IGNORED

Did We Start Tumbling Down After Johnson Sacking?

hippy273

We all know why you hate Johnson so no point going over old ground, GJ is the best manager for me we've had (been watching city since 84). Took us out that god awful division below after the 9th time of asking and nearly got us to the premier league. Some more respect for his achievements from certain city fans is needed.

I've been watching City since 1961 and IMNSHO GJ was second only to AD in what he achieved. We were a dodgy stomach and an early injury away from the Prem and no one should forget it.

The last season GJ was in charge he started with Orr and McAllister as Wing backs, which wasn't particularly playing either of those players to their strengths, (As superb a full back Orr was). Then we had the the whole fiasco with Basso wanting to move on and I think that got us off to a bad start as it destabilised the morale of the team, (Although I thought Gerkin did a great job as no 1 that season). Apart from Hartley I thought some of his signings were a bit suspect; Saborio and Clarkson to name a few. In the Ajax freindly Sno looked superb in the centre and I thought he would make an immediate impact - until Johnson started playing him out wide! Overall, I think that a combination of tactical naivity, poor signings and an all to frequent habit of leaking late goals cost him his position and I think caused a few of the problems we have seen throughout the team over the past couple of seasons. Saying that tho he was a brilliant manager for us over the course of his time here and the club progressed, so he has to be regarded as a success.

Actually, I thought 3-5-2 was a decent idea that season and it was employed successfully by Millen with that squad when Johnson departed.

I think he actually bought Clarkson to play an advanced midfield role in 3-5-2, plus he signed Blackman to play left wing back. Clarkson's lack of fitness and Blackman's lack of brain put paid to that and he gave up on the experiment very quickly.

Proof if needed, one of the first things he did at Yeovil was to close there Centre of excellence.

That was nothing to do with Johnson that was to do with the new set up the prem forced on the football league they could not afford to run one and 10 other teams closed at the same time

What's short sighted about the board taking action if City are in danger of relegation? Essentially they have two option. 1) Get the cheque book out. 2) Change the manager.

beacuse we can't afford to start again for the third time in 2 years we don't have the money and FFP won't let us,

Archived