IGNORED

Goals Drying Up And Still Conceding...

Lew-T

This is a worry. We didn't look like scoring at all today, hopeless balls upfield were easily dealt with by the Charlton defence. The midfield just looked completely clueless, running around like headless chickens and running away from the ball when we have it. Just a shambles! That's 3 games without a single goal and you can see why...

This is a worry. We didn't look like scoring at all today, hopeless balls upfield were easily dealt with by the Charlton defence. The midfield just looked completely clueless, running around like headless chickens and running away from the ball when we have it. Just a shambles! That's 3 games without a single goal and you can see why...

Why surprised, I pointed this out weeks and weeks ago. I said we created little but our goals to shots ratio was immense. I also said if they stopped going in we would be in trouble. And guess what...... Not rocket science, the early season form was papering over the cracks, yet people getting carried away with it all.

The problem is Del has changed the team tactic to be tighter rather than go and attack, and the fact is we cannot do that! You don't see a cow putting on a wool coat and pretending to be a sheep, do why pretend to be tight? Go gun-ho, try and outscore teams, we wont get anything otherwise.

Id rather lose games like Blackburn, than how it was today.

Why surprised, I pointed this out weeks and weeks ago. I said we created little but our goals to shots ratio was immense. I also said if they stopped going in we would be in trouble. And guess what...... Not rocket science, the early season form was papering over the cracks, yet people getting carried away with it all.

That's because we were set up to attack teams. But because we were still conceding, Del has tried to make it tighter and hasn't worked. Now we are losing 2-0 and 1-0 and not creating anything. I'd personally rather lose 4-3 or 5-4 so then we have a chance of actually winning...

It's the only way with the squad we have IMO

That's because we were set up to attack teams. But because we were still conceding, Del has tried to make it tighter and hasn't worked. Now we are losing 2-0 and 1-0 and not creating anything. I'd personally rather lose 4-3 or 5-4 so then we have a chance of actually winning...

You have very little chance of winning if your letting in 4 or 5 goals!!!

Say that Even less chance if your scoring 0

Afraid not Lew, we were scoring, but we were not massively creating. When we were live on sky, they pointed out that we scored 24 from 36 shots on target all season. That, by any stretch of the imagination, is no where near the amount of shots we would have had expected to have on goals for that many of games.

Writing has been on the wall all season, the goals to shots taken ration just massively papered over the cracks

You have very little chance of winning if your letting in 4 or 5 goals!!!

Say that Even less chance if your scoring 0

What choice do we have? We are shite at the back, shite in midfield and nobody on the pitch seems to know what their doing. Just ATTACK!

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

As rightly pointed out earlier in this thread our shots to goal ratio was extremely high and it is only natural that this would fall and the goals would begin to dry up.

At the start of the season we were playing some excellent football going forward, but anybody should have been able to see with their own eyes that this was drying up.

Towards the end of our goalscoring run we had stopped creating chances en mass and were relying on goals out of the blue (headers from 30 yards, overhead kicks, free-kicks).

I thought I was maybe being pessimistic at the time in predicting that eventually these goals would run dry and we would go back to looking as desperate as we have in front of goal in every other season in the Championship. Unforutnately it looks as if I have been proven correct.

Archived