IGNORED

Blackburn - Two Worrying Thoughts

Chivs

I must have been at a different game to you.

My ratings, and don't forget we were playing an ex Premier league team of long standing

Heaton: 8. Alert. Distribution good. Commanding.

Foster: 8. Quick. Some good inter play with Adomah.

Cunningham: 8. Intelligent, quick, could prove to be our best value buy this season.

Carey:7. Gave 100% but caught out late on.

Fontaine: 7.Unfortunate slip for their first goal.

Adomah:9. Back to his tantalizing best. His quick feet for the 2nd goal in beating 2 before crossing war sensational. Gave his all.

Skuse:9. Player of the season. worked tirelessly, always probing.

Pearson:8. Took his goal well. Adapting his game to playing inside. A midfield player who scores goals, un heard of at City. Coped well against high class International opposition.

Wolford:7. Has set high standards this season, but not his best game on Saturday.

Stead:7.Worked hard for little reward.

Taylor:8.Held up the ball well and is showing more maturity with games.

Subs:

Baldock:8. Very quick, Great running off the ball. Took his goal brilliantly.

Davis: 7.Unlucky not to get more game time. Created a chance out of nothing suggesting that there is a lot more to come .

Anderson:5. He struggled.

Ha ha I take it you never saw Skuse at Forest or Barnsley then?

Working tirelessly should be minimum requirement from any player especially when one is a local lad.

Always probing? couldnt be further from the truth. Skuse is no footballng schemer that's for sure.

You win and lose game on the stength of your CM and ours isnt good enough - not if we want to be anywhere near the top 6 it aint.

Yesterday was like an away game and both Skuse & Pearson offered no protection whatsoever to our current frail CB pairing.

Pearson i can forgive as he is the one tasked to getting in the oppositon box. He's another like Skuse who disappears in spells during games but at least offers goals and assits. He offers drive and got a role in the team.

Skuse doesnt contribute to our attacking play (in goals or assits) neither does he shield our defence like a defensive midfielder should do. The way he let Rochina run all that way without brining him down for Bburns 3rd goal was embarrassing. No football nous at all.

I laughed out loudly when it was annouced Skuse got MOTM. Simply working hard and playing safe doesnt do it for me.

What am I confused about? He isn't fast not meaning he has no pace. Yep, I'm confused. I must admit your statistics just don't chime with my perception. Has he really got a 1 in 3 strike rate?

Stead is no good in the air. He constantly gets out jumped and then raises his arms in a hissy fit whilst the ref waves play on. Stead also gets pushed off the ball far too easily. Taylor is better in both respects. Having said that, I agree that Stead is a better player than Taylor at the moment

I'd start with Davies and Baldock on Tuesday with Stead and Pitman as subs.

I guess my real point is this. Would you be happy to see Stead bought on as a sub if we are 0-1 down on Tuesday? It wouldn't float my boat.

I'd prefer Pitman or Baldock to be coming on.

I agree Stead isn't really an impact player, but can't agree on getting beaten in the air a lot or pushed off the ball, it's just not what I've seen. He wins a lot of possession and holds the ball up extremely well under pressure. Most importantly he is very aware of the players around him and has the ability to give them useful balls. I don't think our breaks would be anything like as effective without him and I think it'd be interesting to see how many of our goals so far this season he's had a hand in.

On pace, he's not the quickest over the first five yards which is important but over 30-40 yards he's rarely beaten by a defender.

I agree Stead isn't really an impact player, but can't agree on getting beaten in the air a lot or pushed off the ball, it's just not what I've seen. He wins a lot of possession and holds the ball up extremely well under pressure. Most importantly he is very aware of the players around him and has the ability to give them useful balls. I don't think our breaks would be anything like as effective without him and I think it'd be interesting to see how many of our goals so far this season he's had a hand in.

On pace, he's not the quickest over the first five yards which is important but over 30-40 yards he's rarely beaten by a defender.

I realise I'm being negative about Stead when I actually think he's a good player! I agree that he is the best forward for bringing other players into the game. However, I take issue with your earlier comment that he is just the kind of player to feed Baldock. Stead tends to have his back to goal and his passes are generally across field to Woolford/Adomah. I don't think he has the type of play to play a ten-yard slide rule into Baldock's feet.

