IGNORED

Do We Already Have A Right Sided Cb?

potbelly

Again, very short memories. Skuse was a very competent RB last season. He prefers to play MF though and McInnes indulged him and he put in several very good turns there - with the added security of Cisse behind him to shield the defence. a luxury we don't have this season.

Of course, it has to be said, Foster offers speed going forward as RB. He offers nothing as a midfielder.

Edit: He isn't a centre back though.

No.

Skuse cannot play CB.

Marvin Elliot, maybe?

But as Tangs had a decent game, we can make do if he keeps his form.

Thought the same myself, though I believe Skuse could make a decent RB but Elliot has all the attributes to be a dominant CB, has he the discipline?

Many players have been converted to a fullback role and excelled, Orr is the first to come to mind. We could then save Wilsons wages and use it on a midfielder.

Talking of midfieders, why does everyone keep bleating on about either a defensive or attacking midfielder? Why can't we get a midfielder that does both?

Indeed - we were beaten yesterday because five or six players were in their preferred positions - that's not the route to total football and will inevitably lead to envy in the camp

If team selection is no more than drawing names from a hat I am happy to perform the role without payment or commitment to severance pay when the Chairman finds me out

Talking of midfieders, why does everyone keep bleating on about either a defensive or attacking midfielder? Why can't we get a midfielder that does both?

Because Paul Hartley got old! Although I do honestly believe if Elliot can get back to playing how he did a few years ago we're half way there to a decent midfield.

Because Paul Hartley got old! Although I do honestly believe if Elliot can get back to playing how he did a few years ago we're half way there to a decent midfield.

Was or is Hartley, the only midfieder capable of doing a job at both ends of the pitch?

I think we have probably seen the best of Marvin in that role. I refer to a more cultured footballer that also offers a defensive side to his game. I don't know or suggest one though, as I don't get to watch much football other than City these days but there must be some out there.

How about Cole Skuse at CB?

Never lets us down when he plays RB, Could we make a decent centre half out of him?

Cole Skuse started out as a centre back, I remember seeing him play there on his debut for us and did OK, but that was in League 1. I think he may have played there a couple of times under Keith Millen but didn't cope so well at Championship level.

Was or is Hartley, the only midfieder capable of doing a job at both ends of the pitch?

I think we have probably seen the best of Marvin in that role. I refer to a more cultured footballer that also offers a defensive side to his game. I don't know or suggest one though, as I don't get to watch much football other than City these days but there must be some out there.

I'm sure there are, but every single football league club wants one and I'm not sure that there's 24 quality box-to-box midfielders available to go round the Championship.

Look at the list of "Most Assists" in the Championship at the moment:

Jacob Mellis (Barnsley)

Chris Eagles (Bolton)

Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull)

Kieran Trippier (Burnley)

Thomas Ince (Blackpool)

Andy Keogh (Millwall)

Michail Antonio (Sheff Weds)

Jamie Ward (Derby)

James Henry (Millwall)

Compare it to the disciplinary record, arguably a sign of fierce tackling:

Shane Lowry (Millwall)

Alan Dunne (Millwall)

Simon Cox (Forest)

Ritchie De Laet (Leicester)

Danny Murphy (Blackburn)

Grant McCann (Peterboro)

The only players that come to mind as box-to-box players are Danny Murphy, Grant McCann and, lower down the list, Karl Henry at Wolves.

There not as prevalent as we would like. :-(

Well as we have a manager who decides to play Ryan Taylor on the right wing at Leicester and Ricky Foster in midfield yesterday I would actually suggest that maybe Skuse should play in goal and we move Heaton into the centre of defence. This would allow Lewin Nyatanga to advance into a midfield playmaking role.

Archived