IGNORED

Anyone Do Ps3 Repairs ?

westonred

The repairs are a bit hit and miss. Not sure how much they are charging these days but about 3 years back my original model popped and i was quoted £120 to get it repaired. I just thought sod that, as there is no guarentee it will last very long so just bought a new one for £200.

I know there are a few local high street computer shops that do repairs in Bristol, id imagine there would be similar in WSM, probably worth phoning around a bit to see if they do. My advise would be go for a new one if you have the cash.

The main cause of this failure is down to the lead free solder failing on the main processors. Some people say fix it by putting the main board in the oven, some use heat guns but it needs to go on a special jig for a decent repair. Some places will remove the chips and reball them with leaded solder (best option but expensive).

Mate, I had the same thing a couple of years back on my 60gb fat model(PS2 compatible model).

Like others have said, it is down to over-heating and cracking of the solder between or in the chips.

There are plenty of you-tube guides out there and a repair kit from ebay including hot air gun shouldn't set you back more than £30.

It took me about 4 hours to do mine the first time I did it, it was fine for about 3 months; 2nd time a week at which point FIFA12 was stuck inside the machine; 3rd time - just to retrieve FIFA12, the repair lasted for about 2 minutes before the YLOD appeared again.

It sucks, but if you can afford it, get a new one, as like others have said, there are no guarantees that it won't happen again.

Unlikely to see a PS4 outside of Japan in 2013, I'd expect they will be getting it spring next year and at a push Xmas for US/EU.

One clue, perhaps indicating a PS4 release next year is the 25% reduction on a PS Plus year sub. Could be that it will be with the rest of the world late 2013 but without even a Japanese announcment for this year I wouldn't get my hopes up.

It won't be out this Xmas.

Archived