IGNORED

Yet Another Home Defeat......

Mr Mosquito

I've been reading The Trusted One's informative 'ratings and review' write up of yesterday's 1-2 home defeat to Hull on the BCFC zider head's forum because I didn't see the game yesterday. When he's given ratings mainly in the range of 4-6 for the home BCFC team it suggests to me that we haven't got the playing staff to stay in the Championship. Let's face it, the rot's been here since the last season under Gary Johnson. It wont matter what manager we get here we'll struggle in the Championship without big investment in the playing staff.

I really think the club needs to be looking at investing at least £20 million in new players. I think it's decision time for the BCFC board - invest in buying in a job lot of decent players or throw in the towel and be relegated.

Anyway, instead of watching us lose 1-2 to Hull Shitty in the cold of Ashton Gate for £28 pay on the day, I paid £22 for both me and the Mrs to watch James Bond shoot, kill and maim on the big silver screen at the Mall. The club really does need to look at the prices they're charging. Watching Skyfall for £11 or watching a floundering BCFC side for £28 - no contest for me.

Where does this 20 million come from and what happens when those contracts run out (another 20 million?) and what return will that investment bring?

I think we are close to competing, we have been very unlucky so far with injuries and apparently sickness.

Running costs dictate prices, not much the club can do about that, they are trying to run a slicker ship. Your 20m investment would surely mean higher turnstile prices.

I guess for the majority of us if city are at home then the cinema is not even on the radar.

Spend £20 million on playing staff??? Silly silly post

Well, see BCFC football as an 'entertainment' industry and relate the BCFC matchday experience to the cinema industry of the 1970s. You could go to the cinema and see a then blockbuster movie like Star Wars in 1977 for about the same price as watching Bristol City play the likes of Liverpool in the top flight of English football. No contest, it had to be watching the likes of Merrick, Sweeney, Gow and Tainton match and often beat the big boys of English football. Now it's over 2 times more expensive to watch City play and often struggle in the second tier of English football than it is to see a movie blockbuster like Skyfall in a cinema at The Mall with seating, vision and sound often far in advance of what it was during the 1970s.

.....it's all down to investment or the lack of it with regard to this football club over the last 30 odd years.

Another amazing thread

English football sold its soul to Rupert Murdoch in the 90's since when it has apparently become an "entertainment" business - except that for all but a few clubs it is not a business at all. Are 80+% of cinemas run with no realistic prospect of returning a profit?

I am showing my age but I am sick and tired of individuals on this forum telling us that if anyone wants them to contribute to future of Bristol City the majority shareholder must double or treble is £12M annual subsidy.

If football is entertainment then all should (and ultimately will) switch their allegiance to one of the few clubs who regularly entertain (win), the whipping boys will gradually die ****il the great and the good realise that even the winners need someone to beat.

No Football Fan could ever seriously attempt a comparison between James Bond and Bristol City any more than a comparison between a pint of beer and your children - if its not a life-sentence then its nothing at all

Well, see BCFC football as an 'entertainment' industry and relate the BCFC matchday experience to the cinema industry of the 1970s. You could go to the cinema and see a then blockbuster movie like Star Wars in 1977 for about the same price as watching Bristol City play the likes of Liverpool in the top flight of English football. No contest, it had to be watching the likes of Merrick, Sweeney, Gow and Tainton match and often beat the big boys of English football. Now it's over 2 times more expensive to watch City play and often struggle in the second tier of English football than it is to see a movie blockbuster like Skyfall in a cinema at The Mall with seating, vision and sound often far in advance of what it was during the 1970s.

.....it's all down to investment or the lack of it with regard to this football club over the last 30 odd years.

Spot on.

Clubs have taken their bread and butter supporters for mugs for years. They have a captive audience, and treat them like shit.

And if anyone says "well we have the best prices in the championship". Then you are one of those mugs that falls for the corporate bs that comes out of the club.

This is the fault of all club chairmen and boards for refusing to say no to players and agents years ago. Now we pay the price.

I am showing my age but I am sick and tired of individuals on this forum telling us that if anyone wants them to contribute to future of Bristol City the majority shareholder must double or treble is £12M annual subsidy.

If there's no further investment in players capable of keeping this club in the Championship - especially in central midfielders and central defenders - then we really shouldn't make Del and Doc the scapegoats for this club getting relegated after continually losing at home.

Spot on.

Clubs have taken their bread and butter supporters for mugs for years. They have a captive audience, and treat them like shit.

And if anyone says "well we have the best prices in the championship". Then you are one of those mugs that falls for the corporate bs that comes out of the club.

This is the fault of all club chairmen and boards for refusing to say no to players and agents years ago. Now we pay the price.

Yours are the sentiments of the supporters of a great many football clubs in this country. I long for this club to have the loyal calibre players like Merrick, Sweeney, Gow and Tainton again but that isn't going to happen. The way things are, this club has to pay through the nose via the pockets of a rich benefactor just to stay at Championship level. If this club is to be run as a 'break even' business then our level is probably Div 1 as the Gas have found their 'break even' level at Div 2.

Archived