IGNORED

Away Days

Monkeh

I'm bored at work at the minute so I thought I'd post this,

Whats everyones favourite away ground/trip and why?

Best away trip I was on is Mansfield for obvious but I won't use that one,

Mine is torquay always a good friendly bunch we always took loads and it was a cracking night out,

closely followed by Cheltenham both Plainmoor (Torquay) and Whaddon Road (Cheltenham) are propper old school football grounds for me and you always seem to get a great atmosphere and you can mingle with the home fans and have a decent day/night out at those places,

Whats yours?

used to love all the Brum area grounds - blues, west brom, wolves. always a huge terrace, a great big following from city and a real sense you were in a proper football ground. loved the old baseball ground at derby for it's sheer weirdness - only went there once, but I'm glad to say it was the 4-3 epic we had up there. what an atmosphere, what a mental game. of course, brentford when it was terrace was also a brilliant day on the piss with a great following from us. another ground i only went to once, but really happy to do so, was the old den. was only a young un and was very glad to be on the offiicial cats coaches coz that really didn't look like a place you'd want to get caught out - even the ground looked terrifying with what can only be described as fences topped with skewers - blimey. to be honest though, i miss all the old grounds - oxford with it's seven or so different stands (!), even twerton with that little garden shed :)

used to love all the Brum area grounds - blues, west brom, wolves. always a huge terrace, a great big following from city and a real sense you were in a proper football ground. loved the old baseball ground at derby for it's sheer weirdness - only went there once, but I'm glad to say it was the 4-3 epic we had up there. what an atmosphere, what a mental game. of course, brentford when it was terrace was also a brilliant day on the piss with a great following from us. another ground i only went to once, but really happy to do so, was the old den. was only a young un and was very glad to be on the offiicial cats coaches coz that really didn't look like a place you'd want to get caught out - even the ground looked terrifying with what can only be described as fences topped with skewers - blimey. to be honest though, i miss all the old grounds - oxford with it's seven or so different stands (!), even twerton with that little garden shed :)

This^

^ this x 2

Mansfield holds a special place in my heart, not for the 5-4, which I wasn't at, but it was my first away day 88 or 89, lost 0-1 to a Trevor Christie header iirc

Poland - you forgot to add Walsall to your Brum ground list, how many times did we take over Fellows Park back in the day?

^ this x 2

Mansfield holds a special place in my heart, not for the 5-4, which I wasn't at, but it was my first away day 88 or 89, lost 0-1 to a Trevor Christie header iirc

Poland - you forgot to add Walsall to your Brum ground list, how many times did we take over Fellows Park back in the day?

Mansfield is my least favourite , I got knicked up their the season after they beat us in the FR Trophy !!

Too many good away trips to narrow it down , although Aldershot was always a great day out.

^ this x 2

there's a few quality ones i've missed - always loved trips up to shrewsbury an all - i seem to remember in the early or mid-90s we set an all time low for an away following by taking ONE fan up there for the Autoglass or something??? if anyone on here was the lone fan up there, stick your hand up son, could do with a laugh.

for those following city back in the day, I believe Burnden Park holds a few memories, particularly the game when we took about 5,000 up there in the promotion season? wasn't there that day, but went a cpl of times after - proper football ground, falling to pieces but loved it all the same.

there's a few quality ones i've missed - always loved trips up to shrewsbury an all - i seem to remember in the early or mid-90s we set an all time low for an away following by taking ONE fan up there for the Autoglass or something??? if anyone on here was the lone fan up there, stick your hand up son, could do with a laugh.

for those following city back in the day, I believe Burnden Park holds a few memories, particularly the game when we took about 5,000 up there in the promotion season? wasn't there that day, but went a cpl of times after - proper football ground, falling to pieces but loved it all the same.

Will never forget that day , not least because the bloke who used to hire our coaches or minibus for away games , could only get hold of a single decker bus !! Did about 50 MPH all the way up to Bolton !! We all went in fancy dress as well , great day out , except for the result (which is pretty standard following City I suppose)

Eastville,a fun packed day,meet in old market,drink in a few pubs on stapleton rd,then on to the queens head and in later days the old fox(anyone else remember our visit).When I was younger and living in southmead we used to walk down Muller rd,the sags from filton,lockleaze,patchway and henbury would avoid us like the plague.Favourite game the 2-1 fa cup win,or maybe the 4-1 win (in 74 I think)

That play off semi at Fellows Park in the 80s was a bit lively wasn't it? One of the most violent hooligan firms in the land went on the rampage in huge numbers that night: the West Midlands Constabulary. Nasty bastards :angry:

I can remember about 500 of us doing the "dying fly" at Shrewsbury in the early 80's. I think We lost 4-0 that day?,, just for a change!

I'll give you some shockers if you like...

Aldershot - always took your life in your hands there!

Grimsby - stank of fish.I mean it really,really did.

York - nice pubs but the latrines in the away open terrace resembled the Somme in 1917.

Wrexham - always cold and wet. And is in Wales.

Upton Park - suicide.

Scarborough - cannot park for 3 miles either way around the ground,see why they went bust as no-one ever went twice.Didn't see City there,was visiting friends.

Best was easily the old Burnden Park (sp?), always a top day out to Bolton.

