IGNORED

How Far Away Are We From A Decent Team?

Betelgeuse

In your opinion, how far away are we from a squad of lets say 22 that could achieve a decent mid table finish/challenge the top 10?

My first XI: 2nd XI (Backups)

GK; Heaton GK: Gerken

DR: NEW PLAYER (NP) DR: Foster

DL: Cunningham DL: Bryan

DC: NP DC: J. Wilson

DC: NP DC: Fontaine

MR: Albert MR: Anderson

ML: NP ML: Woolford

DMC: NP DMC: Elliot or Skuse

AMC: NP AMC: Kilkenny??

ST: Baldock ST: Taylor

ST: Davies ST: Stead or Pitman

So IMO we're about half way there for a decent team. With a few more youngsters to add to the backup list I think we're ok there but a lot of work needs to be done to the first eleven.

Just wondering what everyone else's team would look like?

We have 2 decent goalkeepers.

Nyatanga was never and will never be good enough, Carey is over the hill, James Wilson appears not to be the answer, Foster at least tries.

Woolford is not and never was good enough, 2 or 3 good games dosen't cut it, Pearson is hit and miss, Killkenny is not and never was good enough and Albert is in desperate need of help as is our strikers from a fit for purpose midfield.

Yes a million miles would be about right IMO.

In your opinion, how far away are we from a squad of lets say 22 that could achieve a decent mid table finish/challenge the top 10?

So IMO we're about half way there for a decent team. With a few more youngsters to add to the backup list I think we're ok there but a lot of work needs to be done to the first eleven.

That is the trouble, we are severely lacking in the most important areas.

About as far as Estonia's National Team winning the World Cup!

I don't think it's all down to the lack of quality in personnel, our tactics play a big part. For example if us and Brighton were to swap tactics but have the same 11's I am confident we would rise up the table. Brighton play patient football, keep the ball well and always have a game plan.

Heaton, Foster, Wilson, Fontaine, Cunningham, Elliot, Skuse, Morris, Adomah, Anderson, Baldock/Davies in a 4-5-1 would be good enough if we played like Brighton imo.

Our tactics are poor to say the least so whatever players we have we'll always struggle imo.

I don't think it's all down to the lack of quality in personnel, our tactics play a big part. For example if us and Brighton were to swap tactics but have the same 11's I am confident we would rise up the table. Brighton play patient football, keep the ball well and always have a game plan.

Heaton, Foster, Wilson, Fontaine, Cunningham, Elliot, Skuse, Morris, Adomah, Anderson, Baldock/Davies in a 4-5-1 would be good enough if we played like Brighton imo.

Our tactics are poor to say the least so whatever players we have we'll always struggle imo.

What are we basing the fact that Morris and Anderson are good enough to be part of a "decent team", then?, the former has been picked to start (by the manager who signed him) only twice in a third of a season and on one of those occasions only because a team mate was ill before warm up, the latter hasn't even had half of any match (also by the manager who signed him) and was a bit part player at his previous club, too.

We are a long way away from being decent, we have only one centre back up to scratch and he's horribly off form and the central midfield issue is pretty similar and well discussed.

Cardiff is actually 44 miles away so that's the answer, whereas we need 5 more players to be ok and they ain't coming.......

What are we basing the fact that Morris and Anderson are good enough to be part of a "decent team", then?, the former has been picked to start (by the manager who signed him) only twice in a third of a season and on one of those occasions only because a team mate was ill before warm up, the latter hasn't even had half of any match (also by the manager who signed him) and was a bit part player at his previous club, too.

We are a long way away from being decent, we have only one centre back up to scratch and he's horribly off form and the central midfield issue is pretty similar and well discussed.

Cardiff is actually 44 miles away so that's the answer, whereas we need 5 more players to be ok and they ain't coming.......

Maybe Morris has looked poor because he's not suited to the system we play? If he was in a midfield three he possibly would be better. Anderson is our best left winger so he has to play.

We do not need to replace much - 2 CBs (We have known for a while that we needed a mouthy, tough CB to replace Carey - not as if his age was some sort of secret). A decent ball winning CM and a decent CM who can dictate the pace of the game, has some vision and the ability to play the pin point balls to take advantage of it).

