IGNORED

Mcinnes- The Stats.

bearded_red

I'm fully behind the manager and although he does at times make some very odd decisions at times any talk of a potential sacking is of course ridiculous.

Last night was McInnes' 46th league game in charge of City so I thought it was a decent time to look at how we would have fared had those 46 games comprised one full season rather than parts of two.

54 points. (enough for 18th place last season)

57 goals for.

69 goals against.

Two embarrassing cup performances.

Now taking into account the mess we were in when he took over that is by no means a bad record and I think the vast majority would accept 18th this season.

The problems are that in the 34 games last season that McInnes was in charge we took 43 points from 34 games (1.26 points a game) which over the course of 46 games would leave us with 58. Not bad at all. Whereas this season so far (although 12 games is of course a small sample and too early to make any real judgement) we have 11 points (0.92 points a game) which would give us 42 over the space of a season. Not very good.

Of course the positive from this season so far (apart from the higher number of goals) is that we are still ahead of our points tally from this stage in the last two seasons. However, in the ten fixtures we have played this season that we also played last season (basically all the games apart from Blackburn and Bolton) we are actually six points worse off than we were last season.

It is also worth noting that at this stage in the last two seasons we were about to go on a very good run (we had already began that run by beating Reading two years ago) so if we don't start turning our form around soon it won't be long before we find ourselves in a inferior position than we did in the last two years.

We do have a better, if somewhat slightly lopsided, squad this year and I am still relatively confident that we will be safe from relegation and finish somewhere around 16th, but we do need to stop this slide asap. The positives are we are still showing some fight and we're still scoring goals. The negatives are clearly the amount of goals we are conceding, the danger that the two demoralising defeats we have suffered this week will knock any confidence we previously had and the fact that at the moment although we're still scoring we're relying on quite freaky goals. Since we last played well (Watford) the goals we have scored have been an Albert Adomah diving header, an own goal, a header into an open net from 30 yards, an overhead kick, two softly given away penalties, a free kick and a goal from the rebound of the freekick. This may be me simply being pessimistic but I am concerned that these types of goal are going to dry up a long time before we stop letting them in at the other end.

I'm fully behind the manager and although he does at times make some very odd decisions at times any talk of a potential sacking is of course ridiculous.

Last night was McInnes' 46th league game in charge of City so I thought it was a decent time to look at how we would have fared had those 46 games comprised one full season rather than parts of two.

57 goals for.

69 goals against.

Now taking into account the mess we were in when he took over that is by no means a bad record and I think the vast majority would accept 18th this season.

The problems are that in the 34 games last season that McInnes was in charge we took 43 points from 34 games (1.26 points a game) which over the course of 46 games would leave us with 58. Not bad at all. Whereas this season so far (although 12 games is of course a small sample and too early to make any real judgement) we have 11 points (0.92 points a game) which would give us 42 over the space of a season. Not very good.

Of course the positive from this season so far (apart from the higher number of goals) is that we are still ahead of our points tally from this stage in the last two seasons. However, in the ten fixtures we have played this season that we also played last season (basically all the games apart from Blackburn and Bolton) we are actually six points worse off than we were last season.

It is also worth noting that at this stage in the last two seasons we were about to go on a very good run (we had already began that run by beating Reading two years ago) so if we don't start turning our form around soon it won't be long before we find ourselves in a inferior position than we did in the last two years.

We do have a better, if somewhat slightly lopsided, squad this year and I am still relatively confident that we will be safe from relegation and finish somewhere around 16th, but we do need to stop this slide asap. The positives are we are still showing some fight and we're still scoring goals. The negatives are clearly the amount of goals we are conceding, the danger that the two demoralising defeats we have suffered this week will knock any confidence we previously had and the fact that at the moment although we're still scoring we're relying on quite freaky goals. Since we last played well (Watford) the goals we have scored have been an Albert Adomah diving header, an own goal, a header into an open net from 30 yards, an overhead kick, two softly given away penalties, a free kick and a goal from the rebound of the freekick. This may be me simply being pessimistic but I am concerned that these types of goal are going to dry up a long time before we stop letting them in at the other end.

he has 3 games for me,

We need to be more disiplined less gung hoo and stronger in the middle,

Skuse needs to be dropped he is the weak link in midfield at the moment,

theres not much we can do with the defense unfortinatlly,

I think we need to go back to the boring 4-5-1 hoof ball for a few games to grind out and get points on the board

he has 3 games for me,

We need to be more disiplined less gung hoo and stronger in the middle,

Skuse needs to be dropped he is the weak link in midfield at the moment,

theres not much we can do with the defense unfortinatlly,

I think we need to go back to the boring 4-5-1 hoof ball for a few games to grind out and get points on the board

I dont think it is a boring formation if played right. Our best performance last season at home to Southampton was 4-5-1.

