IGNORED

Observations On Our Midfield

Harry

Ok, so we have all pretty much acknowledged that we need a new centre back, as we are looking increasingly dodgy at the back. Hopefully prior to our next game at Bolton we will have this elusive loan signing, which will hopefully help us in this area.

However, I really think it's time we analysed our central midfield as I actually think this is the weakest department of the team.

I know that a number of posters on here really rate Cole Skuse, so I'm afraid the rest of this post isn't going to make pretty reading for you. I don't want to sit here and slag off any of our players, but I have to say that the central midfield area has been the cancer of our club over the last few years, and if we want to have any chance of improving we need to see radical changes in this area, so I'm afraid this is necessary!!

For me, Cole Skuse is a decent player, but he is not good enough at the level we want to be. He is a very 'safe' footballer. He has all the relevant attributes but doesn't use them. He has height, but rarely wins headers. He has pace but when in trouble rarely tracks back at full pace and tends to mildly jog around. He has passing ability, but never plays a 'dangerous' ball. This is why we rarely see any goal or assists from Skuse because he will invariably choose the easy option when in possession. He isn't a defensive midfielder and he isn't an attack minded midfielder. He isn't an all-action hustler, nor is he a visionary defence-splitting merchant. I am not quite sure what it is that he provides to the team. Now I know I'm gonna get totally shot down, but there, I've said it.

A lot of our goals conceded this season have been due to the fact that our defence have been drastically exposed. Yes, Fonts is having a bit of a mare of a season so far, but he shouldn't bear the blame for all of our ills. The central midfield have offered zero support to the defence all season.

I remember being sat behind the goal away at Forest on the opening day. In the opening 45 minutes, Skuse let his man (Majewski) run past him, unopposed to the heart of our defence on no less than 3 occasions. How can the centrebacks concentrate on their jobs when the midfield are not tracking the opposition's most dangerous player and letting him have a free run on our defence? On all 3 of these occasions, Carey gave Skuse a verbal rollocking - so it was clearly his man and his duty to track Majewski.

I'm afraid this trend has continued. I've been taking a look at our goals conceded this season, and guess what, there's something of a trend :

Forest goal - Once Forest break forward, the 2 guys involved in the goal (Cox & Guediora) are both further from our goal than Skuse. The Forest players break away at pace, Cox ends up crossing the ball back from the by-line to an unmarked Guediora. This is the midfielder who was further from our goal than Skuse. By the time the cross came in, Skuse has lolloped his way back and was 10 yards behind. He has pace, why didn't he sprint back instead of jogging?

Palace goal - Skuse beaten not once but 3 times on the edge of the box by Zaha, resulting in the cross for their goal.

Cardiff 2nd goal - One ball forward exposes our defence, leaving 6 Cardiff players beyond all of our midfield. 6 on 4, they score. Yet again, no midfield tracking back to screen the back four.

Barnsley - Fonts is drawn out of the back to make a challenge. Skuse is the closest CM to the back four and should immediately cover his CB who has had to come 20 yards out of position. Instead he just jogs around, picking up no-one, the ball goes into the box where we are a man-short. Skuse ends up further from his own goal than the rest of the midfield?

Blackburn 2nd goal - Skuse & Pearson are passed around on the edge of the box as if they don't exist.

Blackburn 3rd goal - Rochina easily out-paces & out-muscles Skuse to get to the heart of our defence before scoring. Far too weak.

Blackburn 5th goal - Skuse, Pearson & Foster all on the halfway line when the ball goes forward to Rhodes. Carey tries holding Rhodes up, backing him off to the edge of the box. By the time Rhodes shoots, Foster has sprinted back and has made it to the box, Pearson has jogged back a little, while Skuse has made up about 10 yards and is in no urgency whatsoever to make it back to help his exposed centre back. When played forward, there was a 3 v 2 situation in City's favour. When Rhodes struck it was a 4 v 4 situation. Only Foster had made it back, whilst our midfield let 2 of theirs go beyond them.

Leeds 2nd goal - Again, a 4 v 4 situation leaving our defence exposed - no midfield support.

Leeds 3rd goal - Tonge easily cuts inside Kilkenny to score. Too easy.

Millwall goal - Pearson does a poor job in allowing his man inside to play a lovely cross in for Henderson.

Sorry to have to say it, but there is your evidence. Our Central Midfield is weak, weak, weak and basically just flit about doing nothing. They don't get up to support the strikers, they don't create opportunities, they don't hustle the opposition, they don't make/win tackles and most importantly they don't help out the defence, leaving the CB's horribly exposed.