So 4 players away, we could probably even cope with just 2 of those positions for now - the rest of the team is not that bad - we just do not have the spine right.

Maybe Morris has looked poor because he's not suited to the system we play? If he was in a midfield three he possibly would be better. Anderson is our best left winger so he has to play.

That is a truly astonishing statement. As Graham has asked, based on what exactly? Please tell me what you've seen of Anderson that suggests he's better than Woolford.

That is a truly astonishing statement. As Graham has asked, based on what exactly? Please tell me what you've seen of Anderson that suggests he's better than Woolford.

it is a truly astonishing statement given that the fans haven't had an opportunity to judge like for like because DMC won't for whatever reason play Anderson, having said that Woolford seems to along with quite a few others reverted to his form of the past 2 seasons.

He's not amazing but he's better than woeful Woolford. Mind you that isn't difficult.

it is a truly astonishing statement given that the fans haven't had an opportunity to judge like for like because DMC won't for whatever reason play Anderson, having said that Woolford seems to along with quite a few others reverted to his form of the past 2 seasons.

It's strange that Anderson has frequented the pitch so little considering he was McInnes signing but what we have seen hasn't been great. He scored a goal which was very much right place at the right time, not that I'm criticising that, he stayed alert and it was a composed finish. However we're yet to have seen anything from him hat suggests he is the answer. Just because he hasn't been playing and we've been losing that doesn't suddenly make him a "must start" and it certainly offers no logic that he will be anything better than what we have, especially considering McInnes clearly doesn't feel he is worthy of my action despite our woeful performances of late.

As for Woolford, yes his form has dipped, but it is worth remembering he was a key player, perhaps the best player, in our two good performances against Palace and Cardiff. He has no doubt suffered from the lack of Cunnigham as they had started to form a nice partnership down the left and had a real understanding of one another. Getting Woolford back to his best is a more pressing concern than the inclusion of Anderson in my book. When we've played well Woolford has excelled, coincidence? I think it unlikely.

It's strange that Anderson has frequented the pitch so little considering he was McInnes signing but what we have seen hasn't been great. He scored a goal which was very much right place at the right time, not that I'm criticising that, he stayed alert and it was a composed finish. However we're yet to have seen anything from him hat suggests he is the answer. Just because he hasn't been playing and we've been losing that doesn't suddenly make him a "must start" and it certainly offers no logic that he will be anything better than what we have, especially considering McInnes clearly doesn't feel he is worthy of my action despite our woeful performances of late.

As for Woolford, yes his form has dipped, but it is worth remembering he was a key player, perhaps the best player, in our two good performances against Palace and Cardiff. He has no doubt suffered from the lack of Cunnigham as they had started to form a nice partnership down the left and had a real understanding of one another. Getting Woolford back to his best is a more pressing concern than the inclusion of Anderson in my book. When we've played well Woolford has excelled, coincidence? I think it unlikely.

i'm sorry Phil 2 good games does not a swallow make (or something like that) I understand what you say about confidence but if his confidence is easily shattered perhaps he is playing at too high a level.

You are reading far too much into what I have said about Anderson, but surely playing a player who lacks confidence week in week out is also not good, my point is I find it very difficult to understand how anyone can have an opinion one way or the other about Anderson, his pitch time has not been enough for anyone to have an opinion. if DMC has made a mistake he needs to man up and admit it and ship him out or give him a fair crack of the whip, which is something that Woolford has been afforded throughout his career at BCFC and our reward is a handful of good performances.

Wasn't it only a couple of months ago that the general consensus here saying we were 2 players short (a creative midfielder and a right footed CB) of a good team in a position to challenge for a midtable to top half finish? Now we are a million miles away all of a sudden. Talk about fickle :bored:

How is that fickle?, the momentum we had at the start of the season was lost by the failure to sign at least one centre back quickly enough when the warning signs were there and confounded by the failure to sign at least one central midfield player, that failure has caused the run of bad results causing the loss of confidence proving that some in this squad are not up to it.

Archived