We have one player who can do that. Pitman! What do you think to a Baldock/Pitman combination? For sure we lose all aerial challenge but, let's be honest, when was the last time we scored from a header? I'd really like to see Pitman/Baldock as long as we could persuade Fontaine to treat the pitch like a billiard table rather than a ploughed field.

I find it hard to believe people think Taylor's anywhere near the player Stead is in any aspect of the game. Maybe he will be one day but for me Stead is head and shoulders above him at just about everything right now. Yes, Stead didn't have a good second half yesterday, but I thought in the first half he linked play exceptionally well, played Albert in numerous times and kept the ball under pressure a whole lot. We should be starting Stead and Baldock, because Stead's the ideal provider for someone who makes the kind of runs Baldock does.

To my mind,Taylor is physically stronger than Stead although JS has considerably more skill on and off the ball.

Against a muscular Blackburn side, Taylor proved more useful than Stead.

I realise I'm being negative about Stead when I actually think he's a good player! I agree that he is the best forward for bringing other players into the game. However, I take issue with your earlier comment that he is just the kind of player to feed Baldock. Stead tends to have his back to goal and his passes are generally across field to Woolford/Adomah. I don't think he has the type of play to play a ten-yard slide rule into Baldock's feet.

He does pass wide a lot but in fairness we don't have anybody breaking through the back line. He is at least aware of where everyone is and his control's good enough to turn, so I think he could do a good job at that. We saw Stead+Maynard start together surprisingly few times so I guess until it's tried...

We have one player who can do that. Pitman! What do you think to a Baldock/Pitman combination? For sure we lose all aerial challenge but, let's be honest, when was the last time we scored from a header? I'd really like to see Pitman/Baldock as long as we could persuade Fontaine to treat the pitch like a billiard table rather than a ploughed field.

I'm a Pitman fan and I do think he's very crafty around the box facing goal, good touch and awareness. He's even pretty good in the air (in terms of accuracy if not strength).

For whatever reason McInnes doesn't seem to favour him though, so I don't think he's going to get a go and it seems likely he will leave.

Ha ha I take it you never saw Skuse at Forest or Barnsley then?

Working tirelessly should be minimum requirement from any player especially when one is a local lad.

Always probing? couldnt be further from the truth. Skuse is no footballng schemer that's for sure.

You win and lose game on the stength of your CM and ours isnt good enough - not if we want to be anywhere near the top 6 it aint.

Yesterday was like an away game and both Skuse & Pearson offered no protection whatsoever to our current frail CB pairing.

Pearson i can forgive as he is the one tasked to getting in the oppositon box. He's another like Skuse who disappears in spells during games but at least offers goals and assits. He offers drive and got a role in the team.

Skuse doesnt contribute to our attacking play (in goals or assits) neither does he shield our defence like a defensive midfielder should do. The way he let Rochina run all that way without brining him down for Bburns 3rd goal was embarrassing. No football nous at all.

I laughed out loudly when it was annouced Skuse got MOTM. Simply working hard and playing safe doesnt do it for me.

Look, From my point of view, I see a very different team from last season. Much improvement and going in the right direction under DMC and he deserves a lot of credit.

As a football fan, I have an opinion & I thoroughly enjoyed that match especially after some of the tirgid displays of recent seasons and yes I think Skuse has been a revelation this season as has Wolford & I was not a big fan of either previously.

And, not surprisingly, Like a lot of fans, I haven't seen all of our matches but that doesn't preclude me from having my opinion.

Without constraints I am sure DMC would have brought in two experienced midfield internationals like Kean did, but living in the real world that's not possible.

Let's be positive, let's all be positive

I would go with Taylor Baldock up front with Davies in midfield in place of Pearson, not because I'm anti Pearson but I think Davies is a better option and stronger in the challenge to Pearson.

Against Barnsley he missed a few but did get into the positions in first place, plus it might of been lucky but looks like he can take a free kick.

If Davies can play in midfield that would be a great solution. He looks like he has a point to prove but of course needs to be on the pitch to prove it. Davies looks the sort of player who makes things happen and he'd almost certainly contribute more goals than Pearson who strikes me as an intelligent and tidy player but not one who will ever dominate a midfield battle or produce a MOM attacking midfielder display.

