IGNORED

Why Do You Want Del To Stay

TRL

I posted this in another thread, but thought it might be interesting in it's own thread.

Many people say the like Del and want him to stay.

Why do you want Del to stay? Is it because he is a nice bloke, a bit like Ward, or is it that you like his tactics and football?

I see lots of people saying they like Del, and give him time. I am just wondering what it is they like about him

I like Del as a person, he has seemed quite approachable and honest, if a bit over protective of his bunch of players, I have not been impressed with his managerial nous or tactical nous.

I would love to know peoples reasons for keeping him. I cannot see much from a footballing point of view. Not looking at it from a money and FFP point of view, what has Del bought to the club that has improved it on the pitch?

I was all for bringing Del to the cub, thinking his winning mentality would rub off, I think I may have got that idea wrong

Anyway, I am not interested in he is sh1te get him out or he needs time kind of answer, just what he has bought to this club at this current time that you like.

Whoever comes in would want time. Even if we got Harry Redknapp he would want time. if he said he would come and want a three year contract would you be ok with that? What would happen then if we still got relegated this year? Would you then be asking for his head? We've got Del and we have to give him at least this full season to get his team and tactics together. Its not great right now but we were top in August so there'e no reason why we can't turn it round again. Get off the blokes back and let him get on with it and lets get behind him. Just as a matter of interest TRL, who do you want to take over?

Positives for me:

- Defends his players and remains positive, doesn't seem to be panicing despite our terrible run

- Does seem to know the most important parts of the team that need strengthening

- Has taken action in appointing new coaches involved with the first team, and youth teams, again has successfully realised there were problems in those areas

- Has signed some good players, particularly in attack

- Has agreed to work within a budget and attempt to lower the wage bill which was spiralling out of control under previous managers

- Generally talks a good game in pre and post match interviews

The negatives outweigh the positives for me at the moment. I could come up with a list as long as that for the negatives and I'm sure some will disagree with the above...but I feel the above is a fair assessment IMO.

Del seems genuine, millen seemed genuine but millen was always tarnished by the latter part of the johnson era.

Coppel was a false dawn that really raised our expectaions about who we could attract and then it was prooved to be too good to be true!

We want del to succeed because he seems like a decent chap! and we're scared of change! bless our little bristolian hearts!

Whoever comes in would want time. Even if we got Harry Redknapp he would want time. if he said he would come and want a three year contract would you be ok with that? What would happen then if we still got relegated this year? Would you then be asking for his head? We've got Del and we have to give him at least this full season to get his team and tactics together. Its not great right now but we were top in August so there'e no reason why we can't turn it round again. Get off the blokes back and let him get on with it and lets get behind him. Just as a matter of interest TRL, who do you want to take over?

I have said many times, keep him, we cannot afford to change, especially as the entire backroom staff are his. I have derided his decisions, but I see no point in getting rid, even if he takes us down. I just hope he comes good, and is not living off Owen Coyles good work.

But that wasn't what i was asking. What is it you like about him. I have not seen anything about him so far which leads me to believe he is a good coach that people believe him to be.

I have said many times, keep him, we cannot afford to change, especially as the entire backroom staff are his. I have derided his decisions, but I see no point in getting rid, even if he takes us down. I just hope he comes good, and is not living off Owen Coyles good work.

But that wasn't what i was asking. What is it you like about him. I have not seen anything about him so far which leads me to believe he is a good coach that people believe him to be.

I enjoyed the way he got us playing at the tail end of last season and the at the start of this one. That shows what he can do. Thats good enough for me if he can do it consistantly. The injuries this year have affected us and unsettled us and some of his selections have been weird I agree. I have met with him and he seems to know where he wants us to go and how he wants us to play. At the moment its damage limitation time but I think he can turn it round. We still have 31 games left to get us out of trouble. Too early for desparate measures yet.

I enjoyed the way he got us playing at the tail end of last season and the at the start of this one. That shows what he can do. Thats good enough for me if he can do it consistantly. The injuries this year have affected us and unsettled us and some of his selections have been weird I agree. I have met with him and he seems to know where he wants us to go and how he wants us to play. At the moment its damage limitation time but I think he can turn it round. We still have 31 games left to get us out of trouble. Too early for desparate measures yet.

I thought the same at the time. But the turning point was Bikey joining, there he lucked out, if we had been stuck with his first choice, McManus, I'm not so sure we would have stayed up.. He lucked out. maybe he is a lucky coach? I would be happy to accept that.

What I like about Del is rather than just come in and make changes to the 1st team, he seems to be looking to the future and rebuilding the club right from the bottom up. I can't really remember that happening since the Alan Dicks era and for that reason I want to see him have more time, as these things don't happen overnight.

He seems to have a decent eye for players and although results say otherwise at present, I still think apart from a couple of exceptions, the players he's brought in are an improvement on the ones they replaced.

Confidence is clearly rock bottom atm, but if we can start picking up some points soon, things won't look anywhere as bleak as they do right know.

I want him to remain at the helm because if previous experiences are anything to go by we would be 'lumbered' with The Doc; no disrespect to the man but we know even less about him than we did The Del.

