IGNORED

Baldock

Snufflelufagus

Before Baldock signed i always thought he was a quality striker. Even after 3 games he has played he looked a very good buy. Now though the coaches have got hold of him and he looks completely void of any ability. Another good player we have managed to completely ruin.

thats because we are not utilising his strength,

We are lumping a ball up to him, he will never win or score like thats you need to play through the defense for him to run onto,

Blame the manager for that

We are lumping a ball up to him, he will never win or score like thats you need to play through the defense for him to run onto,

You're right. We are lumping balls up to him which isn't playing to his strengths, but when i watch our centre halves, I wonder if lumping tyhe ball forward is something that simply cannot be coached out of them. Fontaine, Nyatanga, McManus (the very worst) all seem to want to smash it up to a target man as soon as they get the ball.

I'm not sure as Del can do much about it as it appears to be animal instinct.

You're right. We are lumping balls up to him which isn't playing to his strengths, but when i watch our centre halves, I wonder if lumping tyhe ball forward is something that simply cannot be coached out of them. Fontaine, Nyatanga, McManus (the very worst) all seem to want to smash it up to a target man as soon as they get the ball.

I'm not sure as Del can do much about it as it appears to be animal instinct.

yes he can he is instructing the players how to play its his job,

How is that Dels fault? It makes me laugh how that if anything goes wrong on the field, it's the managers throat that gets the knife! Maybe it's down to their ability, they couldn't stroke 5 yard passes together yesterday.

How is that Dels fault? It makes me laugh how that if anything goes wrong on the field, it's the managers throat that gets the knife! Maybe it's down to their ability, they couldn't stroke 5 yard passes together yesterday.

because he sets up the team and tells them how to play

Well if they are not doing jobs properly he needs to do something about it. If they can't do the job he needs to see that! Anyone can see we will not get the best from Baldock by starving him of service or quality ball.

Even the players should know that, and if they don't then they shouldn't be earning a living from playing football.

because he sets up the team and tells them how to play

Your right monk.

We are never going to get the best of him playing like that. It's Del's job to get the balance right. If we can't play to Baldocks strengths then I question why we signed him in the first place!

With the exception of Davies and Cunningham we don't have a player in the entire squad that has a decent delivery or the ammunition to provide the likes of Baldock, Pitman with the service they crave.

Well if they are not doing jobs properly he needs to do something about it. If they can't do the job he needs to see that! Anyone can see we will not get the best from Baldock by starving him of service or quality ball.

Even the players should know that, and if they don't then they shouldn't be earning a living from playing football.

Yep! Although I'm not even sure it needs to be 'quality ball'. The way Baldock moved in his first few appearances makes me think he has the ability to cause problems off the back of any through ball on the deck. He doesn't need Xavi sliding the ball through, he just needs the ball in the right area!!

The only defence I've ever seen if 'hoof ball' is that it plays to percentages... Well, not sure how that works in our case. I've got no problem going direct to Taylor, in fact I'd actively encourage it, but to do the same with Baldock is absolutely barmy.

Yep! Although I'm not even sure it needs to be 'quality ball'. The way Baldock moved in his first few appearances makes me think he has the ability to cause problems off the back of any through ball on the deck. He doesn't need Xavi sliding the ball through, he just needs the ball in the right area!!

The only defence I've ever seen if 'hoof ball' is that it plays to percentages... Well, not sure how that works in our case. I've got no problem going direct to Taylor, in fact I'd actively encourage it, but to do the same with Baldock is absolutely barmy.

you just play the ball in to space and ask baldock to run, thats his strength you don't need a killer ball just a ball into space, thats where he was strong coming off the bemch,

The set up of the team is wrong if we are going to lump it we need to start with stead and taylor up front, drop Adomah as if negates him as well,

That's all well and good. But you can quite clearly see from yesterday's performance, that we can't pass the ball around. That's down to the players, not the manager.

funny because against palace, cardiff, blackburn, to a degree leeds we passed the team to death creating numious chances, we can play like that we are set up to not play like it at the moment because we can't play from the back without cunningham and another decent fallback,

When everyone is fit we need to drop skuse to right back and cunningham back in and play out from the back instead of lumping it and putting ourselfs back under pressure

Agreed. Baldocks movement is easily good enough to cause problems, and turn most bad balls into a decent ball.

