IGNORED

Spiders

Barrs Court Red

As we're onto "that" time of the year, anyone have any decent sized specimens come to visit yet?

My daughter was playing with one on saturday. The mrs heard her saying "hello mr spider" and didn't think much of it, untill the daughter decided to show mummy her new friend :) the wife wasn't over the moon, managed to get it out side and tried her best to explain "thats where they live".

I'm giving her a gold star for not having a breakdown.

I noticed a false widow in the same room, but by the time I got a jug he'd escaped into his lair. Really wanna get rid before it bites someone.

Then last night on noticed a 50p sized mark in the conservatory, shined a torch and it looked like a piece of mud. Not wanting to get too close in the dark I thought I'd leave whatever it was till daylight.....it's gone. That's gonna be a big boy.

Bloody hell!!

I had never heard of the noble false widow spider before!! Seems a very nasty little bugger -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130975/Woman-loses-hand-bitten-false-widow-spider.html

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2007/may/news_11767.html

We get plenty of BIG Wolf spiders in our house, which the missus ALWAYS names George, and I can safely say the only time I am ever nice to my wifes cat is when one of those horrible beasties is scurrying across the floor - EB's action - grab the cat and thrust it in the general direction of the spider in the vain hope that the cat eats it.

I seem to remember reading once that the average house contains 3-5,000 spiders - or is that just urban myth?

Certainly had a few big uns in the lounge in recent weeks, pathetically I'm terrified of the things so the good lady wife has to deal with them.

Being the mating season for them, they are generally on the prowl for a partner. If you see 1, you will almost be certain to see more.

Absolutely terrified of them and touch wood, pray, hell mary and stuff...not one big one yet in our house. The biggest I have ever seen is in our old house in Bedminster. We have a sponge on the side of the bath and it was bigger than that. It was so big my wife had to call in her father to get rid as he is ex army and used to big spiders, it even freaked him a bit too. In the end we...I mean he had to kill it.

MM

I was bitten by a large hairy house spider a few years ago on the end of one of my fingers, drew blood from two pin ***** wounds! I picked it up in a glass and promptly crushed it on the patio!

I was not aware of the false widow until a few weeks ago when I read an article on them.

I lived in Australia for over 20 years alongside such beasts as the Funnel Web, Redback, White tailed, Trapdoor, Wolf & Huntsman spiders. Never ever got bitten. I now live in France and some little sod bit me this year and stuck me on my arse for almost 10 days. FFS

Then last night on noticed a 50p sized mark in the conservatory, shined a torch and it looked like a piece of mud. Not wanting to get too close in the dark I thought I'd leave whatever it was till daylight.....it's gone. That's gonna be a big boy.

I know times are hard mate but it's during extraordinary times like this that you need to get extravagant and let people turns the light on.

Unless you have a Fritzelesque 'conservatory'?

Seen a lot of those false widows about this year and they have a very nasty bite.

One crawled out of the seam of a sunlounger I was sitting on during one of the brief spells of good weather this Summer! :shocking:

Got bit by one last year.

It was in my bed and bit my foot. When i uncovered the sheets - it hissed at me. It had an egg sack on it's back. They say spiders don't make a sound but it definitely hissed at me. Probably protecting it's young.

What's that other nasty one that you can find in garages, typically on the northern side of Bristol? Sure my friend mentioned it a while ago and I was surprised to see they were in the UK let alone Bristol?

In garages? Never seen owt but house spiders and whispy things in mine. There seems to be a strict hierarchy, mean bastards by the main garage door, small ones to the back and man eaters up in the eaves.

The tube spiders you see outside garages around north Bristol, especially noticeable with white walls, are from the med/ eastern Europe. I've never seen any in Bristol, and didn't notice any I Kingswood or Willsbridge, but around Cadbury Heath Oldland and Barrs Court they're in every gap imaginable.

False widows are fro the canaries.

There was a Tarantula skin found in Longwell Green a few years back, but I suspect that was a prank.

This thread has reinforced my now , non irrational petrifaction of all things eight legged.

Thanks a bloody lot!!!

You lot have now turned me into a spider spotter - if anything looks a bit strange, I scurry to google to see if it is dangerous or not.

So far, I have discovered, much to my delight, that no spider is immune from the perils of my size 11's

Archived