IGNORED

University Of Bristol, 18,000 People, Get Them Down The Gate!

Uncle Albert

The negative responses about students are brilliant :D. You know the common stereotype is absolute crap don't you?

As the guy above said, students are one of a number of groups that should be targeted. They are absolutely ideal in that they are as young as you can get while still being able to make your own decisions. Many kids can't/won't go due to the fact there needs to be interest from the parents. If there was no benefits in getting students in then why are so many other clubs doing it? If it can be effective for them then it can be much more effective for us, given the amount of students we have in Bristol. If you manage to swing students' support towards Bristol City then you have a fan for years and years, it's a good opportunity.

So you're basing your argument on one student who didn't return to your skittles game? Also, how can you, for one minute, assert that "students will only do things on a free when they can"? Whilst there is no question that students really do love a bargain, do not think for one minute that all students do are things on a "free". Utterly ridiculous to suggest that you've only got to look at 'Scoliver92's post above to be shown that what you have said is incorrect.

This post doesn't even warrant a response, really. I can only question how naive, arrogant and rude this post was meant to be; because it sure to hell comes across that way. Just out of interest, were you ever a student or did you just go straight from nursery to employment?

You seem to be missing the point completely. As I, and the majority of people have suggested, why not target students AS ONE OF MANY GROUPS. Yes there are other groups to target but why not try students as well. And, on another side note, 18,000 Bristol students, 30,000 UWE students and two universities in Bath constitutes a pretty large group to me...

Ok Ollie , let's cut to the chase. How much would you be prepared to pay to get into Ashton Gate to watch a game ??

Ok Ollie , let's cut to the chase. How much would you be prepared to pay to get into Ashton Gate to watch a game ??

I'm a season ticket holder so nothing! :banana: .

However, as bcfcgilts says, two tickets for £15 doesn't sound unreasonable - £7.50 each sounds a good offer. Even something like Plymouth's offer, £8 per ticket and a pint I think may work. Offer the kids from schools, £7.50 and free hot drink, chocolate bar, programme or something. The possibilities for pricing strategies are endless; 'the chase' wasn't really about the price I'd be willing to pay. I'm sure there are boffins at the club that would work out a pricing strategy. A little bit of market research into how much students would be willing to pay would go amiss.

£7.50 each ? , how about £8.65 , would you pay that ?

I pay £7.40 odd for every game i think my season ticket works out, so no i wouldn't? If city did the two for £15 instead of one for £7.50 it would probably get more people in, say do this 5-10 games a season where we'd expect a low turnout and get more seats filled

Good for you. I assume you go even though there are no discounts or extra incentives for students , because you are a fan of the club. ??

The OP has openly admitted he's a 'City Fan' , had this post been started by a student who had no ties to the club , I would probably look at it differently.

That's right mate. Would much rather sacrifice a night on the piss so I can watch City!

Ollie, I am only 24 and I was a student from 18 till 21 and to be honest I loved everything on a free, my parents helped me out non stop from car insurance to petrol etc and once I got a full time job everything changed. I only ever went to a city game If my dad offered to pay. Why go down the city ground when you can go to bars or pu s selling cheap student price alcohol? Even a part time job wasn't enough money to buy a student ticket.

I'm a season ticket holder so nothing! :banana: .

However, as bcfcgilts says, two tickets for £15 doesn't sound unreasonable - £7.50 each sounds a good offer. Even something like Plymouth's offer, £8 per ticket and a pint I think may work. Offer the kids from schools, £7.50 and free hot drink, chocolate bar, programme or something. The possibilities for pricing strategies are endless; 'the chase' wasn't really about the price I'd be willing to pay. I'm sure there are boffins at the club that would work out a pricing strategy. A little bit of market research into how much students would be willing to pay would go amiss.

I'd let the kids from schools in for £1 or even free of charge an

An U-21 year old can but a season ticket in the Wedlock stand for £169 or £7.35 per game. Even with the additional £30 to finanace paying over 10 months only works out at £8.65 per game.

