IGNORED

4-2-3-1 ?

Cobby

Could this possibly work the 2 CDM's would help our weakness in defence but going forward we'd have a playmaker and 2 wingers with pace to attack the opposition. I'd have:

Heaton

Foster. Fontaine. New Cb. Cunningham

Skuse. Elliot.

Woolford. Morris. Adomah

Stead

Me too that's what annoys me , this formation would make us a very hard team to beat

I agree that it would make us a hard team to beat, but I don’t think we would score sufficient goals to win many matches either. That said, with the midfield players / wingers we’ve got we won’t score many goals with any formation.

If Adomah and Wollford can come good this season and score a few and Elliot re-discovers his form of a few year ago it might be a different story.

Still think we are missing a gaol scoring midfield player.

If Killkenny were to play higher up the pitch could he perform up to standard consistently, especially against better opposition?.. He played well against Millwall in that role last season but they were poor.

Morris to me looks like a holding player, who keeps the play simple and ticking over, keeping us possession. Buszaky would fit into that mould nicely but that looks a million miles away now.

Last season people were crying over McInnes only picking one striker. Then the Euros happened and now those same people are crying that 4-4-2 is outdated.

Roy Hodgson actually said something sensible but sadly hasn't applied it to himself yet. It's about PLAYERS not formations. Now if he'd realise that there's a giant correlation between not giving the ball away all the time and there being no Scott Parker or Steven Gerrard in the team England might do better...

We don't have the number 10 who can drop back into midfield and still be a goal threat up front in this squad. We don't really have a goal threat striker at all. We don't have a quality holding midfielder. And we don't have two good center backs.

That's what will hurt us, not the formation.

Last season people were crying over McInnes only picking one striker. Then the Euros happened and now those same people are crying that 4-4-2 is outdated.

Roy Hodgson actually said something sensible but sadly hasn't applied it to himself yet. It's about PLAYERS not formations. Now if he'd realise that there's a giant correlation between not giving the ball away all the time and there being no Scott Parker or Steven Gerrard in the team England might do better...

We don't have the number 10 who can drop back into midfield and still be a goal threat up front in this squad. We don't really have a goal threat striker at all. We don't have a quality holding midfielder. And we don't have two good center backs.

That's what will hurt us, not the formation.

To play 4-5-1 you have to have someone who can play off the striker and really create an attacking threat, not sure we have that - plus you need a mobile, quick, strong centre forward with good touch who takes his chances - and we don't have that either

I'd say 4-3-3 was more likely for us, with two wide men who drop back and defend and 3 solid CMs who do a little bit of everything.

But as posted above, it's about the players - and you have to accept ours are not up to international standard so certain ways of playing aren't realistic.

Could this possibly work the 2 CDM's would help our weakness in defence but going forward we'd have a playmaker and 2 wingers with pace to attack the opposition. I'd have:

Heaton

Foster. Fontaine. New Cb. Cunningham

Skuse. Elliot.

Woolford. Morris. Adomah

Stead

Love it but move morris behind skuse and elliot and tell him to stand stillish to save his legs and play a pirlo kind of role. Not an advanced player like that by any means.

Archived