IGNORED

Fans Parliament / New Website

Dave L

Not sure why a company with 30+ offices around the world should need a "working party" to fix so many fundamental flaws after go live.

It's like they've forgotten every good principle of website development and just got an excitable teenager to make it.

So frustrating when you see the potential around Bristol with its thriving web industries that we're contracted until 2017 with a bunch of absolute shysters who have not got a clue.

If this was a website that I had developed and was putting my name to, I'd resign in shame.

Here's a link to this week's blog. We're still looking for delegates for the new Fans Parliament, and there's some more news on the new-look website.

http://www.bcfc.co.u...log-419436.aspx

Is Adam's working party taking into account supporters views expressed on this forum plus the feedback form on the website, (which appeared to work for some but not others !)

Not sure why a company with 30+ offices around the world should need a "working party" to fix so many fundamental flaws after go live.

It's like they've forgotten every good principle of website development and just got an excitable teenager to make it.

So frustrating when you see the potential around Bristol with its thriving web industries that we're contracted until 2017 with a bunch of absolute shysters who have not got a clue.

If this was a website that I had developed and was putting my name to, I'd resign in shame.

View From The Dolman - that's the view from the Robbo too.

Mrs Robbo runs a web development and marketing agency. I showed her the new look site and she said it breaks so many rules on usability and good design that she'd never consider employing anyone who'd worked on it.

It's a real shame that after what was frankly a pretty poor deal with premiumtv, the club have allowed the football league to enter into another five year deal with an incompetent company on their behalf. Why didn't the club go it alone?

Also, a contract works both ways. It would have to be a pretty poor contract if it were not possible to show that right now it is being breached, so why not get out of it?

BCFC probably has a very high traffic website compared to most FL clubs and could certainly make it a profitable venture going solo, probably more so.

Well for me its all about the content, I don't really understand the whole web traffic thing = profit, I want to click and get my fix, that's all.

I prefer this new one as its simpler to navigate, and seems to have less ads and/or spam, change the colour of whatever to black, maybe too much white gives the impression of cheap, not that I give a crap, I just hope see news, fixtures, results, not promos to some gambling site or borrow 5 mins cash, speaking of which..

View From The Dolman - that's the view from the Robbo too.

Mrs Robbo runs a web development and marketing agency. I showed her the new look site and she said it breaks so many rules on usability and good design that she'd never consider employing anyone who'd worked on it.

Good to know my thoughts are shared by my peers.

It's just incredibly frustrating when you know you could do oh so much better on your own and that this is the work of a global beast.

Some of the stuff coming out of Sapient Nitro is absolutely abhorrent. They blamed technical issues with publishing of articles on the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round draw - an event that was only relevant to 8(?) of the non-league clubs in the FLi mix.

The facts will speak for themselves in the fullness of time I am sure.

These changes will reduce visitors, reduce pages per visit, reduce time on site, reduce ad revenues. I am wholly confident in that - it's what years of experience managing an international e-commerce business website, 100+ million unique visitors in my time has taught me.

Content is obviously key but it's actually immensely difficult to find anything. You go to the homepage, you get today's top headlines. That's what you expect. Click 'Fans' in the navigation and you get a page with the 'Fans' headline but the top of the page is dominated by the very same content as the homepage. Ah, the content is below the fold, somewhat lost. But oh wait. It's not ready for public consumption. It's just a whole load of 'lorem ipsum'.

Some links take you to the FLi's testbed area and ask for a username and password... has nobody been through checking these things?

I'll click Team. Ooooh, we've got a pretty squad page. I can filter it down to just the goalkeepers. Actually, pretty decently done if not the most thrill-a-minute of features.

I'll scroll on down. Oh we've got a nice gallery of the Amex Stadium. Just what every Bristol City fan desires. We'll ignore that 23 of the 26 images are the same shot...

Oh, we've got the reserve team fixtures link in the right column... oh that's lorem ipsum too. And fixtures for the ladies team. The Bristol City ladies team. The non-existent Bristol City ladies team.

Players on Twitter? David James. Ah yes, that AFC Bournemouth keeper. We'll not bother about our own players. Those ones we follow during the week on Twitter and then all over the country each weekend...

Summing up. Technically - it's badly wrong. Usability - it's badly wrong. Content - it's just not ready.

Archived