IGNORED

Get The Olympic Spirit And See Where It Takes You

stortfordred

Interesting comments from Sam Allardyce in today's Times: 'Every football team nowadays faces negativity and it's spawned through websites. It's just riddled with negativity; never positives. Football is a negative world. I'm not taking about West Ham, I'm talking about all clubs. You wonder why some people keep going to football matches if they can't enjoy it.'

With all the good feeling caused by the positive attitudes shown at the Olympics, it makes me wonder if we might all start to feel better if the keyboard warriors caught some of that optimism. No it isn't 'happy clappy', it's just that the wave of positives can grow and affect the players so that they play with the shackles off.

Imagine going to work every day with the kind of negative vibes that flood this and (according to Sam) every forum. tell someone they are sh1t long enough and loud enough, and the prophesy will soon come true. Tell them they're great (without blowing smoke) and hey, who knows.

Footballers have to work hard too but don't you feel as supporters, we have a role to play? After all there's a clue in the word: 'support'.

I guess I'll get shot down in flames for suggesting positivity but I, for one, am going to be positive. So keyboard warriors: How about getting some Olympic Spirit going?

I get what your saying and the buzz around the Olympics was amazing but that positive buzz was mostly fueled by the fact that Team GB won a shed load of medals.

Would there have been such positivity if GB were crap at all events?

I'm not a keyboard warrior and generally air on the side of positivity when it comes to posting on here but I can see why some are more negative.

Positivity on the pitch will translate into positivity in the stands. Speak to any Man City fan or if you can speak spanish, a Spain fan.

I get what your saying and the buzz around the Olympics was amazing but that positive buzz was mostly fueled by the fact that Team GB won a shed load of medals.

Would there have been such positivity if GB were crap at all events?

I'm not a keyboard warrior and generally air on the side of positivity when it comes to posting on here but I can see why some are more negative.

Positivity on the pitch will translate into positivity in the stands. Speak to any Man City fan or if you can speak spanish, a Spain fan.

You are quite right but we didn't win our first medal until a quarter of the way through! People kept going!!

The support was still great in the basketball, handball, marathon etc when we didn't win a thing.

Perhaps if the over-paid "prima donnas" put in as much unbeliveable hard work, dedication and singel minded determination to improve their skills, performances and results as the Olympians, then they might get similar support and respect.

Absolutely spot-on; however if we have the attitude right, then perhaps it will rub off on the players. Praise loudly and publicly; criticise in private. that last bit is MacInnes' job: he needs to bomb out the 'prima donnas' and only pick those who want to put in hard work, dedication and single-minded determination. Youth team players who lose their license and Lamborghini drivers need not apply.

You are quite right but we didn't win our first medal until a quarter of the way through! People kept going!!

The support was still great in the basketball, handball, marathon etc when we didn't win a thing.

But people didn't go expecting Team GB to win anything. With football a lot of fans (especially City fans) seem to think that we should win every game they play and when we don't they get frustrated through their passion for their club.

People went to all the Olympic events because it was a once in a lifetime chance to be part of Olympics. No negativity to be had when there's nothing to lose.

But people didn't go expecting Team GB to win anything. With football a lot of fans (especially City fans) seem to think that we should win every game they play and when we don't they get frustrated through their passion for their club.

People went to all the Olympic events because it was a once in a lifetime chance to be part of Olympics. No negativity to be had when there's nothing to lose.

And lots to be gained. if you are positive. My point exactly!

If the 'passion' becomes negative, it has the opposite of the desired effect.

That's not really true though is it. We (well I did) expected Brad to medal in the TT and the track cyclists to do well. I also thought the rowers would do well.

So at least in these two events our class showed through and all the hard work paid off.

Last night we played a team 2 divisions below us and from my less than good view in the Williams they out-played us in every way.

We weren't unlucky, we didn't batter 'em for 90 mins but they hung on, we didn't loose to a flukey goal. In truth we were hardly in it any seriously threatening way and the result reflected the performance.

Yes I know it is almost a meaningless cup and we always get dumped by "inferior" opposition, but these are professionals players. It's what they are paid to do and quite honestly I am getting fed up with the lack of fight and competitiveness that ought to be there as a given.

maybe if amangers and players came up with something more than the dreary cliched crap that we here at every other club and every preseason, and actually communicasted with the fans, there may be a better response.

As it it ,football is just cloak and daggers, the clubs managers and players bought that mentality, and now there is a medium such as the internet and forums for fans to discuss things, many people can see football clubs for what they are

hyperbole cliches and BS to get the money through the turnstyles, with very little for the fans in return. As long as football is still using a model from the 60's 70's and 80's then it will stay the same. the fans are blatantly lied to year in year out, but the clubs know they can do it as fans are blindly loyal.

things need to change from the clubs first, before this negativity Big Sam questions will ever start to go away

Interesting comments from Sam Allardyce in today's Times: 'Every football team nowadays faces negativity and it's spawned through websites. It's just riddled with negativity; never positives. Football is a negative world. I'm not taking about West Ham, I'm talking about all clubs. You wonder why some people keep going to football matches if they can't enjoy it.'

