IGNORED

Plea For Sunday

Tom Fleuriot

With the latest poll showing 85% backing for McInnes, I want to make a personal plea to all fans for Sunday.

Ideally I'd say to get behind the team for a month, but I know people would argue with that. So I'm asking people to do it until the final whistle blows. No matter how bad we play, no matter how much you disagree with the substitutions, no matter whether we've conceded or are having trouble with possession. Keep cheering, sing songs, roar the team on. Once the final whistle blows, boo like crazy if you want. But not before.

"I pay my money" is an obvious riposte to this. But I would ask what you're paying your money for. The best home matches last season, to my mind, were Coventry and West Ham. Why? Because the fans got behind the team from the start and even when it got hairy kept on singing.

I pay my money every week not to see CIty win, but to enjoy the feeling of having 10,000 people wanting the same thing as me. I love hearing new, funny chants (although they don't come along often, I'm loving Thatcher's Gold song). I love it when there's a wall of people belting out the classic tunes. I want them to win, but the primary purpose of me going is to support the team and have a laugh doing so, not to see them win.

I come down from London to go the games. It takes out a whole day and costs me money I can't really afford. I was thinking of not bothering this week because I haven't enjoyed matchdays (with about five notable exceptions) for a few years now. The reason I don't enjoy them isn't the football (although under Millen the football was dire), it's the atmosphere. I'm not getting what I want from a match, which is a cracking laugh for a couple of hours.

So, right now, we know that around 85% of fans want McInnes to stay at present. Can we please not just respect that for one match, but actively roar the team on this Sunday. Whinge like hell afterwards, fine. But just ensure that no matter the result we can say that we tried, and that we had a great time trying.

With the latest poll showing 85% backing for McInnes, I want to make a personal plea to all fans for Sunday.

Ideally I'd say to get behind the team for a month, but I know people would argue with that. So I'm asking people to do it until the final whistle blows. No matter how bad we play, no matter how much you disagree with the substitutions, no matter whether we've conceded or are having trouble with possession. Keep cheering, sing songs, roar the team on. Once the final whistle blows, boo like crazy if you want. But not before.

"I pay my money" is an obvious riposte to this. But I would ask what you're paying your money for. The best home matches last season, to my mind, were Coventry and West Ham. Why? Because the fans got behind the team from the start and even when it got hairy kept on singing.

I pay my money every week not to see CIty win, but to enjoy the feeling of having 10,000 people wanting the same thing as me. I love hearing new, funny chants (although they don't come along often, I'm loving Thatcher's Gold song). I love it when there's a wall of people belting out the classic tunes. I want them to win, but the primary purpose of me going is to support the team and have a laugh doing so, not to see them win.

I come down from London to go the games. It takes out a whole day and costs me money I can't really afford. I was thinking of not bothering this week because I haven't enjoyed matchdays (with about five notable exceptions) for a few years now. The reason I don't enjoy them isn't the football (although under Millen the football was dire), it's the atmosphere. I'm not getting what I want from a match, which is a cracking laugh for a couple of hours.

So, right now, we know that around 85% of fans want McInnes to stay at present. Can we please not just respect that for one match, but actively roar the team on this Sunday. Whinge like hell afterwards, fine. But just ensure that no matter the result we can say that we tried, and that we had a great time trying.

:clap: Amen!

Totally agreed Tom... Great Post!

85% of OTIB users want Del to stay (me included)!

I have a few questions, at recent home games have their been any anti DMC protests?, any anti DMC chants? or just the odd display of discontent of our present predicament, at poor performances, strange line ups or baffling substitutions, which given our past 4/5 years isn't entirely surprising really, he still has the support I am sure he knows that as I am sure he will know when the contrary happens.

I love your enthusiasm but when the team play with absolutely no passion, fight or guts - it's very hard to get up for it.

Those on the field need to show they care. Until then, we will continue our free fall to L1 and the gate will continue to be very quiet.

Before the happy clappers slate me, i have done nearly 700 miles following city in the last 7 days!!

I love your enthusiasm but when the team play with absolutely no passion, fight or guts - it's very hard to get up for it.

Those on the field need to show they care. Until then, we will continue our free fall to L1 and the gate will continue to be very quiet.

Before the happy clappers slate me, i have done nearly 700 miles following city in the last 7 days!!

Unless you walked the 700 miles, then it's not all that impressive to be honest. But well done anyway.

I have a few questions, at recent home games have their been any anti DMC protests?, any anti DMC chants? or just the odd display of discontent of our present predicament, at poor performances, strange line ups or baffling substitutions, which given our past 4/5 years isn't entirely surprising really, he still has the support I am sure he knows that as I am sure he will know when the contrary happens.

No, there have not been chants or protests against it. And I agree it's not surprising that people are demoralised - a couple of years back under Millen I'd turn up to watch 88 minutes of awful football, followed by a CIty goal, followed by an opposition goal.

But my point is not about chants or protests. There are a few groans, and there have been a surprising amount of boos. Most importantly, there's very little singing unless we're a goal up. I find it farcical that we still sing "we always believe" once we're winning - isn't that the opposite of the song's meaning? We should be singing it when we're a goal down, whereas instead everyone seems to give up and stop believing really bloody quickly. Which brings me to...

I agree that it's hard to get up for it (and would stress that neither this nor my original post are slating anybody). And it's easier when you have players looking fired up, which doesn't happen often nowadays.