There is certainly a case for playing 5 in midfield bearing mind how weak our midfield have been recently. He hasn't really built a squad that is suited to playing that way though.

We've got five forwards which leads to four of them being unhappy. I don't think any of our forwards are ideally suited to playing upfront alone. Stead and Taylor will obviously lead the line, but can you rely on either for goals?, whereas the other three will get you a goal but playing up there alone wouldn't suit them. We don't really have a midfielder that can float around in the hole in the same way that David Noble did either, Kilkenny has in glimpses, but more often that not he ends up standing next to to the centre halves before too long.

I was thinking last night of possibly playing Davies in a withdrawn role behind Taylor. Tell your two central midfielders that their primary job is to protect the back four, have Taylor as a target to hit when we are under pressure (our best football has came with him the team) and then have Albert on the right, Davies in a number 10 role and then Anderson/Woolford on the left wing.

When McInnes took over at St Johnstone they finished second.

The followinfg season they went back to third position.

In his third season, and second full season, they won the league.

So maybe we have to be patient. Maybe we have to take a step back before moving forward.

The problem with that is - do we have room to take a step back?

Agree that a change to a 433 would be a good idea now. I actually thought in pre-season that was how we were gonna line up given the players we have. I actually think it's arrogant of DM & TD to think that our midfield 2 are good enough to dominate 3 men against them. As we all saw last night, Skuse & Morris had rings run round them for 90mins by midfield runners. The only concern is that now we've got so many strikers, he's gonna keep insisting on playing 2 up top sacrificing that extra midfielder.

I'd like to see Baldock upfront with Adomah & Davies in slightly wider areas and a midfield 3 of Skuse, Pearson & Morris. Jody has got to improve on last night's showing though - he was a complete passenger. Marv will walk back into this side no trouble if that continues.

For what it's worth on Fontaine, I actually thought he looked better last night - in fact it was 1-1 when he went off injured! He was certainly better than his appalling performance against Millwall. I'm very happy McManus is back but he was hugely at fault for Burnley's 1st goal trying to play an offside on his own rather than going with his man.

Del's Player interview was poor as well. Too many excuses. Loads of work needed & needed fast.

Agree that a change to a 433 would be a good idea now. I actually thought in pre-season that was how we were gonna line up given the players we have. I actually think it's arrogant of DM & TD to think that our midfield 2 are good enough to dominate 3 men against them. As we all saw last night, Skuse & Morris had rings run round them for 90mins by midfield runners. The only concern is that now we've got so many strikers, he's gonna keep insisting on playing 2 up top sacrificing that extra midfielder.

I'd like to see Baldock upfront with Adomah & Davies in slightly wider areas and a midfield 3 of Skuse, Pearson & Morris. Jody has got to improve on last night's showing though - he was a complete passenger. Marv will walk back into this side no trouble if that continues.

For what it's worth on Fontaine, I actually thought he looked better last night - in fact it was 1-1 when he went off injured! He was certainly better than his appalling performance against Millwall. I'm very happy McManus is back but he was hugely at fault for Burnley's 1st goal trying to play an offside on his own rather than going with his man.

Del's Player interview was poor as well. Too many excuses. Loads of work needed & needed fast.

Agreed mate.

I think with the midfield we have, when playing 4-4-2 we will always got over run. Crazy I know given the strikers we have at our disposal but something has to change. This is something that should have been considered when Del made his signings.

I might even be tempted to play Taylor up top on his own with Adomah and Davies out wide.

Davies is the only player who looks like he can make things happen so perhaps playing him a little deeper and get him on the ball will actually benefit us. Morris was poor last night, and I think we missed Pearson's drive a little. Aside from that our midfield is very very poor.

57 goals for.

69 goals against.

I'm not drawing any conclusions from this, but just for the record, Keith Millen's record in his last 46 league games before getting the sack was:

• W16 D9 L21

• 57 points (3 more than Del)
  • Goals for 60 (3 more than Del)
  • Goals against 66 (3 fewer than Del)

If you include the cup games, then their records are almost identical.

I was as surprised at this as you probably are.

I'm not drawing any conclusions from this, but just for the record, Keith Millen's record in his last 46 league games before getting the sack was:

• W16 D9 L21

No No No Millen is the anti Christ, Mcinnes is the saviour. In del we trust :)

• W16 D9 L21

I'm not actually as surprised by that as many others will be. It is almost universally forgotten, but we had a decent season in Millen's full season (bar one game) in charge and he deserves credit for the reasonably comfortable season we had that year. Certainly bearing in mind what a shambles we were at the start of the season.

My point about us being in a mess was more about the situation McInnes faced when he initially took over (6 points from 13 games, poor squad etc). This is just my opinion of course, but I didn't feel we had much chance of staying up this time last year, but we just about managed it.

• W16 D9 L21

Why is that a surprise? We finished 15th in Millen's full season, and your records won't count the poor run we went on at the start of that season.

Archived