IGNORED

Danny Stays

sirscrumpton

DANNY IS STAYING SAYS LANSDOWN

11:00 - 31 May 2004

Steve Lansdown says Bristol City will take a "good hard look" at what they can and cannot afford to offer their out-of-contract stars. But the Ashton Gate chairman threw his weight firmly behind manager Danny Wilson and maintained: "He will remain in charge."

Lee Peacock, Louis Carey, Christian Roberts, Aaron Brown, Craig Woodman, Joe Burnell, Matthew Hill, Tony Rougier and Lee Matthews are among those sweating over their futures today.

Talks are likely to take off this week and a bitterly disappointed Lansdown said: "There are many aspects involved regarding the contracts. We have to consider how much money we have in the kitty and it's no secret the club is struggling financially.

"We simply cannot afford to pay above the odds with the income we bring in. If the players want something we cannot provide, we will wish them well and off they will go."

Of yesterday's loss, Lansdown said: "It was disappointing we didn't perform as well as we can do. Brighton did their job well and we didn't on the day.

"It was frustrating because 35,000 people came to back us, demonstrated real passion, and we let them down. That said, the players worked extremely hard and kept the ball well and it wasn't to be.

"There has been a regeneration of interest in Bristol City FC and I hope a lot of the fans will come back and encourage us to the success we all crave in the future.

"It is gut-wrenching we haven't won promotion but the players can take heart from the fact they have nothing to be ashamed about."

The Robins chief added: "We have the month of June off and then we will re-focus on the season ahead. Everyone believes we are a good side and capable of promotion.

"As far as Danny is concerned, he is manager of this football club and will be for the time being. He has a contract with us that will prevail."

"We have to consider how much money we have in the kitty and it's no secret the club is struggling financially."

If the club was in financial trouble then surely signings such as Miller, Goodfellow and the return of Murray would not have happaned. I'm obviously not suggestin he is lying but this is a strange comment indeed, one that implies he was gambling on promotion this year.

I think this could be the statement that prepares the fans for the release of people like Peacock, rather than a stone-cold fact that the club is in financial turmoil.

Lee Peacock

Louis Carey

Christian Robert

Aaron Brown

Craig Woodman

Joe Burnell

Matthew Hill

Tony Rougier

Lee Matthews

So I'm guessing these are the guys (at least the majority of them) out of contract this summer. I don't think Hill, Carey, Roberts or Brown have anything to sweat about, but the rest are a bit hit and miss.

As for the finances Jimmy, the board did gamble on promotion this year, thats why the money was put in, and its now why we must make significant cut-backs as the wage bill was basically heading towards Division 1 standard.

"As far as Danny is concerned, he is manager of this football club and will be for the time being. He has a contract with us that will prevail."

Hardly the most ringing endorsement of all time is it! Done a fantastic job - fully confident in him, hes the right man to take us forward? No - he's our manager for now and has a contract. Sounds like somebody is being carful about 'contructive dismissal".

Steve has put a lot of money into the club, and suppoorted his manager thus far. Entirely right to remind players it is not a bottomless pit.

Of yesterday's loss, Lansdown said: "It was disappointing we didn't perform as well as we can do. Brighton did their job well and we didn't on the day.

"It was frustrating because 35,000 people came to back us, demonstrated real passion, and we let them down. That said, the players worked extremely hard and kept the ball well and it wasn't to be.

Then do something about it !!!!!! :@

Bloody change the "leadership"

It aint bloody working !!!!

I'll tell you what.The more I read of Wilsons and Lansdowns comments the more I'm becoming tempted in selling my season ticket !!!!!

Guest bristolbred
I think Steve must be as naive as DW then.

At least it says "for the time being at the end."

We'll have to start a campagne to remove them both then!!, :Rage: :Fume:

Steve Lansdown has done exactly what any good Chairman should do - he has backed his executive. both on the record and with cash when asked.

I have little doubt he is now reflecting on whether he has the right executive. It is not an easy decision, and I have no doubt Steve will have the best interests of the club at heart on whatever decsion he makes.

We are extremmly lucky to have him, in my view.

Archived