I would imagine most students , if they are interested in watching City , have the wherewithal to afford those prices.

I go to university in Birmingham and Villa have £10 student tickets every home game (sometimes cheaper in Captial One Cup). I know Man City offer a similar thing for Manchester students. I have been to a few myself and know quite a few people who go regularly. Given that these 2 are Prem teams I don't think that £10 for a ticket and free pint with student card shown on the day would be a bad idea from our point of view. Getting 500 odd students each home game used to the atmosphere and knowing a few of the songs cant be bad for the noise levels given that many will start drinking before the game in preparation for Saturday night.

I'd let the kids from schools in for £1 or even free of charge an

An U-21 year old can but a season ticket in the Wedlock stand for £169 or £7.35 per game. Even with the additional £30 to finanace paying over 10 months only works out at £8.65 per game.

I would imagine most students , if they are interested in watching City , have the wherewithal to afford those prices.

That is of course assuming they want to go every game. Baring in mind they will not be here for Christmas, Easter, or the first few games of the season and no one is going to do that unless they're a City fan. Some will quite fancy a few games though, a £10-15 offer would entice a fair few if promoted properly. Like others have said on the low attendance games (although that's pretty much every game these days) there is no harm in offering £10 student/U18 tickets.

Think all the people slating students are missing the point here. Who gives a toss if they don't return once they leave Uni? It's about filling the stadium and earning much needed revenue for the club. Get the feeling there are those that don't like the thought of paying more than others to watch the same game, which is fair enough, but when there's a crowd of 10,000-it's like being in a flipping morgue. Armed forces, kids and students should be directly targeted much more effectively than they already are. Maybe someone with more of a business mind can explain why it's deemed better to have fewer in the stadium paying more, opposed to more paying less?

Many kids can't/won't go due to the fact there needs to be interest from the parents.

Where did this having to go with a parent come from?

The whole point of my previous post on this thread was for BCFC to create a situation where groups of young friends (U.16's) could meet up with each other outside AG, queue up at the turnstiles and go to the match together. No parents involved, a 500 seat section of the ground reserved for pay on the day local youngsters at £3 per head, first come first served.

And if it's sold out by 2.30, great, get there earlier next time, and really look forward to getting in the ground with your pals to support the City with 500 like minded youngsters of about your own age.

By the way, my Dad was never a City fan - me and my pals found AG for ourselves and the fact we were away from our parents and could let ourselves go a bit was one of the attractions.

Whilst the UWE might be worth a try,Bistol uni is one of the most posh universities in the country,more likely to be rugger buggers than footie fans.

Dear god. Yes, there are a large number of posh rahs (rich assssssholes) at the university, in fact, it has the highest number of Oxford and Cambridge rejects in the country, that does not mean that they are rugger buggers at all.

There are 18,000 students at the university, get a grip. Not everyone of them is posh, and even if they are posh, why does that mean they cannot be/are not football fans.

What you have done is looked at the minority, and for the sake of your weak argument, turned them into the majority. Do not make such stupid, sweeping statements. Instead of insulting people at the university for who they are, why not try and look at it like most other people and see that actually, it is the reason I have proposed the idea is for the benefit of the club. Whether it works or not, remains to be seen.

I used to go down with a group of 10 ST holders, 5 were from other cities and had stayed after going to uni here. Of course a lot of students go back permanently to where they came from but to say everyone does is just plain wrong.

At Bath uni we had stand from the rugby team up there today in the middle of the campus promoting tickets for a tenner to their game at the weekend, same as we have had stands from Bath City FC in the middle of campus promoting the club.

Agree completely with everyone saying about promoting/free tickets for school too, it should be done.

Sadly, very few students are interested in either football team. And the ones that are will migrate towards the gas because they are more ideally situated to watch games. After all the Mem is in the heart of cheap student housing (Glos Rd, Downend Rd, Filton Ave) and also has excellent bus connections on the Wessex Routes (bus passes given out to first year students).