Haven't seen much of him, but Davies seems to me like a better version of Pitman from his cameos against palace and Blackburn (didn't go to Barnsley). Would like to see him get a chance starting with Baldock upfront, but Del likes to have at least one big guy up there so not sure whether that will happen.

Haven't seen much of him, but Davies seems to me like a better version of Pitman from his cameos against palace and Blackburn (didn't go to Barnsley). Would like to see him get a chance starting with Baldock upfront, but Del likes to have at least one big guy up there so not sure whether that will happen.

Davies is 6ft 1, so he's not huge, but he's big enough to play the big man role.

Not sure I can see too many similarities between Davies and Pitman from what I've seen so far - Davies has a reputation as a battler who puts his head in where it hurts, Pitman is a less aggressive chance taker.

I'd love to see how many Pitman might score in this new chance creating City team, but it looks ever increasingly unlikely to happen.

My guess is Del will settle with his own 2 signings, Baldock and Davies sooner rather than later.

Could Baldock and Pitman thrive as a partnership in a parallel universe? No reason why not - Pitman has adapted to play well with all his strikers at BCFC, including a short period with Maynard, when Pitman played him through on goal a number of times.

Davies is 6ft 1, so he's not huge, but he's big enough to play the big man role.

Not sure I can see too many similarities between Davies and Pitman from what I've seen so far - Davies has a reputation as a battler who puts his head in where it hurts, Pitman is a less aggressive chance taker.

I'd love to see how many Pitman might score in this new chance creating City team, but it looks ever increasingly unlikely to happen.

My guess is Del will settle with his own 2 signings, Baldock and Davies sooner rather than later.

Could Baldock and Pitman thrive as a partnership in a parallel universe? No reason why not - Pitman has adapted to play well with all his strikers at BCFC, including a short period with Maynard, when Pitman played him through on goal a number of times.

You could use pitman as a creative midfielder just behind the front two as he has a good long shot and finnish.

You could use pitman as a creative midfielder just behind the front two as he has a good long shot and finnish.

He's got the passing ability but a midfielder has to be able to tackle, and that's not Pitman's strong point.

I'd be starting with at least one of Baldock, Davies and Pitman up front - Stead and Taylor are too similar imo. and neither is going to score many.

One of Pitman's strengths was his link up play around the edge of the box, and from the little i've seen of davies, he's had some very nice touches and little lay-offs to baldock, so similar in that regard. And agree Davies' work rate is superior, making him far more valuable to the team overall. Still early days yet and i don't want to judge him before he's had a run in the side but hopefully things will work out better for him here than for Pitman.

One of Pitman's strengths was his link up play around the edge of the box, and from the little i've seen of davies, he's had some very nice touches and little lay-offs to baldock, so similar in that regard. And agree Davies' work rate is superior, making him far more valuable to the team overall. Still early days yet and i don't want to judge him before he's had a run in the side but hopefully things will work out better for him here than for Pitman.

I've heard of Davies' aggression and determination but I don't know about his workrate - let's judge him when we can over a few full games. It's easy to run about all over the place as a sub.

As for relative value for the team, scoring goals is integral to a strikers' importance.

My first impression of Davies is he'll do well at AG - he looks a good player and moreover he'll be given the chance to do well.

The manager isn't going to spend heavily on a striker and then leave him out of the match day squad so imo. Davies and Baldock will be starting regularly as soon as they are both thought to be 100% match fit.

As I've said previously, with Davies now signed up, and Taylor obviously impressing Del, it would come as no surprise if Stead moves on.

Would give a 10 out of 10 for guts, determination and spirit... Completely different to the last season where heads constantly went down under Millen week in, week out! If only Cisse didnt burn his bridges, he's capable of breaking up midfield play and is organised and solid defensively and would be great for us. If we play as well as we did going forward on Saturday then we'll be fine, just need that elusive commanding CB.

I've heard of Davies' aggression and determination but I don't know about his workrate - let's judge him when we can over a few full games. It's easy to run about all over the place as a sub.

As for relative value for the team, scoring goals is integral to a strikers' importance.

My first impression of Davies is he'll do well at AG - he looks a good player and moreover he'll be given the chance to do well.

