IGNORED

Tech Helped Want Please

cheshire_red

Having a problem with my normal internet connection which I pay monthly for. I have repeatedly had scrambled noises all evening (normal in peak times and you cannot get a connection - bloody annoying when you have paid for the access). So I have been using another connection which I have to pay as per telephone call.

I have come to the stage this evening where I cannot get a connection at all on the normal service because it keeps coming up with "unable to establish a connection".

The other service works fine though and connects immediately. I have repeated restarted the computer and tried again but the same "unable to establish a connection appears".

Any ideas please.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Right to start with I am about as non tech as you can get but before I switched to Broadband I had a similar problem. I'd better not name companies but I once signed up to a really cheap deal for 24/7 internet access paid monthly. All was fine for a couple of months then they began limiting the hours you could use a month. That didn't really affect me so then they offered a new package, get broadband, for a lot more money. At the time myself, and probably loads of others, weren't interested . We were happy with a cheap reliable package...so they were left not making too much money from me and had loads of unused money making broadband going spare. So they make the dial up 24/7 unreliable. It was really awful, you spent ages dialing up, time after time getting the unable to establish a connection messages. The rare times you did connect you would get cut off after about 15 mins (if you were lucky enough to get a connection for that long). I later read on internet forums that this company was actually doing this, I'm not sure if they are still trading now.

This might be nothing to do with your problem but it might be worth looking into. If your access is very cheap, too good to be true then it might be. Are they pushing bigger, better, dearer, broadband packages on you? You might just be squeezed out.

Yes broadband is fantastic, but I know it is not available to all, so it depends on where you live. I have got broadband but not from the company i was refering to above!

I hope your problem can be sorted by something simple, give the modem a thump1 :sport5:

Good Luck!

:sport18:

Hiya.

To be honest it depends on who your Service Provider is. If you're dialing at off peak most times that is the highest demand, and so it will be hard to get on. Freeserve, for example, is well known for not being able to cope with the demand for off peak users.

My advice is go for broadband. even if you pay £15 a month you can still pick up 150k broadband, which is still faster than 56k modem dial up.

Archived