Dear god. Yes, there are a large number of posh rahs (rich assssssholes) at the university, in fact, it has the highest number of Oxford and Cambridge rejects in the country, that does not mean that they are rugger buggers at all.

There are 18,000 students at the university, get a grip. Not everyone of them is posh, and even if they are posh, why does that mean they cannot be/are not football fans.

What you have done is looked at the minority, and for the sake of your weak argument, turned them into the majority. Do not make such stupid, sweeping statements. Instead of insulting people at the university for who they are, why not try and look at it like most other people and see that actually, it is the reason I have proposed the idea is for the benefit of the club. Whether it works or not, remains to be seen.

Strange then that whilst out in town on a weekend I come accross hundreds of plummy voiced students and if they are interested in football I'm a china man,as for stupid well I'm sorry I didn't go to uni like you , you are obviously superior to me in every way, I have my opinion and you have yours,you really should stop talking down to people.Also where did I insult anybody,I said they were more likely to be rugger buggers not that they were,and since when has calling some one posh been an insult.

It seems that every non-student here thinks it's a bad idea, whilst every student thinks it's good. And if the offer is being aimed at students...I'll let you work it out.

Look at it the other way. I'm not at uni, but I intend to go once I finish school. I was in Sheffield, and in their students union they had representatives from Wednesday and United. I initially wasn't interested, but when I asked about student prices they told me £3. Now I'm very interested. Obviously I'm a city fan, but the idea of adopting a second team is appealing at that price. I understand where others are coming from when they say 3 years etc. but what's the harm? There is absolutely no harm. Unless, of course, you have some bizarre mistrust and distaste for students. Also, a few hundred students each game won't exactly be 'stealing' schoolchildren's seats will they? Let's face it, we've got a spare few thousand.

Sadly, very few students are interested in either football team. And the ones that are will migrate towards the gas because they are more ideally situated to watch games. After all the Mem is in the heart of cheap student housing (Glos Rd, Downend Rd, Filton Ave) and also has excellent bus connections on the Wessex Routes (bus passes given out to first year students).

How on earth would you know this?

Strange then that whilst out in town on a weekend I come accross hundreds of plummy voiced students and if they are interested in football I'm a china man,as for stupid well I'm sorry I didn't go to uni like you , you are obviously superior to me in every way, I have my opinion and you have yours,you really should stop talking down to people.Also where did I insult anybody,I said they were more likely to be rugger buggers not that they were,and since when has calling some one posh been an insult.

Mate, are you sure this isn't in your head? People seem jealous of students for some odd reason, and as such seem to categorise them in the ridiculous group of being stuck up, not interested in football and generally horrible. I'm a student, and I'm not loaded whatsoever. 2 of the people in my student house were raised by single Mums ffs. Once you see past the general (inaccurate) stereotype, it's actually a very good idea, for both students and schoolkids alike.

It seems that every non-student here thinks it's a bad idea, whilst every student thinks it's good. And if the offer is being aimed at students...I'll let you work it out.

Look at it the other way. I'm not at uni, but I intend to go once I finish school. I was in Sheffield, and in their students union they had representatives from Wednesday and United. I initially wasn't interested, but when I asked about student prices they told me £3. Now I'm very interested. Obviously I'm a city fan, but the idea of adopting a second team is appealing at that price. I understand where others are coming from when they say 3 years etc. but what's the harm? There is absolutely no harm. Unless, of course, you have some bizarre mistrust and distaste for students. Also, a few hundred students each game won't exactly be 'stealing' schoolchildren's seats will they? Let's face it, we've got a spare few thousand.

I don't get the point of why they feel they should be a special case and why they feel they should be discounted very heavily. There are enough real Bristol City fans that cannot afford to go because of the price, there are literally thousands already on the database that if offered a ticket for £7 would go and probably go every week. These fans will have been regulars in the past and are far more deserving of that student discount, why not get behind that idea instead eh?