But ultimately I'm saying it's only for two hours a fortnight that we have to get up for it, and the Coventry match last season proved for me that a positive and loud crowd has a real effect on getting the players fired up. Maybe start off pretending, get drunk enough, sing for the first ten minutes, and it might be a good laugh irrespective of the performance.

Even if the players are looking awful, why should that stop people from having fun? Screw the players; they're just here until their contracts are up. I want to have fun at City and I'll be there forever.

It's rare for this type of support not to happen in the Eastend. It's a shame that the other stands rarely get stuck in too. Coventry, West Ham and Leicester last season the other 3 contributed...take a look at those 3 results.

Understandable rallying call but the Eastend is relentless in support every single game. Lets hope for some noise from the other free and not groans and moans.

But ultimately I'm saying it's only for two hours a fortnight that we have to get up for it, and the Coventry match last season proved for me that a positive and loud crowd has a real effect on getting the players fired up. Maybe start off pretending, get drunk enough, sing for the first ten minutes, and it might be a good laugh irrespective of the performance.

I agree with your original post

Treat it as devils advocate but just a few points to make:

It may only be for two hours a fotnight for some fans, I haven't missed a game since Peterboro' away and had only missed Cardiff at home before that, it's alot more than 2 hours a week. I travel down to home games from Birmingham and back City to the hilt, following them up and down the country, it takes at least 3 hours to get too and from most grounds in total. When I get to a game (following this avid preparation, getting the lucky socks washed etc.), and the XI don't show up it's ******* deflating to say the least.

I'l be driving on Sunday, as will many others (I guess) and therfore unable to drink, however, depending on the turnout, it could be an exciting ride home! Drink isn't everyone's cup of tea - however I wont benifit from the effect of not having the sharpest of minds when it comes to being aware of what's around me!

Having travelled up to Huddersfield where atmosphere was minimal, it was freezing cold and, being Championship football, not a cheap day out, I thoroughly enjoyed 'pretending' at Birmingham but let's face it, if the players could hear what we were singing, I wouldn't expect them to be inspired - as much as Thatchers probably contributed to the best performance of the night!

And finally, I sit in the atyeo, in amongst friends, I would love to start signing from the first minute and not finish till the last but I feel, even with a couple of others we would look like prize 'alan dicks' Over the quiet side.

Having said all that, I am ready, if the atmosphere lends itself but that involves the whole crowd - or at least 85% of it saying I am ready and standing up for their team - or at least shouting out for them.

I don't quite know what I am going to do about it but like I said, I am ready

No, there have not been chants or protests against it. And I agree it's not surprising that people are demoralised - a couple of years back under Millen I'd turn up to watch 88 minutes of awful football, followed by a CIty goal, followed by an opposition goal.

But my point is not about chants or protests. There are a few groans, and there have been a surprising amount of boos. Most importantly, there's very little singing unless we're a goal up. I find it farcical that we still sing "we always believe" once we're winning - isn't that the opposite of the song's meaning? We should be singing it when we're a goal down, whereas instead everyone seems to give up and stop believing really bloody quickly. Which brings me to...

I agree that it's hard to get up for it (and would stress that neither this nor my original post are slating anybody). And it's easier when you have players looking fired up, which doesn't happen often nowadays.

Even if the players are looking awful, why should that stop people from having fun? Screw the players; they're just here until their contracts are up. I want to have fun at City and I'll be there forever.

Sensible reply Tom, thank you.

Lets hope the team that comes out on Sunday is more fired up than the one that turned up at Huddersfield and Brum and we can turn this miserable run around. It just needs one win and the confidence will start to come back!

COYR!

I agree with your original post

Treat it as devils advocate but just a few points to make:

It may only be for two hours a fotnight for some fans, I haven't missed a game since Peterboro' away and had only missed Cardiff at home before that, it's alot more than 2 hours a week. I travel down to home games from Birmingham and back City to the hilt, following them up and down the country, it takes at least 3 hours to get too and from most grounds in total. When I get to a game (following this avid preparation, getting the lucky socks washed etc.), and the XI don't show up it's ******* deflating to say the least.

I'l be driving on Sunday, as will many others (I guess) and therfore unable to drink, however, depending on the turnout, it could be an exciting ride home! Drink isn't everyone's cup of tea - however I wont benifit from the effect of not having the sharpest of minds when it comes to being aware of what's around me!

Having travelled up to Huddersfield where atmosphere was minimal, it was freezing cold and, being Championship football, not a cheap day out, I thoroughly enjoyed 'pretending' at Birmingham but let's face it, if the players could hear what we were singing, I wouldn't expect them to be inspired - as much as Thatchers probably contributed to the best performance of the night!

And finally, I sit in the atyeo, in amongst friends, I would love to start signing from the first minute and not finish till the last but I feel, even with a couple of others we would look like prize 'alan dicks' Over the quiet side.

Having said all that, I am ready, if the atmosphere lends itself but that involves the whole crowd - or at least 85% of it saying I am ready and standing up for their team - or at least shouting out for them.

I don't quite know what I am going to do about it but like I said, I am ready

These are all good points mate - I often find myself halfway through a chant only to realise nobody else is saying anything. And it can be seriously deflating. It's why people shouldn't be given grief.

Let's see what happens Sunday anyway. COYR!

These are all good points mate - I often find myself halfway through a chant only to realise nobody else is saying anything. And it can be seriously deflating. It's why people shouldn't be given grief.

- and I've got a stupid accent toboot!

Definitley with you on this one, as much as my post may say other wise!

COYR

This happens to me all the time. I brush it off at least we're trying :laugh:

Archived