IGNORED

Naive

Tales From The Front

Just one observation which I think is a major contributing factor in our defensive trouble, is the level of naivety. Prime example Kevin Davis stand in the wall, not one of our players tries to stand in front or behind him at the free kick for their first goal. it was obvious to me that he would either barge the City wall or do as he did jump up to allow the kick to pass under him. I said so at the time and the guy in front turnned round and noded when the likely even happend, the ball hit the net. Totally avoidable in my view but as we all know we just dont have an organiser or leader on the pitch.

City struggled to get the ball down and play yesterday and I have to say thast the result was predictable sadly, it doesn't make it any easier though when Ryan Taylor misses a free header six yard out in a central position in the last minute of normal time how he didn't score I really don't know but managed to head the ball away from goal. I felt really sorry for Steve Davies who played well scored a fanstasic openner and very good pen. His alround game forraging for scraps was good and was rightly miffed when he got subbed.

McMannus made a defference, beleive it or not but it does shows that our problems are quite deep defensively and certianly being far more street wise would definately help. Cunningham of course is a big miss as well.

I made a note of watching Kevin Davis as it's the first time I've seen him play live. I'm amazed at what he gets away with, pushing shoving and barging all the time, but it's all subtle on the refs blindside, then a soon as gets a nudge down he goes. I think at least 2 of our yellow cards came from a City player in a tangle with Davis. Chis Eagles was just as bad.

Agree with OP, we are very naive at this level, especially against the ex-premier teams.

If you have watched Louis Carey over the last few seasons you will see what his amount of experience gives players.Some of the little digs and nudges he gets away would bring uproar from our fans iif the opposition tried to do it.I believe it is called using your nous.

Matt Bryant used to be brilliant at doing that as well. Tugs and shoves here and there and rarely pulled up on it.

Aye, Matt Bryant was great, but his game was effectively ended when the pass back law came in. Where he used to slip in and get the ball back to the keeper, when that option ended, a lot of his game went, it didn't look like he could master the change in defence after that. Maybe that is why he tried to shoot his foot off with a shot gun when he want to Gillingham! Daft bugger!

Classic case for me yesterday was the sight of the ref not knowing how to referee Davis. He backed into Fontaine, Fonts stood his ground and a free kick was given against him, next time Fonts took a step backwards and Davis's leaning makes him off balance and he falls backwards, decision (again) free kick to Bolton. Damned if you do damned if you don't. Davis is a big player in this league and big players get cut more slack by the referees.

Archived