IGNORED

Calling All Creatives! Fancy Designing A New Logo?

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

It’s time for a makeover!

The Supporters Club, established since 1949, and Supporters Trust, formed in 2005, have merged and we now need a new logo to represent the enlarged organisation, the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust, which will use the strap-line ‘One voice, Your voice’.

The new logo should be striking and instantly recognisable. It should be of a design that can be reproduced clearly in a multitude of environments and on a diverse range of materials, not least on paper and online.

The number of colours used should be kept to a minimum to reduce future printing costs. A monochrome version of the logo should also be submitted.

There is no stipulation regarding shape. However, bear in mind that it needs to fit well on letterheads and as part of the main branding on a new website. It should also remain clearly recognisable even when reduced to a relatively small size.

As a reminder, the logos used by the two organisations in their former lives as separate entities are shown below.

trust_and_club_logos.gif

Please submit your designs to info@bristolcityst.org.uk by not later than midnight on Sunday 30th September.

In addition to the kudos of being the designer of the Supporters Club & Trust’s new logo, the winning designer will also receive Diamond Membership of the Supporters Club & Trust for the 2012/13 season (includes free matchday access to the club bar), a City Till I Die book and a scarf. All other entrants making the shortlist will receive Gold Membership for this season (includes bar access), book and scarf.

I think it would be madness to ditch the crest from the 1949 Supporters Club; use that and add the necessary typo alterations and perhaps tidy up the number of colours. Full colour need not cost that much more than 4 colour these days so there is no real incentive to ditch colours.

+1

While i do like the crest i have to agree its more Bristol City Council than Bristol City Football Club.

There are a lot of places that use the crest of the city of Bristol and i guess as the man is asking it would be nice to have something recognisable without having to read the writing at the bottom to find out exactly what.

If anything the later supporters trust one is more recognisable as having anything to do with the club.

While i do like the crest i have to agree its more Bristol City Council than Bristol City Football Club.

There are a lot of places that use the crest of the city of Bristol and i guess as the man is asking it would be nice to have something recognisable without having to read the writing at the bottom to find out exactly what.

If anything the later supporters trust one is more recognisable as having anything to do with the club.

I don't see anyone suggesting its more City Council, correct me if I missed something, other than your good self so you are agreeing with yourself!!

However, how a crest that mimics the same of the very football club it represents, which has been used since the club was founded, is more City Council is lost on me; It is on every single City shirt last time I checked. If that is not recognisable as the insignia of everything that is Bristol City Football Club I am not sure what is.

I disagree totally with ditching tradition for short term 'fashion' reasons. By all means study how the emblem could be 'modernised' but that exercise should be undertaken by the club for the officially recognised identity. Until then, I would simply carry on using it for the merged organisation. I have a strong feeling that any club makeover will happen when we are promoted and be done professionally.

I don't see anyone suggesting its more City Council, correct me if I missed something, other than your good self so you are agreeing with yourself!!

However, how a crest that mimics the same of the very football club it represents, which has been used since the club was founded, is more City Council is lost on me; It is on every single City shirt last time I checked. If that is not recognisable as the insignia of everything that is Bristol City Football Club I am not sure what is.

I disagree totally with ditching tradition for short term 'fashion' reasons. By all means study how the emblem could be 'modernised' but that exercise should be undertaken by the club for the officially recognised identity. Until then, I would simply carry on using it for the merged organisation. I have a strong feeling that any club makeover will happen when we are promoted and be done professionally.

Apologies yes the Bristol City Council bit was more my ramblings but taken off the back of what the original post was written for. They are asking for a clear instantly recognisable logo that sets them apart from the football club (and anything else) but also contains themes to link them.

The council uses a logo with the ship and castle but based of an older coat of arms before the unicorns were added.

My point is that the crest is that of the City of Bristol and has been in use by the rulers/council/mayor since around 1570 (with unicorns) according to a quick search on the internet. Slightly pre-dating the club...

I'm no expert on design but common sense would say a logo (as wanted) should be instantly recognisable and not rely on people reading the fine print (text at the bottom) to see exactly what it is.

You could argue that at first glance the logo could be that of the official club and not the supporters trust until you read what it says.

http://www.ngw.nl/int/gbr/b/bristol.htm

The crest has not always represented the SC and a robin has been used even before citys top flight shirt robin badge days

and i've since never associated the crest with the SC as since i've never seen much of their merchandise about, websites or anything apart from the page on the bcfc website..

Things to consider when selling merchandise is to try and please both sets of fans who like the robin and crest (if ever possible).

