IGNORED

Wilson

ron10bc

This is getting a bit Millen like in terms of needing xyz and signing another player in a different position.

Hardly unexpected. Lets hope he stays fit, another jock for the McCity!

How many times has Del said he would only sign Wilson after signing his defender and striker as the funds were needed for this. Well he has signed him but no defender or striker with a day left until the new league season. I presume his transfer planning has gone up in smoke and he has realised that we are left in a position of having to sign Wilson to bolster the defence.If this had been Millen he would have been lynched by now. I am concerned by what is happening and if we will get these signings that have been a priority since May and in the case of a defender before then. If the Board is simply not paying funds then Del should have looked in the lower leagues not just carried on failing to sign his man. All this on a day when Pompey signed 10 .

Doubtless hes a good player but is he sound ? Looks like hes had more injury problems than Ribeiro

You all know I was a big fan of Ribeiro and I dont want any childish derogatory comments..but why have we just got rid of a 22 year old ( supposedly injury prone ) player with great potential and signed a 28 year old injury prone player without any.

Just asking the question as it doesnt make sense to me..

As over the top positive some are, i guess there has to be a balance and here they are.

Haters gonna hate, Potatoes gonna potatoe

Still need a centre back, but this is a positive.

Morris, Cunningham, Heaton, Anderson & now Wilson; Those are solid, squad building signings.

PS - Excuse my ignorance but who is Ben Edwards? Had a peek at our wikipedia page and he's listed as being a Jamaican midfielder who is squad number 38. No idea who he is!

Excellent decision. Whether or not we had signed another centreback, bringing in someone like Marc Wilson was always going to strengthen the team and in particular the defence.

I've never really thought of Foster as being good enough to be a first choice at rightback at this level - to me, he's the utility man. The first name on the subs' list. Cover. He's too versatile to be a good enough, dedicated rightback.

Also, to have someone of his experience is really going to help, particularly if we start with the younger, more inexperienced likes of Gerken, James Wilson and Cunningham around him. It would be asking too much for Liam Fontaine to lead on his own.

Good call... my only worry is that Del will still try and find a place in the starting eleven for Foster!

• Admin

The 1 is Wilson. He has no 100% confirmation that the other two will sign.

Like the poster said, del said he wouldn't sign Wilson until he had covered the other two positions. He is correct.

2 maybe signings are not 2 definite signings.

Are you a mole Mr monkeh, a bcfc plant? It seems you back everything city say, no matter how wrong it is. I can understand backing, but from your post history, you would back city if lansdown, or a city employee stated the moon was made of cheese!

Actually he isn't correct.

That is how OTIB have chosen to interpret his words. I will only paraphrase his words (as I can't be bothered to go back and check them exactly!) but when presented with the question of whether he'd like to sign Wilson Del replied that Wilson was a good player but that his position wasn't a priority. He did not utter the words "I will not sign Wilson until I have signed a striker & a centre back".

In an ideal world we would have done but with Forest fast approaching, Derek has acted to sign the player he was hoping to sign last before the other 2 positions to give us a greater chance of getting something from the first game.

My own stated belief was that he was looking to sign the other 2 positions first and that if there were funds leftover, he would also sign Wilson. I presume the brevity of the contract is that as the other 2 signings have become protracted the board have given Del permission to sign Wilson until January regardless of the cost of the other 2 positions. Whether we can extend the Wilson deal beyond January will depend on several factors, namely; the original position of how much the other 2 signings cost us & how well we are doing come January (ie are we getting big crowds).

Actually he isn't correct.

That is how OTIB have chosen to interpret his words. I will only paraphrase his words (as I can't be bothered to go back and check them exactly!) but when presented with the question of whether he'd like to sign Wilson Del replied that Wilson was a good player but that his position wasn't a priority. He did not utter the words "I will not sign Wilson until I have signed a striker & a centre back".

In an ideal world we would have done but with Forest fast approaching, Derek has acted to sign the player he was hoping to sign last before the other 2 positions to give us a greater chance of getting something from the first game.

My own stated belief was that he was looking to sign the other 2 positions first and that if there were funds leftover, he would also sign Wilson. I presume the brevity of the contract is that as the other 2 signings have become protracted the board have given Del permission to sign Wilson until January regardless of the cost of the other 2 positions. Whether we can extend the Wilson deal beyond January will depend on several factors, namely; the original position of how much the other 2 signings cost us & how well we are doing come January (ie are we getting big crowds).

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

That suggests he would sign after other positions have been filled.

This is more of a problem with what he says to the internal and external media departments, one person sees one quote another person sees a slightly different quote.

Very pleased with this signing. But to me it suggests we are not close to signing a centre half??

I think Del has acted before we lose out on his signature as he would have thought we would have a solid centre back by now?

I have a feeling the same, especially with the length of contract, I can see it going right up to deadline day, or perhaps even the next window, given the 5 month contract

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

That suggests he would sign after other positions have been filled.

This is more of a problem with what he says to the internal and external media departments, one person sees one quote another person sees a slightly different quote.

He says "1 or 2 positions we want to fill first", you don't always get what you want, and this is a prime example of that.

Nowhere does he say he "won't" or "wouldn't" sign him until the priority positions are filled.

In an ideal scenario our first two signings would have been a CB and a CF but unfortunately thing don't always work out the way you would like.

I have a feeling the same, especially with the length of contract, I can see it going right up to deadline day, or perhaps even the next window, given the 5 month contract

Agreed. To be honest if it goes up to the last day I don't care as long as we 100% get the right centre half we so desperately need.

I don't want to see a deal rushed through and us be lumbered with a player no better than what we have.

I am sure come 31st August we will all be delighted by a quality centre half signing :)

Archived