The one thing Pearson offers is a bit of a goal threat, but I'm sorry I really can't see what Skuse is providing to this team. He runs around a lot and his stats for distance covered and passes completed are probably the best on the team, but none of his passes or his endless running actually get him anywhere or contribute anything.

Yesterday at Leicester, we sacrificed playing 2 up top to play an extra midfielder. None of them screened the back four and none of them provided support to the lone striker. I do not actually know what all 3 of them did all game - I don't recall one significant contribution from any of them, aside from a couple of tackles from Morris. Skuse and Pearson may as well not have been there yesterday, they did the square root of **** all between them.

Unfortunately what we "want to be" is irrelevant right now. Fact is we are where we are and Skuse is, by far, our most consistent player.

I don't mean to be rude, but I stopped reading after the first paragraph

Well you might want to read on, as the only thing Skuse has been consistent in this season is letting his man go beyond him and not helping out his defence.

Our Central Midfield is weak, weak, weak and basically just flit about doing nothing. They don't get up to support the strikers, they don't create opportunities, they don't hustle the opposition, they don't make/win tackles and most importantly they don't help out the defence, leaving the CB's horribly exposed.

The last truely decent central midfielder to leave the club was the ageing Paul Hartley. Paul Hartley hasn't been replaced and that's why we still struggle with the central midfield as Marvin Elliott hasn't been at his best consistent form for years now. To sign a decent young Championship level central midfielder would cost £millions and I can't see the club paying that anytime soon.

Blackburn 2nd goal - Skuse & Pearson are passed around on the edge of the box as if they don't exist.

Blackburn 3rd goal - Rochina easily out-paces & out-muscles Skuse to get to the heart of our defence before scoring. Far too weak.

Blackburn 5th goal - Skuse, Pearson & Foster all on the halfway line when the ball goes forward to Rhodes. Carey tries holding Rhodes up, backing him off to the edge of the box. By the time Rhodes shoots, Foster has sprinted back and has made it to the box, Pearson has jogged back a little, while Skuse has made up about 10 yards and is in no urgency whatsoever to make it back to help his exposed centre back. When played forward, there was a 3 v 2 situation in City's favour. When Rhodes struck it was a 4 v 4 situation. Only Foster had made it back, whilst our midfield let 2 of theirs go beyond them.

I don't think I'll ever forget the way Blackburn were able to almost stroll through our central midfield and central defence. You don't see that situation very often in the middle of the playing field at any level of football as normally tackles start flying in. However, Blackburn did have some class players on the pitch especially in midfield where Dickson Etuhu dominated from start to finish.

I am a Cole Skuse fan and probably that is because compared to what we have at the moment is all to go on. Last year we had Cisse who I felt we should of and maybe in light of things this season retain him.

I enjoyed your blog Harry and agree a lot of teams just cut through our midfield at ease.

I have been saying for a while now that I feel Davies should be in midfield, good in the air, not afraid to tackle has pace and from what I have seen a good eye for a pass. Before everyone says b**llocks didn't Sholes start as a forward. I think Davies could be the missing link. Started as a left winger where we have Woolford, Anderson and Pearson. Plenty of cover, forwards Baldock Taylor Stead and Pitman.

We have always played a flat midfield who is the attacking central midfielder? When you have an attacking midfielder then you can say to Skuse or Elliott protect the back four allow the other to concentrate on the bit, and Davies can do that as he is not afraid with the rough stuff like some of the others we have.

Unfortunately what we "want to be" is irrelevant right now. Fact is we are where we are and Skuse is, by far, our most consistent player.

What's skuse consistent at then?

What's skuse consistent at then?

Consistent at offering nothing week in week out. The OP is spot on.

You win and lose games on the strength of your midfield and our's especially when Skuse is in it will never be good enough.

Skuse is a long streak of piss. 6ft 1 yet so weak it's laughable. Never wants responsibility on the ball and everything he does is half hearted. Like the OP said he is a classic 'Safe' player. Doesnt offer anything in both boxes neither. No football nous too for a player at just 26 and 250 league games under his belt.

Yes he runs around is decent technically and chucks in the odd cross field pass but that's as good as you get.

It's cringe worthy watching Skuse chase a lost cause that would never be got just to get his 'Skuuuuuse' chant and his round of applause. Tinnion was like that but at least he had quality.

Typical City fans loves a local lad especially when ones a 'trier'.

Pathetic excuse for a midfield player is Cole Skuse.

Let's be honest the midfield lacks a tackler and that man missing is cisse if I were Del I'd go and get him in. That in turn will help the defence, I am not skuse biggest fan but he's probably been our best player in the centre midfield so far.

To be honest , if Cisse would come back here for a reasonable wage , he is as good an option as anyone we have in our current squad.

