IGNORED

Leeds Game - A Different Type Of Moan

RobArnold10

Sorry if this got brought up elsewhere, but I was really quite upset following the Leeds game, not because of the result, and the resultant pint I now owe the IT bloke at work, but due to what I believe was another massive balls up from the club in terms of communication. I sit in the Dolman, and always (unless instructed otherwise) leave behind the East End. However to my surprise, they had closed the walkway off, forcing a good number of people to either turn around, or bottleneck the back of the Dolman stand. Now don't get me wrong, I have no issue with going out the long way when notified, but am I right in saying that there was NO indication from the club this would be happening?

What got me the most is because of the mass of people, I couldn't help but think about if a fire had started, the place would have been a death trap. To be honest the Dolman has always been a fire hazard really, but that was insane. Now I know it's its buts and maybes, and it also screams out why we need a new stadium (then again I'm sure some NIMBY's wouldn't care about our wellbeing in all honesty, but that's another rant altogether).

I'm just a bit miffed about the communication really, I have best part of an hour's drive back, and whilst I always stay till the end I do like to get out fairly promptly so I can go home and half a pint! I'm a person who doesn't like to get messed around like that, so this just got really up my nose. I'm sure now I've said all this somebody's going to say where I missed the information, but judging by the numbers that did the same as me, I don't think there was any!

Dave, is there a reason we can't just do what many other clubs do and rather than inconveniencing home fans, keep the away fans in until the ground is otherwise empty?

This - simply this. What is the reason for inconveniencing the club's regular customers, rather than those we see once per year, from the teams which are deemed necessary to separate the fans?

This - simply this. What is the reason for inconveniencing the club's regular customers, rather than those we see once per year, from the teams which are deemed necessary to separate the fans?

I expect it is, that they need to give a certain amount of exits per away fans. So when we give away fans more, they need to use the back exit aswell.

Thus, leaving our own fans with a much longer walk than needed.

I expect it is, that they need to give a certain amount of exits per away fans. So when we give away fans more, they need to use the back exit aswell.

Thus, leaving our own fans with a much longer walk than needed.

It's not unusual at many grounds for away fans to simply be not allowed to leave for 10 minutes from any exit, that's what I'm suggesting as an alternative.

It's not unusual at many grounds for away fans to simply be not allowed to leave for 10 minutes from any exit, that's what I'm suggesting as an alternative.

My guess is, home fans will accept it and moan. Where leeds fans, in the police eyes i imagine, play up and try to cause trouble etc if forced to stay behind.

There doesnt seem to be any info around Bristol. Period.I left Burnham at 12.15 with the simple task of doing a delivery in Filton, then park in Long Ashton and quick hoof to the ground. All ok till Lulsgate, then obviously big incident as everyone turning round, inc me and back via redhill, Wrington. Saw lorry broke down by suspension bridge and queue back down Portway.Still no word on Radio Bristol ( our local Radio station !) Got to Filton at 2.00 clock ! Quick drop off and back via the downs? No way - traffic backed to bottom Falcondale Road, turned around got down to Sylvan Way and another queue. Rang mate and said giving up as wouldnt even make Long Ashton till after kick-off and starving !!! Still no loss of revenue to club as ST holder, but not a word about anything on good old Radio Bristol. Am leaving now to make sure in time for Millwall :ill: :ill: :ill:

Dave, is there a reason we can't just do what many other clubs do and rather than inconveniencing home fans, keep the away fans in until the ground is otherwise empty?

I have said this before, it is a nightmare walking down the back if the dolman when the walkway is shut. I had a cigarette burn in an expensive jacket last season in the crush.

Look after the home fans first.

I think the club cause problems, I'm in the east end and every time we have to walk round the ground we always meet the away fans. There is never no trouble so just keep the rear entrance closed, city fans would be out across the car park and probably see less of the away fans. The only place we would meet would be by the KFC which is always well policed.

I think the club cause problems, I'm in the east end and every time we have to walk round the ground we always meet the away fans. There is never no trouble so just keep the rear entrance closed, city fans would be out across the car park and probably see less of the away fans. The only place we would meet would be by the KFC which is always well policed.

The club cant keep the rear exit shut, due to the amount of away fans.

I heard (and this might be completely wrong) that holding football fans after a match could be a breach of human rights legislation. Albeit for their own safety, it could be classed as holding someone against their will (to leave).

It's a while since I was held in a ground after a game.

Sorry if this got brought up elsewhere, but I was really quite upset following the Leeds game, not because of the result, and the resultant pint I now owe the IT bloke at work, but due to what I believe was another massive balls up from the club in terms of communication. I sit in the Dolman, and always (unless instructed otherwise) leave behind the East End. However to my surprise, they had closed the walkway off, forcing a good number of people to either turn around, or bottleneck the back of the Dolman stand. Now don't get me wrong, I have no issue with going out the long way when notified, but am I right in saying that there was NO indication from the club this would be happening?

What got me the most is because of the mass of people, I couldn't help but think about if a fire had started, the place would have been a death trap. To be honest the Dolman has always been a fire hazard really, but that was insane. Now I know it's its buts and maybes, and it also screams out why we need a new stadium (then again I'm sure some NIMBY's wouldn't care about our wellbeing in all honesty, but that's another rant altogether).

I'm just a bit miffed about the communication really, I have best part of an hour's drive back, and whilst I always stay till the end I do like to get out fairly promptly so I can go home and half a pint! I'm a person who doesn't like to get messed around like that, so this just got really up my nose. I'm sure now I've said all this somebody's going to say where I missed the information, but judging by the numbers that did the same as me, I don't think there was any!