With all the good feeling caused by the positive attitudes shown at the Olympics, it makes me wonder if we might all start to feel better if the keyboard warriors caught some of that optimism. No it isn't 'happy clappy', it's just that the wave of positives can grow and affect the players so that they play with the shackles off.

Imagine going to work every day with the kind of negative vibes that flood this and (according to Sam) every forum. tell someone they are sh1t long enough and loud enough, and the prophesy will soon come true. Tell them they're great (without blowing smoke) and hey, who knows.

Footballers have to work hard too but don't you feel as supporters, we have a role to play? After all there's a clue in the word: 'support'.

I guess I'll get shot down in flames for suggesting positivity but I, for one, am going to be positive. So keyboard warriors: How about getting some Olympic Spirit going?

Olympic Spirit is a media myth. Peaking one every four years! I admire the achievements of those athletes who excelled. It was a great event, however you may wish to spin it, but it is totally unlike football. It's almost like comparing a kiwi fruit with a banana on the basis that they are both fruit!! Had GB finished with 10-20 medals do you really believe this so called Olympic Spirit would have prevailed?? The clarion calls of 'What a waste of money' would have decimated the political spin over night!

Most of those who are disgruntled on OTIB, I believe are genuinely optimistic and positive about the new season. Whether 'keyboard warriors' or 'happy clappers' they remain loyal, hence the repeated renewals of S/Ts. It's hardly surprising then that when these supporters see a 'new improved' City lose AGAIN to a lower league team at home in the early rounds of the cup, with a team largely consisting of players who have struggled over the last two seasons, it rapidly bursts the bubble of positivity. I think McInnes is a good man but he has got a monumental job at AG and I expect irrespective of our support, that the team will do well to finish much higher than last season, unless we reinforce.

That's not really true though is it. We (well I did) expected Brad to medal in the TT and the track cyclists to do well. I also thought the rowers would do well.

So at least in these two events our class showed through and all the hard work paid off.

Last night we played a team 2 divisions below us and from my less than good view in the Williams they out-played us in every way.

We weren't unlucky, we didn't batter 'em for 90 mins but they hung on, we didn't loose to a flukey goal. In truth we were hardly in it any seriously threatening way and the result reflected the performance.

Yes I know it is almost a meaningless cup and we always get dumped by "inferior" opposition, but these are professionals players. It's what they are paid to do and quite honestly I am getting fed up with the lack of fight and competitiveness that ought to be there as a given.

Steady you will upset all the happy campers who can see nothing wrong with this club nothing has changed given away a penalty in our first match of any meaning,normal duff defending lack of shots no commanding defender and left up to Marvin to get our only goal....

I've not posted on here for a long time - in part because I'm very disillusioned with events at the Gate and don't want to add to the misery on this Forum. Suffice to say that the reasons for the gripes and moans almost exactly mirror the worst fears of those of us who were sceptics when Lansdown lost face over the SC walk-out, panicked, appointed Millen and went into exile.

But the main reason is that I've been working very full time on the Olympics...with a team of volunteers. And to the OPs point it's remarkable what can be achieved by people who really care about something. The roles our team have had have been amongst the most public, dealing with the stars of the Games and the organisers and stepping out in front of thousands of people. We're people from all walks of life bringing bags of experience and enthusiasm.

There's something that football can learn about harnessing the goodwill and expertise of supporters.

Perhaps if the over-paid "prima donnas" put in as much unbeliveable hard work, dedication and singel minded determination to improve their skills, performances and results as the Olympians, then they might get similar support and respect.

Who's to say they don't?

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Which comes first the effort or the positivity? In any case I support the OP's sentiments, there's not really a lot to be gained from negativity unless it's constructive criticism; some of which is found on this forum from time to time but largely it's just moaning. Don't get me wrong we should all be able to moan but we should also realise doing it on a public forum that can be read by the people we moan about could indeed lead to a lack of confidence. Anyway I suppose my point is that maybe if moaning was left behind closed doors or at work or in the pub, the constructive criticism was left to the management, and we concentrated on being positive on here maybe just maybe we could be playing our part in improving performances.

maybe if amangers and players came up with something more than the dreary cliched crap that we here at every other club and every preseason, and actually communicasted with the fans, there may be a better response.

As it it ,football is just cloak and daggers, the

clubs managers and players bought that

mentality, and now there is a medium such as

the internet and forums for fans to discuss

things, many people can see football clubs for

what they are

hyperbole cliches and BS to get the money

through the turnstyles, with very little for the

fans in return. As long as football is still using a

model from the 60's 70's and 80's then it will

stay the same. the fans are blatantly lied to

year in year out, but the clubs know they can do

it as fans are blindly loyal.

things need to change from the clubs first, before

this negativity Big Sam questions will ever start

to go away

Great post. This is one area where football has to clean up. Clubs have had it their way for too long.

Access to Olympians was open and refreshing.

Whereas, as you point out, football is all cloak and dagger bullshit - treating fans with contempt. Sky Sports is also guilty of treating fans like idiots, with their 'fake' excitement of a players desire to join a certain club - when we all know it's all about greed.

Archived