IGNORED

When International Football Was Good - Well For Me Anyway

MC RISK77

Hi all, i always see debates on here during International Week about who cares and who doesnt care, and the sentiment seems to be now more than ever that club wins over country every time.

However I was thinking back to a time when i really cared about international matches and for some reason the game on the attached link came to mind, I just remember rushing home from primary school to get back in time for this game, eating my tea on my lap watching my early heroes Robson and Lineker tear Yugoslavia apart in a game England needed a draw out of to qualify for Euro 88. Hostile cold night in Yugoslavia and England scored 4 in first half to qualify.

It was around this time when i loved the internationals, i dont know when that really stopped, but im guessing it probably did once the Premier League started and SKY became involved and we have become saturated in club football live on TV, that the International games just didnt feel that special any more.

However if anyone does have fond memories of any International matches you remember and the buzz you got from them please post on here, would be interesting to see other opinions.

Have a good one

i remember us playing aginst a team (might be Greece) around mid 80'sish but it kicked off at 2pm so a few of us knocked off school for the afternoon to watch it!! also remmber the above game and the same as MC Risk rushed home to watch the game. good times.

I used to go to all the home internationals at the old Wembley. The atmosphere on the (unsegregated) terraces was fantastic.

I suppose, like the OP, internationals hold less interest for me now. I think the fact that many PL players come across as overpaid repugnant primadonnas doesn't make you want to cheer on their exploits for the country.

The good old days!

I've alluded to this before, is it not just that we are all getting older? I'm sure our Dad's wouldn't have been that bothered about watching this game back in the day, if it was on then I'm sure my Dad would've - but I'm sure he wouldn't have rushed home from work to make a point of it. Now, if Jimmy Greaves was playing, he'd have been there like a shot

I don't have any heroes in the England team any more, and haven't for a long, long time. I think that is what makes us look back so misty eyed - Lineker, Robson, Hoddle, Butcher et al, they are who we grew up with. Not Rooney, Cole, Walcott etc. I'm sure there are 12 year olds out there desperately wanting it to be Friday so they can watch us play San Marino.......as hard as us 'old' gits find that hard to believe!

The good old days!

I've alluded to this before, is it not just that we are all getting older? I'm sure our Dad's wouldn't have been that bothered about watching this game back in the day, if it was on then I'm sure my Dad would've - but I'm sure he wouldn't have rushed home from work to make a point of it. Now, if Jimmy Greaves was playing, he'd have been there like a shot

I don't have any heroes in the England team any more, and haven't for a long, long time. I think that is what makes us look back so misty eyed - Lineker, Robson, Hoddle, Butcher et al, they are who we grew up with. Not Rooney, Cole, Walcott etc. I'm sure there are 12 year olds out there desperately wanting it to be Friday so they can watch us play San Marino.......as hard as us 'old' gits find that hard to believe!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be !

when you're a kid you don't really have the same awareness of the character of the players, their financial situations and attitudes etc. as a young fan you also assume that because the game means so much to you, it must mean a lot to the players too. when you get older you learn differently.

i remember us playing aginst a team (might be Greece) around mid 80'sish but it kicked off at 2pm so a few of us knocked off school for the afternoon to watch it!! also remmber the above game and the same as MC Risk rushed home to watch the game. good times.

If it was the 0-3 away win in Thessalonica then I was there for that one, Woodcock scored a couple if I remember rightly. Bobby Robson was manager.

Things started to go downhill for me when we appointed our first foreign manager.

2 weeks off to play san marino? It's a F'ing joke.

And you can guarantee Wenger and that senile old bastard ferguson will be calling for a winter break come christmas time. But we've already had 2 winter breaks so far this season, and we get another one in November!!!

We need to copy rugby and cricket, and carry on domestic football when the national teams play. Or the FA should financially compensate the clubs for loss of earnings.

2 weeks off to play san marino? It's a F'ing joke.

And you can guarantee Wenger and that senile old bastard ferguson will be calling for a winter break come christmas time. But we've already had 2 winter breaks so far this season, and we get another one in November!!!

We need to copy rugby and cricket, and carry on domestic football when the national teams play. Or the FA should financially compensate the clubs for loss of earnings.

Er I think this international break is much needed for City!!

no offence but what a load of old farts we all are, nothings changed we weren't world beaters then and arent now.

What is for sure is that we love supporting England and whether its Golden Balls or Golden Oldies we will keep coming back for more punishment - as with every previous era this is surely set to be a great one !

when you're a kid you don't really have the same awareness of the character of the players, their financial situations and attitudes etc. as a young fan you also assume that because the game means so much to you, it must mean a lot to the players too. when you get older you learn differently.

Get where you're coming from, but not so sure I agree. The game has changed exponentially since when we were kids. The players were still loyal - as we didn't have this crazy transfer circus - we could name a player and they would be synonymous with a club because they moved quote infrequently and the notion of a one club later was very common. I remember my bedroom wall being covered in posters of players, and it being a pain when occasion they moved and I'd gabe to take one down. Can't imagine what it's like now for kids with their posters!

We had very little exposure to the players' character/personality other than what they did on the pitch and maybe an odd interview on saint & greavsie or match/shoot magazine. Nowadays it is everywhere. Also, the players weren't paid so handsomely (or should that be inappropriately?) so we could relate to them more.

The last few words on this video shows how strong the England team was then 'on comes Hoddle ' if a player like Hoddle can't make the team then it must be strong.

What a player, often said - but how many caps would he have got if he was Brazilian, Italian, French etc? A lot more that the 50 odd he got for England, that's for sure. Pretty sure I read yesterday that Carlton Palmer got 16, compared to Matt le Tissier's 8......that says all you need to know

Archived