi and Anderson for big money.

Value for money?? I think he was on the long run. If your going on that basis as a reason as to why you didn't like him then you wouldn't like a lot of our players would you?

Just how many strikers havent been value for money? A lot more havent than have been.

I agree, not many strickers give value for money, but my point is that given a £500K (for example) payment from the club we sold him to, he becomes good value for money.

If a player wants to go, he goes, but if a player sees that his club has invested/believed in him by paying out such a large fee, has stayed with him until he started scoring, the fans supported him (as seen by the replies here) etc, he would i suggest build a loyalty or even a love for that club and want to ensure they are not left without a fee when he leaves. A extra 1yr contract would have ensured a fee for him based on his strike rate. Does that make sense or am i being a bit sentmental/idealistic?

I agree, not many strickers give value for money, but my point is that given a £500K (for example) payment from the club we sold him to, he becomes good value for money.

If a player wants to go, he goes, but if a player sees that his club has invested/believed in him by paying out such a large fee, has stayed with him until he started scoring, the fans supported him (as seen by the replies here) etc, he would i suggest build a loyalty or even a love for that club and want to ensure they are not left without a fee when he leaves. A extra 1yr contract would have ensured a fee for him based on his strike rate. Does that make sense or am i being a bit sentmental/idealistic?

You are being sentimental/idealistic. There is no obligation on the player to accept new terms, same as there is no obligation on the club to offer them. Additionally is there another profession where it is expected that you would forgo money that might be paid to you as salary by a new employer so that it is given as a parting gift to your current employer?

If my memory serves me correctly , Thorpe was signed without John Ward really wanting him. Andersen and Akinbyi were his preferred 2 and the board signed him when Ward was on holiday. That might be why he didn't get a look in at the start.

On the other hand I may have dreamed it all !!

If my memory serves me correctly , Thorpe was signed without John Ward really wanting him. Andersen and Akinbyi were his preferred 2 and the board signed him when Ward was on holiday. That might be why he didn't get a look in at the start.

On the other hand I may have dreamed it all !!

I think that is about right, although I seem to remember us enquiring, being turned down for Thorpe, ward then got Anderson, went off on holiday, and found the board had got him a welcome back present. Money would have been better shoring up the defence after the loss of Taylor.

But as we dropped down a level, and the 3 wisemen came in and gave him more of a chance, history shows not a bad goalscorer. But the other two were better at championship level.

For the ability of our 1st division team, I think Thorpe should of scored more, never hit 20 league goals for us in a season, and really should of given our team and opposition. Not a bad record, but a tad overrated imo

Archived