There were some good options a few weeks back when there was no vacancy, anyway. as there is not now... those 'options' come and go in a flash. McCarthy springs to mind for example.

Del is working from the ground up as many have said, he has had some rotten luck with injuries, to put it mildly, but he just has to keep plugging away at getting those right players in we ALL know are still needed. Do that and it will turn; if the creative midfielder and two decent CB's are not brought it It will be a long season.

we were top in august haha get real that mean nothing atall

I want him to remain at the helm because if previous experiences are anything to go by we would be 'lumbered' with The Doc; no disrespect to the man but we know even less about him than we did The Del.

There were some good options a few weeks back when there was no vacancy, anyway. as there is not now... those 'options' come and go in a flash. McCarthy springs to mind for example.

Del is working from the ground up as many have said, he has had some rotten luck with injuries, to put it mildly, but he just has to keep plugging away at getting those right players in we ALL know are still needed. Do that and it will turn; if the creative midfielder and two decent CB's are not brought it It will be a long season.

I don't think Doc would stay if Del went.

I am seeing lots of things such as the division is harder. Jokey things like he is better than xyz. Or experience says keeping a manager longer allows him to build a team properly.

Non of this answers the question. What is so good about Del as a manager that makes you like him or want to keep him? I think only Brizzelred has given any sort of answer, all other answers flirt around the club, not specifically what Del brings to the table to make you like him as a manager.

As I see it, he is a nice guy, and had a bit of luck last year when he stumbled upon Bikey. They are the reasons I like him. I am not so sure those reasons are particularly valid reasons to employ someone as a football manager though!

heaton , baldock, davis,cunningham look quality

foster, pearson , wilson and mcmanus have not.

however there absolutely no doubt about his ability to change things and that is what gives us hope.

As mentioned in another thread we are yet to be mullered 4 or 5 0 under dereck. the team does seem to have spirit and an ability to damage limit i.e not rolling over ala some of the millen johnson performances.

Obsession with our frail defence(clean sheets), we cant play longball! is our downfall at moment . I think del will revert to our strengths today. Also hope that gerken gets another run out because of the pernalty save.

however there absolutely no doubt about his ability to change things and that is what gives us hope.

As mentioned in another thread we are yet to be mullered 4 or 5 0 under dereck. the team does seem to have spirit and an ability to damage limit i.e not rolling over ala some of the millen johnson performances.

Obsession with our frail defence(clean sheets), we cant play longball! is our downfall at moment . I think del will revert to our strengths today. Also hope that gerken gets another run out because of the pernalty save.

"Absolutely no doubt about his ability to change things and that is what gives us hope"

I had understood this thread to be a plea for help from those fickle souls (regrettably of which I am one) who do have doubt for those who do not (of which you are one) for help in rekindling our faith.

Are you simply relying on the Easter resurrection for your belief in the second coming - or is there more?

Unfortunately it seems to me that if our survival last season was in any way because of Derek's talents (rather than in spite of his lack of them) then he is finding no easier than I to identify what it is that he did right among an ocean of things he did wrong last season - and which he seems determined to repeat every one

I posted this in another thread, but thought it might be interesting in it's own thread.

Many people say the like Del and want him to stay.

Why do you want Del to stay? Is it because he is a nice bloke, a bit like Ward, or is it that you like his tactics and football?

I see lots of people saying they like Del, and give him time. I am just wondering what it is they like about him

I like Del as a person, he has seemed quite approachable and honest, if a bit over protective of his bunch of players, I have not been impressed with his managerial nous or tactical nous.

I would love to know peoples reasons for keeping him. I cannot see much from a footballing point of view. Not looking at it from a money and FFP point of view, what has Del bought to the club that has improved it on the pitch?

I was all for bringing Del to the cub, thinking his winning mentality would rub off, I think I may have got that idea wrong

Anyway, I am not interested in he is sh1te get him out or he needs time kind of answer, just what he has bought to this club at this current time that you like.

I still think it's too soon to judge Del. The jury's out for sure but this idea you can fix long-term problems at a club over the space of two transfer windows is a bit misguided. Yes, you can get people coming in and giving a quick fix that works for a season or two and there's plenty of managers who'd do that (and, if it gets to January and we are where we are now, perhaps that's what we'd need...) but what I like about McInnes is he's tried to put the roots of things in place to change the culture of the club, change the backroom staff and improve things for the future. Those things unquestionably needed doing, although obviously it's far too early to tell if what McInnes has done is going to work.

Things on the pitch are not great and I've got questions about selections and tactics but, at the same time, I think if we change the manager now we're accepting that we don't want to give a manager time to build for the future and just want a quick fix after quick fix after quick fix. I don't want to go down but at the same time I care more about where the club is five, ten fifteen years time than I do next season and I think that means at some point we have to actually let things build in the long-term without panicking at the first sign of a crisis.

Lots of reasons for me...

- he's given youth a chance

- he's had success as a manager in the past

- very honest character

- hard working bloke

- has brought in some very good players

- always remaining positive

- he's brought in his own staff

- talks a good game

Archived