IGNORED

Centre-Half4U.com

stortfordred

Stevenage have revealed in-demand defenders Mark Roberts and Jon Ashton will stay at the club for the rest of the season.

Boro have turned down several bids from Doncaster for the duo, who will be out of contract next summer.

Chairman Phil Wallace said: "Our transfer policy was clear throughout the process and even though they are both out of contract at the end of this season, we made it clear that we would not sell such important players to a club in the same division as us before the season starts - that would make a mockery of what we're trying to achieve here.

"Mark and Jon have given so much to the club in the past few seasons that they deserved to be treated differently.

"They have both been inspirational for us and we need to keep that drive going as long as possible.

"At the end of the season we'll look at it again, but I'm so pleased we've found the middle ground that allows us all to totally focus on the job in hand. Now it's onwards to the new season."

We are not in the same division tho' ;)

I think having missed out on Gerrard and Keogh we must be looking at a Steve Caulker mark 2 to fill the gap of CB, we seem to have been trying to fill this spot for about 3 years and have not done so which does seem to be a massive failing at the club. I would imagine handing Carey an extension was in some way behind the fact we had no one in place and to provide cover and competition. Lets hope this changes asap it is important to get off to a good start and not find ourselves in the bottom 3 after 6 games as mentally this will effect performance

Archived