IGNORED

Frustrated With The Blame Culture

reddogkev

Morning fellow city fans, having read the fans' board today the general consensus is clear, that a large following of supporters are not happy with the current losing run and our shocking plummet to the bottom of the table, which is all the more galling after an inspiring genesis to the campaign, but one thing stands out to me - the need to point the finger and lay blame; where blame is not always due or appropriate...

Two threads today have made reference to assigning blame, giving the poster the chance to to analyse the situation and look for a scapegoat, or the single driving reason behind our failings, which annoys the crap out of me!

This is football, guys and girls, it's not a business where market factors should be analysed and rooted through to establish the crux of our problems. This is a damned tempestuous sport where, like it or not, there always has to be a winner and there is always going to be a loser. Each and every season there will be a good seven or eight teams struggling at the bottom of the table - this is the reason sport succeeds, because you never know when you are going to struggle and have to endure the bad, just as you never truly know when the good times will roll. Form and football is an inconsistent beast at this level, it can swirl and fluctuate like the winds over the Atlantic. The trick is, accept the bad like a boxer taking a hook on the chin, and greedily lap the up the good times when they follow.

I'm like any other city fan, I detest our position in the table and the fact that this season is likely to be a consistent scrap against relegation, but I still appreciate the good memories of recent years, and the fact that we were so close to the Premier league.

My point is (and if you are still listening, then I salute you) that fortunes constantly change in the game, there can be a million and one reasons for this sudden flux at any club in this country - but there is little point in allocating blame to either the coach or the board, as a fan, the only thing required is to support the team, whatever the hardship or success, and if you don't want to do that, then don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Morning fellow city fans, having read the fans' board today the general consensus is clear, that a large following of supporters are not happy with the current losing run and our shocking plummet to the bottom of the table, which is all the more galling after an inspiring genesis to the campaign, but one thing stands out to me - the need to point the finger and lay blame; where blame is not always due or appropriate...

Two threads today have made reference to assigning blame, giving the poster the chance to to analyse the situation and look for a scapegoat, or the single driving reason behind our failings, which annoys the crap out of me!

This is football, guys and girls, it's not a business where market factors should be analysed and rooted through to establish the crux of our problems. This is a damned tempestuous sport where, like it or not, there always has to be a winner and there is always going to be a loser. Each and every season there will be a good seven or eight teams struggling at the bottom of the table - this is the reason sport succeeds, because you never know when you are going to struggle and have to endure the bad, just as you never truly know when the good times will roll. Form and football is an inconsistent beast at this level, it can swirl and fluctuate like the winds over the Atlantic. The trick is, accept the bad like a boxer taking a hook on the chin, and greedily lap the up the good times when they follow.

I'm like any other city fan, I detest our position in the table and the fact that this season is likely to be a consistent scrap against relegation, but I still appreciate the good memories of recent years, and the fact that we were so close to the Premier league.

My point is (and if you are still listening, then I salute you) that fortunes constantly change in the game, there can be a million and one reasons for this sudden flux at any club in this country - but there is little point in allocating blame to either the coach or the board, as a fan, the only thing required is to support the team, whatever the hardship or success, and if you don't want to do that, then don't let the door hit you on the way out...

You have a point, and support is supposed to be unwaivering. Unfortunately the powers that be have turned this sport into business. There is no way in hell I will follow like I used to when the business is charging such extortionate rates.

Now if I was a fan of say, Clevedon, or another small club, where entrance fees are so much less, I would be inclined to agree with you.

But I can't possibly follow like a sheep Willy nilly in todays current climate.

It is human nature though.When people get angry ,frustrated and disillusioned people want to lay the blame somewhere.It is certainly not confined to football.I try to stay upbeat and not point fingers but after these three seasons it is hard to be optimistic.That said and at the risk I being labelled a happy clapper I either cheer and sing to encourage or just stay quiet .I would never jeer or boo players or management.

It is human nature though.When people get angry ,frustrated and disillusioned people want to lay the blame somewhere.It is certainly not confined to football.I try to stay upbeat and not point fingers but after these three seasons it is hard to be optimistic.That said and at the risk I being labelled a happy clapper I either cheer and sing to encourage or just stay quiet .I would never jeer or boo players or management.

The problem is this time it's been 4/5 years of pretty much abject misery, without even the glory of a cup run. When Alan Dicks took over from from Fred Ford 1968ish, yes we had 3/4 years of struggle punctuated with a couple of good cup runs and we had a youth team that was pulling up trees and were salivating at the prospect of Gow, Ritchie and Cashley and others coming through, we had players like Trevor Tainton, Geoff Merrick and Gary Collier and then a few great signings including Clive Whitehead, Gerry Sweeney, Brian Drysdale and Donnie Gillies and you could visibly see the progress on and off of the field and promotion in 1976 was no fluke the momentum had been building over that period.

I just cannot see that happening at the moment, after our reasonable start to the season, how many posters are actually surprised by our rapid fall to almost certainly our rightful position? and who can see where our next win is going to come from? bearing in mind our next 3 games are against teams on a similar run to us (games we traditionally lose and see our opponents kick on).

Peterborough a team without a point from the first 6 games are now embarrassingly above us, Mad Mick will get Ipswich firing again, so who at this moment in time are the 3 teams worse than us this season?, because I am struggling to see who it might be.

When GJ and Millen started to lose the plot, the panic set in and we saw players signed and not played, players regularly played out of position (especially our front men), strange team selections, even more strange substitutions, the stubbornness of playing woefully out of form and much criticised players come what may and worst of all seeing incredibly talented strikers cut incredibly lonely figures plowing a lonely furrow upfront trying to make the best of overhit long balls from our defence because they do not trust our woefully inadequate midfield and then with about 10 minutes to go bringing on all our attacking options from the bench to try to get something out of the game and relying on the fact that there have been 3 teams worse than us, ring any bells.

Let's face facts, historically, most of the clubs that do well in the Championship, and get promotion from it, have a bigger fan base and buy more expensive players than Bristol City FC. Even with all the cash that Steve Lansdown's put into the club we're still very much amongst the paupers of this division and we're treading water just to stay in the Championship as a result. Had Bristol's bigger businesses - historically - put more cash into the club we may have become an established top flight club - but that didn't happen.

Whatever league you play in whether it be the championship or on the downs,the best teams are usually at the top and the worse at the bottom. We've been at the bottom end of our league for quite a while now. Bad luck ? I don't think so !

"Bad luck ? I don't think so !".....

Again historically, cities like Manchester and Liverpool have produced top footballers like on a conveyor belt. In this respect, it's no wonder that those cities have had the top football clubs in the top flight of English football over the past 100+ years. Bristol as a city has produced very few top footballers over the past 120 years. I can only think of 3 top footballers born in Bristol: Billy Wedlock, Eddie Hapgood (played for Arsenal and England during the 30s) and Gary Mabbutt (Spurs and England). It's little wonder that we struggle as a football club when we can't supplement our side with a decent amount of top local players as the Liverpool and Manchester clubs have done over the years.

Archived