IGNORED

Can We Learn From Team Gb?

Pedrowe

I understand that the Premier League exists due to simple noble greed. I understand that due to its self interest it will exert a negative influence on youth development i.e EPPP. The FA are impotent v the Premier league. Nothing learned from the Olympics can be relevent unless that greed is tackled.Team GB's performance was superb. The medal table did not lie as it was case of excellence across sports add boxing, gymnastics and more to that list. The 800 metre runner you had pop was the only athlete from europe in his final.

Your not getting his point, that 800m runner did his best and came 8th and everybody is congratulating him for his performance, That sqaud of footballers have done exactly the same at the Euros and they get slated for it?

As already said the blame lies with the FA not the players for not being good enough to compete past the 1/4 finals, before the tournament nobody expected us to get out the group remember.

Your not getting his point, that 800m runner did his best and came 8th and everybody is congratulating him for his performance, That sqaud of footballers have done exactly the same at the Euros and they get slated for it?

As already said the blame lies with the FA not the players for not being good enough to compete past the 1/4 finals, before the tournament nobody expected us to get out the group remember.

Don't be ridiculous. Did the footballers perform to the best of there ability NO. Completely different.

But you're confused about what the Premier league is there for. The Premier league isn't there to support the National football team. It's there to sustain itself and make a profit for its members.

The Premier Leagues initial concept was for it to be set up and designed to enhance the National Side of this country, you are wrong on that score.

Don't be ridiculous. Did the footballers perform to the best of there ability NO. Completely different.

Where have this set of players performed better than a quarter finals? It's equaled or matched their personal best.

The Premier Leagues initial concept was for it to be set up and designed to enhance the National Side of this country, you are wrong on that score.

And Shell's aim is to meet the energy needs of society, in ways that are economically, socially and environmentally viable, now and in the future.

Seriously the EPPP is designed to

Increase the number and quality of Home Grown Players gaining professional contracts in the clubs and playing first-team football at the highest level

Create more time for players to play and be coached

Improve coaching provision

Implement a system of effective measurement and quality assurance

Positively influence strategic investment into the Academy System, demonstrating value for money

Seek to implement significant gains in every aspect of player development

but what it actually means is that a category-A academy can go to any other training ground to watch a player (giving 48 hours notice) and effectively buy the player for a fixed fee starting from £3,000

Are people really naive enough to believe mission statements... guess there's always one. Made my points that were worth making on this thread /done with it.

I don't think the analogy is comparable. The athlete was the best in his field from europe and he did himself more than justice. England have stagnated over years, that is understating it. Britains athletes clearly have not. Some sports have over performed e.g boxing, cycling and rowing. That success is based on a long term view beyond greed is good. Football and its "stars" in the UK looks rancid to Joe public and for good reason.

I thought we'd get this. I had a moment of this myself after flicking between mountain bike riders breaking bones on that scary hazard ridden course to the Hazard at Chelsea throwing himself to the floor in the community shield. But then i thought about it.

But did you really watch the Olympics? Did you not see the shouting at the referee in the Volleyball? Did you not see the guys in the distance running trying to trip each other up? In the open water swimming competitors would slap and punch and try to rip each others goggles off. I've never seen a more incident ridden cheat fest as Water Polo. I can go on and on and on. Hockey, Basketball, Handball. The badminton players trying to lose matches to affect the match draws. Taekwondo players appealing for hits they didn't make all the time. The Dutch and Danish sailors claiming Ainslie hit a mark and him claiming he didn't!

Dwayne Chambers!

Bauge in the road race for crying out loud so he could switch to the track. Rene Enders entered in the mountain biking. I would have loved to have seen the tree thighed Enders go up those hills I tell you! But those are evil foreigners who sneak and bend the rules not like us Brits? Our very own Phillip Hines deliberately crashing to earn a restart in the mens cycling team sprint. God was I inspired by that! None of these things were against the rules, but fair play goes out the window when medals are on the line.

In a lot of sports at the Olympics it's really hard to cheat. Apart from drugs how do you cheat at Javelin or Long Jump or running or swimming? That's why they appear honourable. Because if there was a way to cheat or use the rules to win non footballers take it just as much as footballers do. There is absolutely something to say for the purity of competition where the outcome is based entirely on ability. Where a sport is so black and white as to avoid cheating. Where video replays can show you everything and are looked at leisurely so it means there is no possibility of cheating.

Football is not like this. Team sports are not like this. TeamGB good, football bad is brain dead thinking. To hold these athletes up as paragons of virtue is naive at best. In the sports they can act like footballers they do act like them.

If we want to look at personal lives is Usain Bolt going out mid tournament with the Swedish handball team ok? What if I dunno Joe Hart did that in the Euros? Is Jason Kenny getting off with Laura Trott who used to date another cyclist in the team GB squad cool? I remember John Terry getting weeks of bad news for the same thing with Wayne Bridge. Kenny's 24 and already got a kid from a previous relationship too! People are people, but noone cares about these cyclists private lives just as we shouldn't care about footballers. We absolutely should be bright enough to separate sporting performance from personal choice.

We just signed Cunningham from Man City. He left Ireland to come here to play football and develop. There's no difference between what he did and Mo Farrah. But he doesn't have a gold medal, so who cares right?There are good footballers, there are bad athletes and obviously vice versa.

Brilliant read.

Who is to say they didn't? Who is anyone to judge that those players didn't give 100%. Sometimes you can give your all and just not be good enough, that is what happened at the Euros

I don't think the analogy is comparable. The athlete was the best in his field from europe and he did himself more than justice. England have stagnated over years, that is understating it. Britains athletes clearly have not. Some sports have over performed e.g boxing, cycling and rowing. That success is based on a long term view beyond greed is good. Football and its "stars" in the UK looks rancid to Joe public and for good reason.

And yet the sport continues to attract high attendances, high viewing figures on TV, and large sums of money being handed over from Joe Public.

Are people really naive enough to believe mission statements... guess there's always one. Made my points that were worth making on this thread /done with it.

Whether you choose to accept it or not, it was designed to improve our national side originally, i'm not denying it was a big con either. Don't be so shitty about it.

Football is a beautiful game. Pity its so badly tainted by a few, but vociferous morons among those who play and watch the game...

That's not a reason to give up on a sport that's

provided so many with pleasure, at grass roots as well as top professional levels - as

participants and spectators...

All the more reason to work together to translate

the Olympic spirit, making our sport even better,

and football stadia places where families and

children can admire the skills of positive role

models...without being surrounded by mindless,

foul-mouthed chanting....

Well said - I agree wholeheartedly. I would add that it's also the responsibility of fans to be positive role models too.

Football can be cleaned up - and the archaic mindless, foul-mouthed, morons who think they can say what they like, when they like, to whomever they want, will have to think again and change their selfish behaviour.

Football has nothing to learn from the olympics.

Look at John Terry fine figure of sportmanship and led his country to failure before getting stripped of his captaincy or was that after that other business?

Forget about the super injunction look at Ryan Giggs who fought back in the face of adversity and led team GB to failure.

Add more aspirational football heros and inspirations such as Rooney and Cole.

Ennis, Farah and all the other lot need to shape up.

Football has nothing to learn from the olympics.

Look at John Terry fine figure of sportmanship and led his country to failure before getting stripped of his captaincy or was that after that

other business?

Forget about the super injunction look at Ryan

Giggs who fought back in the face of adversity

and led team GB to failure.

Add more aspirational football heros and

inspirations such as Rooney and Cole.

Ennis, Farah and all the other lot need to shape

up.

+ 1 good post

Archived