IGNORED

It's All Kicking Offf!

beijing red

Went down to the 60,000 Workers Stadium tonight, tickets in back pocket (top of the range £15), ready to support my new 2nd favourite team....Beijing Guoan.

Arrived at Stadium to find it very dark and very silent. Just a few mysterious vans around with darkened windows. Seemed a bit strange as I'd heard match days are really buzzing quite a few hours before K.O.

Got to an office and after a lot of English/Chinese non understanding, managed to find out that the Police had cancelled the match because of the unrest with Japan over a few tiny Islands.....Ring any bells?

Might get myself over to the Japanese Embassy tomorrow to check it out...........AVE IT!!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/15/china-japan-disputed-islands-protest.html

I was in Beijing recently, working with the company who are trying to bring more football to china from Europe. It is headed up by "Han", who I gather was a great centre back in Beijing. They arranged the man city vs arsenal game which was scheduled to be played just up the road from the workers stadium at the birds nest, on he same day London 2012 opened.

They quickly signed up bayern Munich, who played a week later.

They have more big plans, so watch this space.

Given my affections for BCFC, and the power of red, I may have to talk with Lansdown Jnr about taking our lot out there....

Beijing is a great city. I hope you are enjoying it?

Brainwashed fools.

Shouldn't they be protesting the Chinese government over their appalling human rights record and lack of democracy?

What like we should be protesting over our governments hipocracy, human rights abuse in foreign country's, illegal wars and many other dodgy practices all done supposedly in the name of freedom.

Let's face it most people don't give a shit if they are doing alright and if they are not (as is starting to happen in china like everywhere else) then there's nothing like a bit of government endorsed jingoisum to focus the individuals problems elsewhere.

I was in Beijing recently, working with the company who are trying to bring more football to china from Europe. It is headed up by "Han", who I gather was a great centre back in Beijing. They arranged the man city vs arsenal game which was scheduled to be played just up the road from the workers stadium at the birds nest, on he same day London 2012 opened.

They quickly signed up bayern Munich, who played a week later.

They have more big plans, so watch this space.

Given my affections for BCFC, and the power of red, I may have to talk with Lansdown Jnr about taking our lot out there....

Beijing is a great city. I hope you are enjoying it?

Bit of a Culture shock to start with. But getting to grips with it now.

I think they like red, so getting City over here would be fantastic...well for me at least!

You could also get Cardiff over here as well. It would be like a home game for them.

But the way things are developing over here, best not invite anybody that's sponsored by a Japanese company!

I used to work in Beijing back in the late 90s. Go to the Nashville Bar and give my regards to Dave (my) Sun ... they still have a Bristol City pennant on display. If not on display they will not have thrown it away. They have moved after the sanlitun redevelopment but you should find them ... a fine drinking establishment.

I spent a few happy times following Gouan, they were not the best then, the international players had to put up with sleeping in dormitaries! Also the TV coverage used to focus on the few expats in the crowd to try and give the games more international feel. Steve Coppell took his Palace side there one year, my driver got a Palace key ring which I am sure he still has after a reception at the British embassy.

City nearly toured China around 2003 (would have been in Guangdong) but the tour was cancelled due to the Sars outbreak.

Simon

What like we should be protesting over our governments hipocracy, human rights abuse in foreign country's, illegal wars and many other dodgy practices all done supposedly in the name of freedom.

Let's face it most people don't give a shit if they are doing alright and if they are not (as is starting to happen in china like everywhere else) then there's nothing like a bit of government endorsed jingoisum to focus the individuals problems elsewhere.

So it's not possible to disapprove of one's own government and criticise another country's as well? If you think modern Britain is even in the same ballpark as China for human rights abuses and oppression then... Jesus.

Showed footage on 'News at 10' of plain clothes police encouraging people to riot and protest.

Like I said before...Brainwashed fools!

Why would you give a damn about an uninhabited island when your own government tortures people for practising christianity and falun gong, performs forced abortions, bans trade unions and all labor rights, censors all forms of media including internet and independent newspapers, bans political parties, bans people from even having certain political opinions on pain of being sent to forced labor camps for 're-education'. Not to mention 940 million people chronically malnourished, 600 million with no access to education, and 11 million children die before the age of five every year.

But no...,lets protest over an uninhabited island.

Archived