IGNORED

Nyatanga?

CIDER NOT CIDRE

No, he came from Derby and is welsh.

He was dreadful last night. I actually felt embarrassed for him. He constantly treats the ball like a hot potato. Any opportunity he had last night, head down, wouldn't even look up, he would pass back to the keeper.

Rather than actually take some responsibility and want the ball, look up and pass it out to the full back.

He won't even travel a yard with the ball at his feet. He will pass it off at any opportunity, rather than draw the strikers in before passing. That on top of his uneasy display says it all for me.

Fonts was better than him easily last night, which at present is alarming to say the least.

He was dreadful last night. I actually felt embarrassed for him. He constantly treats the ball like a hot potato. Any opportunity he had last night, head down, wouldn't even look up, he would pass back to the keeper.

Rather than actually take some responsibility and want the ball, look up and pass it out to the full back.

He won't even travel a yard with the ball at his feet. He will pass it off at any opportunity, rather than draw the strikers in before passing. That on top of his uneasy display says it all for me.

Fonts was better than him easily last night, which at present is alarming to say the least.

So did you miss the two air kicks that Fontaine did?. Could easily have cost us 2 goals.

Yeah that's how I saw it ... Tangs was the worst of the 2 ... Both poor though and last night just highlighted again our need for a new defensive pair ...

So did you miss the two air kicks that Fontaine did?. Could easily have cost us 2 goals.

No quite right, Henderson and Wood bullied both of them. Just overall Fonts was better than Nyayanga last night.

Getting very bored of this whole, 'oh Fonts needs a ball winner' next to him rubbish.

A defender is there to defend, not need someone to hold their hand the whole time.

Incredibly worrying that Fontaine is our captain.

Danny Shittu is exactly the type of defender we need right now. No nonsense defender who fonts would play well with - free agent in the summer wasn't he?

Was funny when the 'mighty' Sam Baldock sent him crashing to the ground.

Getting very bored of this whole, 'oh Fonts needs a ball winner' next to him rubbish.

A defender is there to defend, not need someone to hold their hand the whole time.

It's not an issue of needing somebody to 'hold his hand'. Some centre halves fall into the category of the natural dominating first ball centre half we need, and others don't. For example Carey has always been at his very best when partnered with that type of defender (Taylor, McCombe and even Amougou in the few games they played together) and you could never accuse Louis of needing anybody to hold his hand!

The issue is being highlighted at the moment because Fontaine is making so many errors, but even if he was playing at his best we would still need a big brute in our defence to partner him as none of the players we have can do that job. As I said in a different thread last night even if Nyatanga and Fontaine were playing at their very best they would always struggle with the physical threat of Henderson and Wood.

Last seasons 1-2 win at Leicester (a Millen Buster Douglas as i like to call it) saw Wilson and nyatanga in central defense.

id be happy with those 2, or carey/Wilson as a pairing.

The other nine games they played together at the start of last season produced no wins, so lets no pretend they are some kind of magical partnership.

They were excellent that day though, as they were at Derby at the end of the previous season.

Danny Shittu is exactly the type of defender we need right now. No nonsense defender who fonts would play well with - free agent in the summer wasn't he?

Shittu was one of many decent freebies available last summer.

I can't believe McInnes was too incompetent to realise we needed cover there.

It's not an issue of needing somebody to 'hold his hand'. Some centre halves fall into the category of the natural dominating first ball centre half we need, and others don't. For example Carey has always been at his very best when partnered with that type of defender (Taylor, McCombe and even Amougou in the few games they played together) and you could never accuse Louis of needing anybody to hold his hand!

The issue is being highlighted at the moment because Fontaine is making so many errors, but even if he was playing at his best we would still need a big brute in our defence to partner him as none of the players we have can do that job. As I said in a different thread last night even if Nyatanga and Fontaine were playing at their very best they would always struggle with the physical threat of Henderson and Wood.

No doubt with what you have said.

I didn't make the 'holding hand' part very clear sorry. That's not so much to do with him being dominating, as like you say every defender is different, but if he is not a big strong ball winner he can still lead by example, given that he is the captain. Confidence or not, he should still be setting an example.

Oh ok he isnt one of our youth players!! A lot of u are saying that Wilson is the best CB and I agree in tackling and heading terms but with the ball at his feet hes not great because he cant play a pass on the deck it's always lobbed up to our strikers via route 1! Still best defensive defender weve got IMO

Archived