IGNORED

Bristol Rugby Club

CardiffBlackLabel

Apologies for starting a thread on it, and I'm sure many of you actively dislike the rugby club, but seeing as they share an owner, you must have an interest...

What the heck has happened to them? I'd say that they are the biggest rugby club in the English Championship, but they are really struggling, and lost 63-7 today!

Are they still planning on playing at Ashton Gate next year? What are Lansdown's plans for them? They get the biggest crowds in their division and I thought with investment they would win the league this year.

Apologies for starting a thread on it, and I'm sure many of you actively dislike the rugby club, but seeing as they share an owner, you must have an interest...

What the heck has happened to them? I'd say that they are the biggest rugby club in the English Championship, but they are really struggling, and lost 63-7 today!

Are they still planning on playing at Ashton Gate next year? What are Lansdown's plans for them? They get the biggest crowds in their division and I thought with investment they would win the league this year.

I'm one of the ones here that actively supports Bristol Rugby Club. You win some you lose some, but to win the Rugby Championship last season and not be promoted was crap. That's twice we've won the Championship and not been promoted due to the lunatic ruling about having to win a play-off cup competition to get promotion.

For some reason Bristol teams rarely do well in Nottingham !

Bristol's tactic this season is apparently to peak for the play off's, after today, if that result isn't a misprint, you have to wonder if they'll make them.

For some reason Bristol teams rarely do well in Nottingham !

Bristol's tactic this season is apparently to peak for the play off's, after today, if that result isn't a misprint, you have to wonder if they'll make them.

Well, we all know we can't get promotion via winning the Championship. :smartass:

They did beat Cardiff a couple of weeks ago though !

So are they still planning on moving to Ashton Gate?

Presumably on the back of a poor season, in a ground way too big for them, with no standing, no club house culture, in a part of the city away from in it's natural support, and where the surrounding towns and villages perhaps lean more towards Bath RFC...doesn't sound like a recipe for success!

Having seen Bristol Rugby at the Memorial Ground a couple of times, at least it's a great day out, a nice atmosphere etc.

So are they still planning on moving to Ashton Gate?

Presumably on the back of a poor season, in a ground way too big for them, with no standing, no club house culture, in a part of the city away from in it's natural support, and where the surrounding towns and villages perhaps lean more towards Bath RFC...doesn't sound like a recipe for success!

Having seen Bristol Rugby at the Memorial Ground a couple of times, at least it's a great day out, a nice atmosphere etc.

Rugby Union is big in the whole of Bristol not just North Bristol. If Bristol Rugby were in the Rugby Premier League and doing well Ashton Gate would be rammed especially against the likes of Bath and Gloucester.

Rugby Union is big in the whole of Bristol not just North Bristol. If Bristol Rugby were in the Rugby Premier League and doing well Ashton Gate would be rammed especially against the likes of Bath and Gloucester.

I don't doubt it, they should be one of the biggest rugby clubs in the UK. I presumed there would be more support for Bristol RFC in the north of the city, as it's just closer to their natural home.

I don't doubt it, they should be one of the biggest rugby clubs in the UK. I presumed there would be more support for Bristol RFC in the north of the city, as it's just closer to their natural home.

The Memorial Ground is their home and the ground was built as a memorial to the Bristolian rugby players that lost their lives fighting during World War 1. A lovely quaint rugby ground tarnished by the unwanted presence of Bristol Rovers - the cuckoos more than the pirates. Indeed, with proper investment Bristol Rugby could indeed be one of Britain's top rugby clubs.

I'm one of the ones here that actively supports Bristol Rugby Club. You win some you lose some, but to win the Rugby Championship last season and not be promoted was crap. That's twice we've won the Championship and not been promoted due to the lunatic ruling about having to win a play-off cup competition to get promotion.

That's the rule that everyone signs up for, like it or not. Someone like SL, should be able to garner enough support and influence to get the rule changed. the reason why it isn't? well, I suspect clubs who have come down from the Premier League and have struggled, will always cling to the lottery of getting into the playoffs where anything can happen. personally, I'd be more concerned at the way Briz have twice got there, been clearly the best side over the course of the season and then let it go. Purely their own fault.

Is there room for both Rugby and football to co exist? absolutely. Football can learn loads from rugby in all aspects, from the family atmosphere where everyone is made to feel welcome through to the discipline side where respect for officials and opposition supporters is expected not hoped for.

If they did come to the Gate could be intrested in a dual season ticket.

If Bristol Rugby did come to Ashton Gate, I hope they bring their terracing, beer stalls and pasty suppliers here as well. That's the major bonus to watching Bristol Rugby at the Memorial ground - you can watch them while standing on terracing while drinking a pint of beer and munching on a quality pasty.

Quite a few citys fans, myself included will not go due to their current ground.

If Bristol Rugby did come to Ashton Gate, I hope they bring their terracing, beer stalls and pasty suppliers here as well. That's the major bonus to watching Bristol Rugby at the Memorial ground - you can watch them while standing on terracing while drinking a pint of beer and munching on a quality pasty.

Must admit they do a delicious pasty. If they did come I wonder if they'd still play the Combination Cup final on the hallowed AG turf, would be great to see Dings, Avonmouth etc at Ashton Gate !

Very true. The catering at the Gate really is the pits, unlike the team, which is merely going through a bad patch.

Poor bloke? Jesus, I think I'll save my sympathy for someone else.

Haha +1 here. Poor bloke my ar5e. Sat in his multi million pound house on guernsey avoiding paying tax and quaffing it up - yeah poor old Steve.

Don't get me wrong, the bloke has made his money from nothing so fair play to him, I'd do the same if I were him. I'm sure he doesn't expect or want sympathy or really care should he get it to be fair.

I do not see why it is crazy etc, they play at a ground owned by our rivals (rightly or wrongly), with their badges etc all across the ground.

When there has been rugby at the gate, i have attended and enjoyed it. While it is still at the mem, i will never go.

Archived