IGNORED

Marvin Elliott - Our New Centre Back?

The Bard

I write this expecting to be shot down in flames, but at least hear me out.

In his first season for us he defied normal expectations of a midfielder at Championship level. He covered a ridiculous amount of ground, made astounding tackles and was the heartbeat of our side. He is now 5 years older and his body is telling him that he is no longer capable of playing like that. He is still excellent in the air, a decent tackler and a threat in the opposition box. However, he lacks anything but a basic composure and is not a great passer, with poor peripheral vision. It seems to me that these attributes could be put to better use as a centre half, especially as he is now 28 (a guess) and no longer physically capable of covering the ground like he did when he reached the heights of 2007/08. He is right footed and we all know he will defend for his life if he was playing there. McManus would be a good partner for him and would probably respect him more than any of the other options.

Views?

Could be worth a shout.Marv is certainly robust enough to put it about at the back .Would love to see him get a run back in midfield though to see if he can recreate those early days.Going a bit dewy eyed thinking about Marvs first season with us.

He has the physical attributes to play there but so do the rest of our defenders and look how they are getting on. Marv biggest use to the team would be making our midfield a bit more solid and giving cover to our centre backs. Changing one CB for another one will not change anything, we need to be better as a defensive unit and I think Marv would contribute to that unit much more in Midfield.

Marv is needed in midfield we need to drop skuse who is just having a right mare at the moment,

Marv can tackle and he is good in the air and he's not that bad a passer,

We weren't too bad at the back against hull but we again had no midfield cover,

I fully expect tanga and mcmanus to be CB and Marv with kilkenny saturday

Archived