IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle

nebristolred

For tonights game against Burton Albion, students at the university can get in for £3, + they get a free pint at the ground. They gave a big block behind one of the goals to the students and it's completely sold out. Great value and a great opportunity.

Given we have 2 big universities in Bristol, this might be something worth considering. Great way to potentially expand the fanbase (ideally when we're playing better admittedly).

For tonights game against Burton Albion, students at the university can get in for £3, + they get a free pint at the ground. They gave a big block behind one of the goals to the students and it's completely sold out. Great value and a great opportunity.

Given we have 2 big universities in Bristol, this might be something worth considering. Great way to potentially expand the fanbase (ideally when we're playing better admittedly).

Its a good system to increase income, and other clubs are trying out similar deals; we should give it a go, but I reckon the board would point out that, as a club, our season tickets are the cheapest available in the npC (we can offer the cheapest deal for a season ticket anyway) though I don't really see that as much of an argument, they might...

Good on

Plymouth Argyle. It amazes me how poor so many clubs are at engaging with students in their cities.

Bristol has, what, 40,000 students? At least a third will have some interest in football and if it’s priced and marketed right then they will come, and whats more they may come back several more times afterwards.

Cities like Bristol and Cardiff have a lot of students, but crucially many of them stay on. In my office, I’d say at least a third are people who came to Cardiff for uni and stayed here. Many have never watched a Cardiff game, and if they had perhaps they would be supporters now, and their children when they have them too.

Personally, if it were me, I’d have a game every semester (ie, 2 games a year) that is £5 entry, including a pint. Give the student unions a batch of tickets to sell as well..so much could be done.

It does take vision, but consider this: The Welsh varsity rugby game has gone from sub-1000 crowds to crowds of 15,000 and being broadcast on TV, and it’s mental..they all dress up and stand all game..it’s like a US college football game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Varsity

I know it’s not the best example, but I just use it to demonstrate that students can and will support sporting events if it’s marketed correctly, and in the current climate clubs are foolish to overlook them.

Archived