Students for years were offered incredible deals by Bristol City but never took the clubs offer in any significant quantity, so much so, that the club thought it was a waste of their time continuing with the deals and scrapped them.

Get behind the future of the club, offering schoolchildren free tickets and fans that have years of memories watching their club but no longer attend, perhaps the club will start phoning these people and giving them first pick of the heavily discounted tickets.

As PlymouthCity has pointed out to you above, I am not suggesting for one second that I am "superior to you in every way" nor am I talking down to you, so I apologise if it comes across that way. I have no right to look down on anybody - my family aren't particularly well off, none of my family have ever gone to university and nor am I suggesting that because you didn't go to uni, you are stupid. What does make you look stupid is by saying that I have implied that.

Ok, calling someone posh may not be an insult but again, as PlymouthCity pointed out, you are stereotyping the minority of students, into the majority. But you're completely right, you have your opinion of students, we have ours. No point in getting into an argument of something so petty and completely off topic.

Lets get back on topic and find a way to give City a kick up the backside..

Students can **** off.

I can think of far more worthy and bigger groups to target.

http://www.finzelsreachblog.com/students-stay-in-bristol/

It's a potential revenus stream, high % of students stay on post graduation here. Get a certain %, then potentially if they enjoy the experience friends, word of mouth, family, eventually down the line kids. Our fanbase as it stands surely isn't enough to sustain Championship football in the medium to long term.

How on earth would you know this?

I'm at Uwe. Tried to persuade my friends and peers to see games last season and also tried to spread the word throughout the Uwe football teams. Very little interest, when you can go the Students Union or The Anchor and for the same price as watching City/ Rovers lose, watch top flight football and get bladdered.

If any student has an interest in football They will already have a team they support

Unless that team is City you wont get them down to the gate!!

You have no chance of getting a Glory hunting Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool arm chair fan down to the gate Simple

If you want to give away cheap tickets give them to the local school kids

I don't get the point of why they feel they should be a special case and why they feel they should be discounted very heavily. There are enough real Bristol City fans that cannot afford to go because of the price, there are literally thousands already on the database that if offered a ticket for £7 would go and probably go every week. These fans will have been regulars in the past and are far more deserving of that student discount, why not get behind that idea instead eh?

Students for years were offered incredible deals by Bristol City but never took the clubs offer in any significant quantity, so much so, that the club thought it was a waste of their time continuing with the deals and scrapped them.

Get behind the future of the club, offering schoolchildren free tickets and fans that have years of memories watching their club but no longer attend, perhaps the club will start phoning these people and giving them first pick of the heavily discounted tickets.

This isn't students claiming they should get cheaper entry. This is just a suggestion saying that it might be beneficial to the club. Admittedly I'm a student, but I don't complain about needing cheaper entry, I've been a season ticket holder since I was 11 ****il I joined uni, bit difficult living 100 miles away!). Most companies offer a student discount, it's not through students deserving it more. It's an initiative in order to get students on board earlier, as they are likely to earn more later on in their lives and as such potentially put more money into the company that they have built a positive relationship with. Banks are a great example of it, they help so much with student accounts.

I'm totally behind the idea of getting everyone in for £7. Problem is, it won't happen. The student idea could well happen, seeing as loads of other clubs are recognising the benefits of it and acting accordingly.

Okay, I get your point. Students don't deserve discounted tickets more than anyone else, but, at the end of the day, our football club is a business (whether we want it to be is another argument) and it needs to compete. To take an example, national heritage or national trust sites have student priced tickets. Pubs/clubs have offers. Students can get discounts on clothes. The theatre, the cinema etc. There are plenty of other things in Bristol for students to spend money on. With city losing 12 million a year we need their money and we need to convince them to spend it at Ashton Gate. And seeming as city have trouble making season ticket holders attend student prices need to be pretty damn cheap.

And I totally agree with your point about older fans. But the logistics of that would be difficult i imagine. I think that's a discussion to be had with ticket prices in general.

Edit: Ha, seems plymouthcity and I are thinking along the same lines!

Archived