It would also allow us to go back to 4-4-2 which was a potent formation for us early doors. Playing 4-3-3 , in order to protect the defence , has curbed some of our attacking threat and we need to get back to going at teams in the manner that we did against Palace and Cardiff.

IMO of course.

You may be right about Skuse, but I think you could say the same about every midfield players we have.

I don't think we have one quality central midfielder at the club. If you can't compete in technical ability, you should at least work harder than you opponents, which Skuse does!

IMO of course :icecream:

How did Jody Morris play at the weekend? Will he keep his place?

'He has height, but rarely wins headers'

He wins loads of headers.

I reckon this post is a deliberate wind up.

Class player - Pearson is the problem at the moment he is pants. He cannot pass. He was our worst player on Sat - and that includes Fonts awful first half performance.

He should go on Mastermind , he'd clean up !

'How did Jody Morris play at the weekend? Will he keep his place?'.

Did better than Kilkenny defensively. Passing was fine - but he had to play with Pearson who was Goddawful and lost possesion everytime he attempted a pass, so it made him look worse than he was. Pearson should be dropped for that performance.

'How did Jody Morris play at the weekend? Will he keep his place?'.

Did better than Kilkenny defensively. Passing was fine - but he had to play with Pearson who was Goddawful and lost possesion everytime he attempted a pass, so it made him look worse than he was. Pearson should be dropped for that performance.

Given Stephen Pearson’s impressive CV it’s pretty embarrassing watching him play football especially when in CM. Offers the odd burst in the box but that's about it. Like Skuse is lightweight and cant keep the ball.

Being so one footed gets him and the rest of the team in all sorts of bother.

Once Marv is fit I would play him and Morris together. Bets of a bad bunch IMO.

Although I am not Cole Skuse's biggest fan I do believe he is a decent midfield option. But like the rest of the central midfielders on the books he's not going to turn a game with cultured passing or by enforcing his will on the centre of the park. The problem is we were lacking quality in most positions. Del had to prioritise where he was going to spend the available cash and he took the view that the attack and defence needed strengthening more that the centre of the midfield. On the face of it his signings of Jody Morris and Paul Anderson do seem a little strange when their combined wages could have gone towards a better class midfielder or indeed the right footed centre half we are crying out for. But I'm sure Morris bring a lot to the table behind the scenes and Anderson is a victim of Wooly's improved form. I'm sure Derek can see we need more strengthening and an improvement of quality especially in midfield.Once we've sorted out the centre half situation his next priority, I'm sure, will be a midfielder will passing ability and the vision to use it. But we are a work in progress and it will take more than one or two transfer windows to assemble a squad to challenge the best in this division. Given Del's summer signing I am happy to wait and see him develop a squad and I'm sure we will end up with a squad to be proud of.

Although I am not Cole Skuse's biggest fan I do believe he is a decent midfield option. But like the rest of the central midfielders on the books he's not going to turn a game with cultured passing or by enforcing his will on the centre of the park. The problem is we were lacking quality in most positions. Del had to prioritise where he was going to spend the available cash and he took the view that the attack and defence needed strengthening more that the centre of the midfield. On the face of it his signings of Jody Morris and Paul Anderson do seem a little strange when their combined wages could have gone towards a better class midfielder or indeed the right footed centre half we are crying out for. But I'm sure Morris bring a lot to the table behind the scenes and Anderson is a victim of Wooly's improved form. I'm sure Derek can see we need more strengthening and an improvement of quality especially in midfield.Once we've sorted out the centre half situation his next priority, I'm sure, will be a midfielder will passing ability and the vision to use it. But we are a work in progress and it will take more than one or two transfer windows to assemble a squad to challenge the best in this division. Given Del's summer signing I am happy to wait and see him develop a squad and I'm sure we will end up with a squad to be proud of.

Well said and a very good post numbeast.

Agree with all that but i see Skuse as a decent option only at RB.

'He has height, but rarely wins headers'

He wins loads of headers.

I reckon this post is a deliberate wind up.

Class player - Pearson is the problem at the moment he is pants. He cannot pass. He was our worst player on Sat - and that includes Fonts awful first half performance.

No, it's not a deliberate wind-up fella - it's something I've felt for a long time and finally I've decided it's time to bring my opinion forth.

Sorry - I don't see Skuse dominant in the air. You've picked out one point from my post. Would you care to reason why you think Skuse wasn't in some way at fault for the 7 goals I've noted him at fault for?

Let's be honest the midfield lacks a tackler and that man missing is cisse if I were Del I'd go and get him in. That in turn will help the defence, I am not skuse biggest fan but he's probably been our best player in the centre midfield so far.

