IGNORED

David Bentley

mightyreds89

Completley out of the Blue David Bentley of spurs popped into my head... Not going to be in their 25 and will be looking for a loan move for sure.. Anyone for a season long loan maybe Del is the man to resurrect his career as he has stalled in latest last few seasons and a few yets back was quality! Can play wide or in the middle... My perception is got too big for his boots but must still have it... If we were for any reason to loose Albert last min for the right amount would people be happy with DB as a stop gap?

Every time I think of David Bentley I think of David Noble, undoubted talent, but wont apply himself.

Football is a hobby to him, it's something he's good at naturally, but cares very little about. It's not a career to him, it's the thing he earned a lot of money at and is enjoying the riches. It would be a hopeless case of trying to get him to work for a living now, he's David Bentley - football star. Unfortunately there will be some mug who will pick up the tab, I really hope it isn't us.

he may just be happy to sit on his arse and earn his money, however if he wants to be playing week in week out his next contract won't be anywhere near his current one, he was on loan at West Ham last year and they obviously didn't rate him enough to take him on in the premier league, so I don't doubt Del COULD get Bentley playing very well, but theres about a 1% chance this would happen due to wages and probably Bentley not wanting to come to us.

This is a wasted talent. When he first came onto the scene he appeared to have all that he needed to make it to the very top but seems to be yet another good player who is happy to pick up the big pay checks but not papply himself in order to maximise his ability.

I remember reading an article about him 4-5 years ago, when he was at Blackburn. He said he was the kind of player who needed discipline; he said if you gave him an inch he'll take a mile. Not the kind of player we need to gamble on, we actually seem like quite a stable club at the moment.

Harry Redknapp has made his career out resurrecting the likes of Bentley but even he failed with the man himself.

Great manager though he is, Redknapp made his career out of shipping out/freezing out players he doesn't rate and getting new ones in. Darren Bent, Niki Kranjcar, Giovanni Dos Santos and Roman Pavluchenko are among countless players he didn't rate that have done well elsewhere. Not saying Bentley could be got back on track - the signs from West Ham and Birmingham don't look great - but Redknapp isn't exactly the kind of manager that persists with players he doesn't rate and I wouldn't necessarily see his freezing out of Bentley as a sign that the guy is beyond redemption.

Great manager though he is, Redknapp made his career out of shipping out/freezing out players he doesn't rate and getting new ones in. Darren Bent, Niki Kranjcar, Giovanni Dos Santos and Roman Pavluchenko are among countless players he didn't rate that have done well elsewhere. Not saying Bentley could be got back on track - the signs from West Ham and Birmingham don't look great - but Redknapp isn't exactly the kind of manager that persists with players he doesn't rate and I wouldn't necessarily see his freezing out of Bentley as a sign that the guy is beyond redemption.

Probably being picky here - but are there any/many managers who this doesn't apply too?!

What sort of Manager would you be if you persued with players that you didn't rate and replaced them with ones that you did?

Probably being picky here - but are there any/many managers who this doesn't apply too?!

What sort of Manager would you be if you persued with players that you didn't rate and replaced them with ones that you did?

Ones with far smaller budgets than Redknapp's had to work with. I'd say even McInnes last season had to try and get the best out of players he didn't really want in the long-term in order to keep us in the division.

I get what you're saying but Port Said Red seemed to implying Redknapp is some kind of master at getting the best out of players who've lost their way and nobody else seems to rate and I was just pointing out he's as quick to discard players he doesn't fancy as anyone and one of his biggest flaws at Spurs was his failure to rotate and utilise his whole squad...

Keith Millen?

Who did KM not rate yet continue to stick by?

Whether his (or any other managers') judgement of a player is inline with other peoples, is not the point. Surely by the very nature of not rating a player, it means that you try to move them on and replace them with someone else (unless you have serious financial restraints that make this not possible.

Archived