IGNORED

New Mayor Can't Help Us

myol'man

Went to the Bristol mayor debate at Ashton Gate tonight where 14 of the 15 candidates were up on stage (other bloke was ill)

Surprise surprise they all support new Stadium's for City and Rovers, yes even red trousers and the Greens. Some are more interested in a new arena for concerts etc. but no one came out against Ashton Vale.

But the point was made that the legal process will decide the outcome, and whoever the new Mayor is won't have the power to overturn the decision. Marvin Rees thinks he can put pressure on to cut through the red tape, but apart from him and of course Stoney Garnett, they all sat firmly on the fence.

All want better transport etc etc

Highlight of the night went to Stoney. When they were asked about the 'Occupy' sit in on College Green last year, they were all partially supporting the protest blah blah blah......

when it was Stoney's turn he said "they left the place looking like a shithole"

Tell it like it is Stoney!

Stoney has got a chance of getting this i think, he is a down to earth Bristolian and offers something different to most of the other candidates. in my opinion we dont need a mayor associated with a political party as this will offer no change to how the city has been run over previous years. so an independent looks a good prospect. George Ferguson must be fancying his chances with the publicity he has been getting lately. Stoney is an outside bet with Ladbrokes offering odds at 66/1 at the moment, i think he may be underestimated.

The whole idea of a major is a total farce as are these Police Commisioner things.. what a total waste of tax payers cash. What utter garbage of an idea. I bet you the turn out will tell us the same.. be lucky to see a fifth of voters exercising their rights.

Well we did vote for it....

Highlight of the night went to Stoney. When they were asked about the 'Occupy' sit in on College Green last year, they were all partially supporting the protest blah blah blah......

when it was Stoney's turn he said "they left the place looking like a shithole"

Tell it like it is Stoney!

Classic :laugh: . He could be Bristol's Borris

They've not even worked out the salary properly yet. Why do you expect though, this is BCC

thats because they want to hold on to power, the council are so backwards, I much as I dislike fergison he will get things done he has a history of that,

He will get what done though?

The mayor has no power!

no we don;t know what power he will have yet,

It will take some time but the mayor should end up having power like boris does in london as that is the govenments vison, and the govenment will be pushing our council to hurry up and sort things out,

He will get what done though?

The mayor has no power!

I was under the impression the mayor would have a lot of power, enabling projects to be pushed through instead of getting snagged by commitees. I thought that was the whole idea, otherwise we may as well have stuck with our current mayor figurehead setup.

I was under the impression the mayor would have a lot of power, enabling projects to be pushed through instead of getting snagged by commitees. I thought that was the whole idea, otherwise we may as well have stuck with our current mayor figurehead setup.

I think the Mayor will have whatever power he manages to negotiate from central government, there was no indication what-so-ever the actual power a Mayor would have, excpet that he would be able to negotiate his level of power with central government. The idea of a Mayor of Bristol having anythign like the same powers of Boris is unlikely IMO.

Has it even announced what powers the mayor will have?

Mayoral powers haven't been confirmed yet but the new mayor will have access to 100s of millions of £s that wouldn't have been available if we decided against electing a mayor.

Well that is what the Government says anyway.

BCAGFC

if George Ferguson becomes mayor he will be able to use his added power of being a merchant venturer, so forget the council house they can discuss Bristol matters in private at the Clifton club -deeply worried moi

that's because they want to hold on to power, the council are so backwards, I much as I dislike fergison he will get things done he has a history of that,

if George Ferguson becomes mayor he will be able to use his added power of being a merchant venturer, so forget the council house they can discuss Bristol matters in private at the Clifton club -deeply worried moi

If he's already a MV what difference would it make? Anyway it all boils down to what Ross Crail proposes.. simply put her outcome will be rubber stamped by the council regardless of who's in power.

If he's already a MV what difference would it make? Anyway it all boils down to what Ross Crail proposes.. simply put her outcome will be rubber stamped by the council regardless of who's in power.

its brighton all over again it will go to whitehall in the end me thinks tom

OK ,town green matters i agree but i was referring to the bigger picture of the future and decision making of Bristol as a whole

Archived