A collection of pin badges, some recent but some very old including a supporters club pin badge also a very old pin

badge with ''robbie robin'' on which was once used by the club as a nick name for the robin, a bit like scrumpy today.

gate345bfv.jpg

pinbadges.jpg

Although i like the trust current badge maybe just change the name but also I like the robin on the gate badge which was used on the clubs programme in 1974 and sold on club programme merchandise the design back was done by a fan after the club asked people to submit designs

original design (bare in mind this was 1972 and the pin badge collection above shows the end product)

A 57-year old rugby fan, Harry Winn, won the prize in 1972 by coming up with a robin on a five-bar gate. Appearing in the programme and on City’s merchandise it never graced the club shirts which continued to show the coat of arms untill close season 1976-77.

img179918406.jpg

I guess if it has to be then it could be a design that represents both section of badge fans, robin/crest and maybe use both in some way like this very old rosette which could be re-drawn? simple but tells the story.

I do feel though the old robin badge used in the 70's on wards gave us our own ID and currently every fan group including the trust is using a robin, parkend flag, a robin, eastend ernie a robin the winning surfer flag vote which was online and paper vote in the dolman hall bares the old robin badge and it's some thing the club should think further about when selling more merchandise, the little things like stickers, badges etc as i won't buy anything with the crest on and i go and get my own made if i want them and it shouldn't have to be like that as me a customer,, but hey ho, let, see what designs crop up...

a1rossey.jpg

cityv1935.jpg

cityvrovers1957.jpg

It’s time for a makeover!

The Supporters Club, established since 1949, and Supporters Trust, formed in 2005, have merged and we now need a new logo to represent the enlarged organisation, the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust, which will use the strap-line ‘One voice, Your voice’.

The new logo should be striking and instantly recognisable. It should be of a design that can be reproduced clearly in a multitude of environments and on a diverse range of materials, not least on paper and online.

The number of colours used should be kept to a minimum to reduce future printing costs. A monochrome version of the logo should also be submitted.

There is no stipulation regarding shape. However, bear in mind that it needs to fit well on letterheads and as part of the main branding on a new website. It should also remain clearly recognisable even when reduced to a relatively small size.

As a reminder, the logos used by the two organisations in their former lives as separate entities are shown below.

trust_and_club_logos.gif

Please submit your designs to info@bristolcityst.org.uk by not later than midnight on Sunday 30th September.

In addition to the kudos of being the designer of the Supporters Club & Trust’s new logo, the winning designer will also receive Diamond Membership of the Supporters Club & Trust for the 2012/13 season (includes free matchday access to the club bar), a City Till I Die book and a scarf. All other entrants making the shortlist will receive Gold Membership for this season (includes bar access), book and scarf.

Are scanned copies of hand drawn logos acceptable?

I think it would be madness to ditch the crest from the 1949 Supporters Club; use that and add the necessary typo alterations and perhaps tidy up the number of colours. Full colour need not cost that much more than 4 colour these days so there is no real incentive to ditch colours.

The first ever badge on a city shirt was in 1901 which was a crest, however from 1903 to 1948-9 there was no badge on the shirts until 1949.

Fans have showed banners with a robin on in 1935 and a club mascott using a robin in 1937 so it all looked geared up for a robin badge.

In 1949 the first robin badge appeared in the same season the supporters club was formed so it would appear that everything about the club

would have been toying with a robin including the supporters club, as the pin badges also show.

So it seems the Supporters club like the trust had traditionally formed originally using a robin logo

http://www.historica...ristol_City.htm

394351_536011519757930_618823225_n.jpg

img179918406.jpg

I would personally think this would be the perfect logo for the club and trust to use. You could change the wording like if you changed the football club to club & trust. Or, you could change the bristol city to supporters on the top and Club & trust on the bottom. Or you could have a football in where the cross is, between bristol city and football club. Perhaps someone could have a go at it.

10297_103647819790028_1230320784_n.jpg

That is really excellent work mate! I liked all three but I think the last one stands out. Looks class. I hope you're going to put this one forward yourself. Far better than what I tried to do last night haha.

I have noticed that the actual gate has 8 panels, it rings a bell with the ashton gate 8.

It would be nice if we could keep this thread at the top of the forum so we can discuss general design ideas for flags/badges etc. So the members who are interested could use it easier instead of creating a new thread. I know there is a facebook group who discuss them but I don't use it. Because I spend too much time on this forum anyway haha.

• SC&T Board Members

Thanks to everyone for all the great design ideas - both posted here and submitted by post and e-mail.

The closing date for entries has now passed.

We'll announce the next stage of the process after the Supporters' Club & Trust meeting on Thursday.

Archived