Sorry Pete, I know you've been bashed in the past for bashing Skuse, but I think the bashers have got to you here fella!

I can't understand how anyone can say that Skuse has been our best centre midfielder this season.

I've evidenced above numerous occasions where he was at fault for a goal conceded. Some of those instances he was either poor, weak or slow, others he just simply did not DO HIS JOB.

I can't think of a single thing that he has actually done to influence a game this season. Pearson has also been poor, but at least he has chipped in with a couple of goals. Skuse has not been our best CM this season, he has trotted around a lot, looking busy but has not made any telling contribution in the positive. On numerous occasions he has not DONE HIS JOB. As evidenced above.

It's one thing doing your job but doing it badly. It's another thing completely to not do your job at all.

I think Skuse was excellent in midfield before his injury, he retained possession brilliantly and used the ball well allowing us to play some really entertaining stuff at the start.

Yes, defensively our midfield is a little powder puff, and perhaps people are desperate to see a stronger but less entertaining team... But I quite enjoyed the style Del was bringing to the gate before the run of injuries and I'd have loved to see that continue.

Should probably read on then and you'll see the points are valid! He's a great player, if you know little about what makes a good centre midfielder, especially off the ball.

I've got to say it but I agree with the Skuse comments. 'Safe' absolutely sums him up. He so averse to risk it's ridiculous. I recall last season he took a free kick on the edge of the box, but rather than being responsible for a bad attempt into the box he chose to knock it back 30 yards to the half way line. For me that was a perfect cameo for Skuse. The applause he gets for successive safe, sideways and backwards passes is laughable. Of course, It really doesn't help him either because his entire Bristol City has always been too comfortable. He's always only ever been half the player he could be. At the end of last season he nabbed a couple of goals by breaking from midfield, which led me to think that he'd finally become the box to box player he should be. Now he seems to have reverted to the old, predictable type. Skuse is the one player who you can pick every single pass he'll make 5 seconds before he plays it.

He has many attributes to be a top player. He's technically very good, energetic, conscientious and pacy. Unfortunately he's spoilt by elements of the crowd (his fan club) and evidently without any ambition whatsoever.

Sorry Pete, I know you've been bashed in the past for bashing Skuse, but I think the bashers have got to you here fella!

I can't understand how anyone can say that Skuse has been our best centre midfielder this season.

I've evidenced above numerous occasions where he was at fault for a goal conceded. Some of those instances he was either poor, weak or slow, others he just simply did not DO HIS JOB.

I can't think of a single thing that he has actually done to influence a game this season. Pearson has also been poor, but at least he has chipped in with a couple of goals. Skuse has not been our best CM this season, he has trotted around a lot, looking busy but has not made any telling contribution in the positive. On numerous occasions he has not DONE HIS JOB. As evidenced above.

It's one thing doing your job but doing it badly. It's another thing completely to not do your job at all.

I agree with you unfortunately he's been best of bad bunch. I been calling for Morris to be given a run for ages and I'd go and give isse any contract he wanted that is who we are missing.

I'll guarantee if he was in there our back four wouldn't be so exposed.

The criticism on this thread is way over the top. Trying to blame Skuse for 7 goals and decsribing each of them in detail, from which it transpires that for many of them several players were culpable, smacks of a bit of a witch hunt.

Skuseys qualities are chasing back and tackling and breaking up the opposition play, which he does nearly as well as Elliot but with far more class when he has the ball.

That said, as a massive fan of Skusey I have to say I think he has the potential to affect the game far more than he does. I do wish he'd drive forward a lot more than he does and become, as someone else has said, a real box to box player.

The criticism on this thread is way over the top. Trying to blame Skuse for 7 goals and decsribing each of them in detail, from which it transpires that for many of them several players were culpable, smacks of a bit of a witch hunt.

Skuseys qualities are chasing back and tackling and breaking up the opposition play, which he does nearly as well as Elliot but with far more class when he has the ball.

That said, as a massive fan of Skusey I have to say I think he has the potential to affect the game far more than he does. I do wish he'd drive forward a lot more than he does and become, as someone else has said, a real box to box player.

You say it's a witch hunt and then describe what you believe skuse to be ie breaking up play and tackling even though Harry has described on at least 7 occasions that's EXACTLY what he's not done!!!!

You say it's a witch hunt and then describe what you believe skuse to be ie breaking up play and tackling even though Harry has described on at least 7 occasions that's EXACTLY what he's not done!!!!

He's a decent player not omnipresent.

Of the goals Harry describes, Harry singles out Skuse for only two of them as solely responsible. The others, Harry accepts, other or all the midfield are to blame. So why is the flak mainly directed at Skuse.

Archived