IGNORED

Being Liverpool

Eco

Eh? The European cup was a straight knock out for about 40 years, and that was never shit .

I'll expand on what I meant; in the Champions League, even in the first weeks in September we're getting Man City - Real Madrid, Bayern - Valencia and Chelsea - Juventus, and we'll get the same again in a few weeks. The knock-outs will be equally good, and IMO it allows for a much better all round tournament, having 2 qualifiers from each group so allowing for 2 decent teams in the same group.

The 3rd placed CL team went into the Waffa cup before it became the EL. The group stage at least gives you some decent games early on.

I'm not really sure why, but I don't like Liverpool.

As someone else has alluded to, they seem to think they have a god given right to be successful today because of what has happened in the past, which is admittedly to be admired. They also think, as was briefly mentioned in the programme last night, that their is something special about Liverpool as a place and the club "Liverpool is a religion, and Anfield is our place of worship." this is no different to how a lot of football fans think, yet they seem to think it is unique to them.

They also seem to spend large amounts of money on decidedly average players.

I just don't get them for some reason.

Well as someone who has been to almost 60 games watching Liverpool over the years, mostly home games all I can say is the people are very passionate about their football and their football teams and fiercly passionate and proud of their City.

I have been watching City since the late 70's as a non Bristolian, I don't get that same feeling from the people of Bristol, they just don't have that same passion for their City in the same numbers. Unless you have mixed with the scousers in their pubs and at the games and talk to them about the club and Liverpool as a City, you wont really understand.

I remember going to one game and everywhere around Anfield there were buckets being shaken to support their dockers who were striking. This just wouldn't happen in Bristol, they stick together up there, Bristol is probably too nice a City and doesn't have that edge about it. We think we are passionate about City, I can tell you it is a religion in Liverpool.

Even better, it's in his hallway at home.

He's an oddball, that's for sure.

Seriously? That is scary if that's true!

As for the debate, I hate Liverpool, but no one can deny their achievements in the (proper) European Cup. They had a team with everything, and, as someone put it, the champions of Belgium back then weren't a bad team as it goes. Not many players went abroad, they were happy to stay at home. Also, and I may have this wrong, there were no seedings either. Didn't Forest knock Liverpool out in the 1st or 2nd round one year? Vaguely remember that happening, was a young 'un at the time. Note that one of them would've been champions of England, the others champions of Europe, and they didn't care about drawing you out against your compatriots that early. Was a tough competition to win, but English clubs dominated for a long time. Given the chance Everton would've added to our roll of honour had Heysel not happened

"We could control our players' performance but what we can't control is decisions by the referee," Rodgers said.

Latest pearl of wisdom from Rodgers. First time I've heard the 'control' psychobabble in a refereeing context, how dare the ref not play ball.

Seen enough today, Suarez is not a diver, referees don't like us and neither do the posts and crossbars, it's not fair, "I could've been a contender", eeerrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm.

He does have a point about the posts and crossbars. Don't you know they would have won the Premier League, the FA Cup, the League Cup, the Champions League, Seria A and La Liga had all their shots that hit the woodwork gone in?

The just need that illusive rule change.

I thought Rogers would do a very good job at Liverpool and he still might but looking at half an episode of that last night I got the distinct feeling he is totally out of his depth at Liverpool. He strikes me as a manager who would do well at a small club like Swansea. Players, the ones who have a fully functioning brain, must already be sick to death of every sentence ending in OK.

Interestingly of course he was under the wings of Mourinho at Chelski. That said, we have other examples such as Millen under GJ and Kean under Sam. And that said, Roger the Dodger has a promotion to his name albeit with a park end club; Liverpool might just be his Waterloo and he is not much taller than Napoleon so signs look ominous especially if the American owners banish him to one of their 'island' outposts; He seemed to love Fenway Park.

It could be a long hard season for Liverpool fans if the owners stick with 'their' man.

I thought Rogers would do a very good job at Liverpool and he still might but looking at half an episode of that last night I got the distinct feeling he is totally out of his depth at Liverpool. He strikes me as a manager who would do well at a small club like Swansea. Players, the ones who have a fully functioning brain, must already be sick to death of every sentence ending in OK.

in fairness rogers only done ok at swansea as martinez had put everything in place to concour with the style in which swansea play i think rogers would be an ok manager a championish level but i think the Liverpool job is way to big for him and i expect him to struggle massively

in fairness rogers only done ok at swansea as martinez had put everything in place to concour with the style in which swansea play i think rogers would be an ok manager a championish level

Watford and Reading thought differently!!

Totally agree with your first point though, it was all set up at Swansea for him.

Archived