Straight down the throat of 6'6 defenders is not any good for him at all. I can't believe we don't even try stretching defences. Baldock will run the channels. Just a clip down the line every now and then will be better than what he has had of late!

As you say it doesn't take a Xavi! Surely we have a player in the squad capable of doing at least that!?

Agreed. Baldocks movement is easily good enough to cause problems, and turn most bad balls into a decent ball.

Straight down the throat of 6'6 defenders is not any good for him at all. I can't believe we don't even try stretching defences. Baldock will run the channels. Just a clip down the line every now and then will be better than what he has had of late!

As you say it doesn't take a Xavi! Surely we have a player in the squad capable of doing at least that!?

On paper it should be Kilkenny, but he's an absolute joke who takes an age to even see a pass let alone make one.

I'm starting to come around to EMB's assertion that the midfield is the problem. Full stop. I like Skuse though, I like the way he keeps the ball. I think that's our problem, we don't keep the ball for long enough periods, our defence is always under pressure, they clear their lines to relieve it and again, we don't retain possession so the ball comes thundering back.

funny because against palace, cardiff, blackburn, to a degree leeds we passed the team to death creating numious chances, we can play like that we are set up to not play like it at the moment because we can't play from the back without cunningham and another decent fallback,

When everyone is fit we need to drop skuse to right back and cunningham back in and play out from the back instead of lumping it and putting ourselfs back under pressure

Those 4 games you mentioned we scored 13 goals from 21 shots on target. Which means we had 5 efforts on target per game on average. We weren't creating very much but were looking dangerous for we had 2 big guys up front mainly stead Taylor knocking balls on keeping it in the box.

Trouble is we've no one in midfield to play a killer ball and our defence just hoof it up front. If we are going to hoof it do it to the channels so wide players have chance to get the ball and normally fb are shorter than cb.

If this is a tactic by the manager then he should keep tall players on the pitch and unlike yesterday make sure Baldock is close to the tall player not 20 yards off.

Start of season we scored plenty of goals with a great conversion rate now we aren't converting the few chances we get and are struggling.

Yep, agree with what you say about Baldock. His movement the first few games he came here was excellent...and I was confident if we kept playing the way we were trying, he would score plenty.

Baldock said something the other week that set alarm bells ringing for me

"Im prepared to change my style to adapt to the way Bristol City play"

Why for once, can we not play to our star players strengths. Regardless of what people thought of Trundle, we completely wasted him instead of playing to his strengths. Oour problem is, to often we buy players in becasue they impress us playing once way....then get them to do something completely different.

As you say, lumping the ball to Baldock is pointless, and all its going to do is destroy his confidence.

The thing is, we still didn't create much then. We were just very clinical with our finishing. But as soon as the goals dried up, there was only one way we were heading...

Ps: would people stop using Cardiff and Palace as an example! It's getting very boring now.

On paper it should be Kilkenny, but he's an absolute joke who takes an age to even see a pass let alone make one.

I'm starting to come around to EMB's assertion that the midfield is the problem. Full stop. I like Skuse though, I like the way he keeps the ball. I think that's our problem, we don't keep the ball for long enough periods, our defence is always under pressure, they clear their lines to relieve it and again, we don't retain possession so the ball comes thundering back.

Don't get me wrong, we still have major issues at the back. But at least yesterday we looked a lot more solid and better as a unit. The midfield is a big problem, we don't keep the ball well at all.

I personally have always liked Skuse, but he needs to be in there with someone with a bit of a class and that can do a bit of everything. We don't play with any natural width either. Woolford kept leaving Briggs exposed. He kept tucking inside and looked to me as if he was hiding. Without width chances will be few and far between.

It seems as if though Del wants to continue with a 4-4-2, and if he does I think he should start Anderson.

I know if we play him and Albert we will be very open, but I am wondering what else can be done?

Much better finisher than Maynard and would score more based on chances!! If only we created them!

They are different players, Maynard mainly created his own chances where as Baldock relies on decent service.

At this point with the shite players behind him there is no place in this side for Baldock, that's not a reflection on him but more on the midfielders and defenders who keep lumping high ball after high ball to him.

Archived