The manager isn't going to spend heavily on a striker and then leave him out of the match day squad so imo. Davies and Baldock will be starting regularly as soon as they are both thought to be 100% match fit.

As I've said previously, with Davies now signed up, and Taylor obviously impressing Del, it would come as no surprise if Stead moves on.

Sadly i think you may be spot on there. Doesn't he only have a year left on his contract? If so he could be going as soon as January, a shame since he gives his all for the club and was instrumental in our survival last season.

But you never know in football, Taylor could break his leg tomorrow and be out for the season, and then we'd need Stead to keep the balance in our forward line. I see what you mean about Davies' aggression and he does have ability in the air, but several Derby fans warned against using him as a target man, as he'd been utilized as one up there to little effect.

Overall, with our current set of strikers, it's more likely pitman will move on in January imo, but Stead may well find himself on the fringes as the season progresses.

Sadly i think you may be spot on there. Doesn't he only have a year left on his contract? If so he could be going as soon as January, a shame since he gives his all for the club and was instrumental in our survival last season.

But you never know in football, Taylor could break his leg tomorrow and be out for the season, and then we'd need Stead to keep the balance in our forward line. I see what you mean about Davies' aggression and he does have ability in the air, but several Derby fans warned against using him as a target man, as he'd been utilized as one up there to little effect.

Overall, with our current set of strikers, it's more likely pitman will move on in January imo, but Stead may well find himself on the fringes as the season progresses.

Both Stead and Pitman are in the last year of their contracts so it'll be interesting to see when, or if, new contract offers are forthcoming.

After the Maynard saga, you wouldn't expect City to hang about, you'd expect them to be decisive either way, but they seem to be in no hurry.

Agree Pitman seems certain to go, Stead less likely, although I've got a gut feeling he might well do. He's never stayed at any club for too long, and certainly not the 6 years he'll be at City if he gets the 3 year deal many on here advocate.

Would City really offer a 3 year contract to a 30 year old with Taylor and Davies seemingly settled for long stays?

If offered less, would Stead accept it anyway?

As for Taylor possibly breaking a leg tomorrow, unfortunately the same could be said of Baldock - perish the thought, but if so the scenario regarding Pitman could literally change overnight.

Both Stead and Pitman are in the last year of their contracts so it'll be interesting to see when, or if, new contract offers are forthcoming.

After the Maynard saga, you wouldn't expect City to hang about, you'd expect them to be decisive either way, but they seem to be in no hurry.

Agree Pitman seems certain to go, Stead less likely, although I've got a gut feeling he might well do. He's never stayed at any club for too long, and certainly not the 6 years he'll be at City if he gets the 3 year deal many on here advocate.

Would City really offer a 3 year contract to a 30 year old with Taylor and Davies seemingly settled for long stays?

If offered less, would Stead accept it anyway?

As for Taylor possibly breaking a leg tomorrow, unfortunately the same could be said of Baldock - perish the thought, but if so the scenario regarding Pitman could literally change overnight.

I'd imagine with the transfer window closed talks will be going on behind the scenes, the club surely having learned from the Maynard debacle. Most likely the first we'll hear about it will be on the city website.

Would like to see him offered a 1 or possibly 2 year extension at most, as Taylor has the potential to be a much better player than Stead and by then Stead will be past his prime.

But you make a valid point - will he accept it? With rumours of Huddersfield's interest over the summer, will he choose to return to his boyhood club if he sees he's not a major part of Del's long term plans here? Time will tell.

And yes, perish the thought of any injuries!

The bottom line is we will always need at least 4 strikers. Stead is good enough to be one of those four, is a known quantity, apparently rated by McInnes and costs us nothing to re-sign. It would be a big surprise should he not get offered at least a 2 year deal.

The bottom line is we will always need at least 4 strikers. Stead is good enough to be one of those four, is a known quantity, apparently rated by McInnes and costs us nothing to re-sign. It would be a big surprise should he not get offered at least a 2 year deal.

Yes can only see one of Pitman or Stead being allowed to leave, and no prizes for guessing who. I hope Stead is offered a new contract but one year from now i can't see him being a regular starter and there's no guarentee he'll sign.

Archived