IGNORED

We Defended Well...

mozo

...for 45 minutes.

In the first half we kept it fairly tight and the much maligned Fontaine and Wilson both did their jobs well.

In the 2nd half, Leeds tore our defenders to pieces, had two free headers in the first 3 mins spurned and looked a constant threat on the break.

Intriguing and concerning game of two halves.

...for 45 minutes.

In the first half we kept it fairly tight and the much maligned Fontaine and Wilson both did their jobs well.

In the 2nd half, Leeds tore our defenders to pieces, had two free headers in the first 3 mins spurned and looked a constant threat on the break.

Intriguing and concerning game of two halves.

..........And a game of three left backs and two right backs...................

Leeds didnt really trouble us until George went off. Leeds then took over and at 1-1 I think Del would have settled for it and put Marv on but he couldn't due to the injury to Bryan and having replaced Stead with Baldock. With the players on the pitch at the time our only option was to go and try and win the game which backfired. Fonts was at fault for the 2nd but the other two strikes were really well taken. In the end 3-2 flattered us but things just didnt go our way and on another day we may well have taken something from that game. Roll on Tuesday when I'm sure we'll see a different result.

Sorry do not agree the that the last two goals were not defendable.

2nd goal should have been headed away by Wilson and when it bounced down fontaine made a hash of an attempt to get something on the ball as he was tracking back goalwards. He should have been tighter marking Diouf who was completely unmarked to score.

3rd goal was very similar to one conceeded against Blackburn. Carey should have forced Tong out wide but showed him to much inside where Kilkenny who was doubling up was poorly positioned and tong cut inside far to easily. last ditch attempt to block by Pearson, I think, meant 3 of our defenders had been out done. As already said a repeat of Blackburn game the final shot went from the left side of the penalty area went into the right hand top corner of the net. Whilst both good strikes could heaton's positioning been better?

I think Carey's poor pass behind Kilkenny and NK's poor effort at trying to control it certainly cued up their 3rd goal, but I think it was something a bit special that strike: 95 times out of 100 we'd have got away with that.

As for the 'much maligned' Liam Fontaine, Captain Catastrophe was the worst player on the pitch for the third home game running and he is entirely to blame for the second (and softest) goal. F--- knows what he was trying to do, but his touch, balance and positioning are dreadful. And when defending set pieces, we may as well have a cardboard cut-out in his place - he's utterly static.

Obviously the loss of both LBs (and no Skuse) didn't help, but I thought generally Wilson had a pretty good game, Foster was so-so defensively but still delivers the occasional million dollar ball in attack, Carey had the one lapse but generally seemed OK.

Fonts is the weakest link. When is Mark Wilson back?

Archived