I totally agree with your points. We took the decision to leave by the Winterstoke Road exit but otherwise would have been caught in the same bottleneck as you.

I sat at the very back of block C in the Dolman Stand on Saturday. It's a great view but it crossed my mind that if a fire broke in the bar or in the front part of the stand, the only way out is down towards the fire or sideways along the rows into other blocks. Smoke rising to the roof level could make it very difficult to navigate. I don't think the stand design would be approved if it was being built today - there's too much congestion when a mass of people leave the ground at the end of the match.

I love Ashton Gate and have many treasured memories but I won't be disappointed to move to a new, safer stadium.

I heard (and this might be completely wrong) that holding football fans after a match could be a breach of human rights legislation. Albeit for their own safety, it could be classed as holding someone against their will (to leave).

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it were the case that police were interested in the rights of football fans :)

I was told by a steward that i should have bought a match day program or a news paper as the announcement was in them, i told him that as i dont buy either how the effin hell was i supposed to know about it and an announcement over the pa (as was done at the cardiff game) might have been the sensible thing to do.

• Admin

I was told by a steward that i should have bought a match day program or a news paper as the announcement was in them, i told him that as i dont buy either how the effin hell was i supposed to know about it and an announcement over the pa (as was done at the cardiff game) might have been the sensible thing to do.

Was it in the programme - can't recall seeing it in there

Was it in the programme - can't recall seeing it in there

I've just had a quick scan through and can't see it there either. But not everyone buys a programme or reads it throughly at the match.

I just thought it was a very late decision made on the day, but couldn't understand why as there were large numbers of Leeds fans but no trouble as such. In the past there have been announcements at the previous home game, announcements on the day and even notices on the turnstiles as you enter the Dolman. I know David Lloyd has apologised but an Epic Fail by City all the same.

I was a bit hacked off as we had arranged to meet someone a short distance away from the ground and had started to walk out as usual, out of the Dolman and then along the back of the Eastend. We got outside and there was a huge blockage of people, many turning back and walking 'against the flow' back into the ground again, which didn't help. Most were annoyed about the lack of announcements and the confusion it caused.

Like others have said the Dolman is bad enough to get out of at the best of times and anyone who sits there is resigned to that.No one should mind having to wait or walk round for safety reasons occasionally.

I guess the safety officer didn't notice there had been no announcement, or the stewards or even the police??? Unbelieveable. God help us if anything serious ever happened.

I guess we don't have the restrictions for Millwall tonight?

Dear God. An epic fail?

I thought I heard some kind of announcement, not that I took much notice as I don't exit that way.

But it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out that if the away section has been moved across the rear exit then the walkway at the back of the Covered End will be shut, particularly if the away team is Leeds.

Some people on here just like to moan.

• Admin

Dear God. An epic fail?

I thought I heard some kind of announcement, not that I took much notice as I don't exit that way.

But it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out that if the away section has been moved across the rear exit then the walkway at the back of the Covered End will be shut, particularly if the away team is Leeds.

More of an inconvenience issue really, friends of mine nearly missed their train as they had not allowed additional time to walk the full distance around the ground.

Assume that some with physical problems would normally wait for this exit to be opened ?

Been coming to AG8 for over 20 years now, never realised if the fans were near the exit that it automatically meant that the walkway was closed to home fans !

Oh well learn something new everyday I guess

Read the stuff on the back of your ticket.....you know...the small print

Think you will find that buying and using that ticket means "the user agrees to suspend all rights human or otherwise"

Dear God. An epic fail?

I take some exception to that. I certainly do not like to have a moan, but I certainly felt wronged on saturday (for lack of a better word). I don't particularlly enjoy getting caught in a bottleneck which with the volume of people felt quite unsafe to an extent. Just because there were a number of fans doesn't always mean the walkway is closed, and perhaps Mr Holmes would have also deduced that due to a lack of information it couldn't be either confirmed or denied 100% that the walkway would be closed. So politely I ask you pop down off that horse you're on, because there's no need for that.

Fairly play to DL for the apology though, it is appreciated and I just hope things like that do get avoided in the future.

Read the stuff on the back of your ticket.....you know...the small print

Think you will find that buying and using that ticket means "the user agrees to suspend all rights human or otherwise"

I don't know if it does say that (doubt it) but it doesn't matter. Certain rights are inalienable, they can't be taken away by contract, terms and conditions, even by the highest law authority in the land. Not that this stops the old bill treating football fans like they have none on occasion.

Dear God. An epic fail?

Dear Sherlock, no I don't like to moan but if I want to call the lack of information and 'Epic Fail' I will thank you, as I see it as that. A failure in communication that no one in authority seemed to have noticed on the day.

OK, we were lucky there was no crush, fire or other incident. If there were do we really want to be waiting 23 years for the truth to come out. If the fact that there were no announcements is highlighted and in future checks are in place to avoid similar confusion due to this thread then job done.

And if this is too moany for you, tough.

Dear Sherlock, no I don't like to moan but if I want to call the lack of information and 'Epic Fail' I will thank you, as I see it as that. A failure in communication that no one in authority seemed to have noticed on the day.

OK, we were lucky there was no crush, fire or other incident. If there were do we really want to be waiting 23 years for the truth to come out. If the fact that there were no announcements is highlighted and in future checks are in place to avoid similar confusion due to this thread then job done.

And if this is too moany for you, tough.

I shall follow the advice in your signature

Archived