SX, one time I went to wrexham, walked out after ten mins to get back to the pub. too cold for me. little did I know that i would later move to bloody poland :/ still reckon our winters out here aren't as harsh as standing at the racecourse ground mind. rubbish away that trip was, went with an arsenal mate who was used to big time, and we ended up on the piss in some ropey wrxham pubs, got kicked off the train at shrewsbury for pissing off the welsh, fell asleep in the pub in shrewsbury then got a kicking in a fish shop. somehow ended up in wolverhampton where we found a pair of gloves left behind in a phone box and shared one each it was so cold. looked like a pair of tramps. had to cab it back to birmingham where we knew a lad who had a flat by bouncing a cheque to the cab driver. one of the worst away days of my life, but looking back now, would swap that for anything you get :) it was all made the worthwhile when we got to brum and the lad we kipped at ordered a steaming hot vindaloo from his local indian. it still tinkles my tonsils, eating that was the closest i've come to eating a letter bomb.

rgds Bolton - one of my worst kickings at football, but yes, a great day out and you take the rough with the smooth :)

grimsby, went there once on new years day!!!!! ouch.

Ipswich and Norwich used to be good away days, good crowds, big stadiums and decent supporters. Probably still are. Remember one memorable game at Portman Road where City got a really late equaliser (Bob Taylor I think?) to cap a great rearguard performance. I also went there once for Ipswich v Leeds with some Leeds mates and "Chas & Dave" stopped to ask us for directions when we were walking from the station. Now that's something that you don't get every day!.

Ipswich and Norwich used to be good away days, good crowds, big stadiums and decent supporters. Probably still are. Remember one memorable game at Portman Road where City got a really late equaliser (Bob Taylor I think?) to cap a great rearguard performance. I also went there once for Ipswich v Leeds with some Leeds mates and "Chas & Dave" stopped to ask us for directions when we were walking from the station. Now that's something that you don't get every day!.

famous people at away days!! there's one :D was at Torquay, 96 (??) me and a couple of others on a night game in the first round of league cup. cracking 3-3 game on a tight terrace packed with city. after the match we decide to stay the night in torquay, and after nearly getting some friendly fire from our token military faction - jesus lads, we're effing briz!! - get slaughtered in town and start the hunt for substances of a chemical kind. find them from an obliging scouser who takes us on a near death experience. the camper van was like the bunker in Platoon with a bit of Charles Manson chucked in.

We rise the next morning with sun beaming through the van, not sure if we're alive or dead, tripping or poisoned or high or in heaven. either way, think a couple of us had our first stroke. Swish the door open and bang, realize we're right in front of the Torquay theater. At the very moment Rod, Jane and Freddy from Rainbow fame exit the doors to an awaiting car. "It's Rod, Jane and effing Freddy" we shout in unplanned unison. They dive into the car aside from Freddy who gives it a thumbs up, and an 'alright lads'. Top lad! Bet he wanted a bit of what we had! ended the trip very twitctchy and heart-attacky with a bag of live lobsters for the journey back coz the driver wanted 'proper food' for later.

This is an an unfair myth. The game was an Auto Windscreens game and I was there. The "One" city fan behind the goal was actually a ballboy. There were around 50 of us and they put us in the Main Stand. We lost on penalties too.

This is an an unfair myth. The game was an Auto Windscreens game and I was there. The "One" city fan behind the goal was actually a ballboy. There were around 50 of us and they put us in the Main Stand. We lost on penalties too.

good job I didn't promise to buy all city who were there a pint. Amazing how these myths start, I even remember it printed in one of the football mags of the time! cheers for putting that un to bed!

And welcome to Super Premiershit Sunday!! We're here in the identikit bowl of the latest Premershit wannabe. What an atmosphere! What a ground!

Aha, football ain't what it used to be.

Anyway, I've always liked Nottingham trips, either club.

That play off semi at Fellows Park in the 80s was a bit lively wasn't it? One of the most violent hooligan firms in the land went on the rampage in huge numbers that night: the West Midlands Constabulary. Nasty bastards :angry:

Couldn't get to that semi, the WMC were, and still are nasty bastards

Added that little bit extra to the day though, looking back!

Away Day highlights? Chester? There were a couple of bouncers on the door of a pub that my mate and I wanted to gain entrance to. "Where are your lot?" I was asked. I shrugged my shoulders and walked in. All of a sudden there was an enormous roar and crash of glass just around the corner. "I think they've just arrived" I said helpfully. Luton? some City fans were having a right pop at some "posh bloke" in the Pavilion to our left. When he got fed up, he flicked two fingers up at the City fans. Someone complained and Bedfordshire's finest led him away (probably for his own safety). Alder bloody shot and the nature ramble that followed the game. Reading? think that one's been covered before. Eastville? The year the Gas Busters flag made an appearance over the barriers from the M32. Blues with the 4-0 win and the riot that followed. Filbert Street when Dziekanowski had a field day. Forest? The FA Cup Tie in January. Possibly the coldest I've been in my life. I remember standing at the back of their "away" end when an inoffensive little breeze hit us. It must have come straight from Siberia without as much as a tree to break it's path. Hundreds just suddenly yelped in unison as our backs suddenly froze...."oooohhh ******* Hell"... then burst into spontaneous laughter. Brentford? The rain was vertical and the guy in front of me at the Tea Stall (dressed in sombrero and shorts) ordered 6 cups of Tea. The six steaming plastic cups were placed on a cardboard tray and the fella walked back to the terracing.... until... the (now soaked) cardboard tray disintegrated and Brentfords best tea was volleyed straight into a Cop who wasnt best amused and tried to arrest the fella in sombrero and shorts. His mates arrived to give him a hand and the cop took a smack in the mouth for his lack of humour before the rest of The Met on duty that day came tumbling down to support one of their own. The Goldstone Ground? A midweek fixture and just as I arrived at the turnstiles, another (obviously) inebriated City fan was being spoken to. "You're drunk" claimed the cop. "I'm alright boss" slurred the City fan and promptly slid down the wall.

Archived