IGNORED

Relegation - Teams Worse Than Us ?

The Red Planet

At the risk of stating the obvious, in order to avoid relegation we need 3 clubs to be worse than us come the end of the season (or to be in financial trouble - like Portsmouth last season).

What's really bothering me now is that I can't idenitify those three potential clubs. Peterborough looked dead and buried early season but they have started winning. Ipswich had a dreadful start to the season but won at the weekend under new manager Mick McCarthy, they look to be on the way up.

Even a side like Charlton who have hardly been making waves in the NPC this season looked far better than us yesterday (and certainly deserved their win) and once again (thinking of Burnley and Hull recently) their defence was miles better than us with their hugely impressive big guy no 28 Leon Cort completely snuffing out Baldock and Taylor and their no 5 (can't remember his name) also dominated.

So, saying we are are failing defensively currently is nothing new on here, but are there three clubs we might end up above come May ?

On the basis of who we have played at home so far, I can't name one.

Which is depressing.

Looks like we will be playing the likes of Crawley Town and Yeovil next season unless you can name three clubs likely to struggle later this season.

I know it's still early in the season.

And I still think DMC will keep us up - somehow.

Rovers, barnet and rochdale are clearly worse. Unfortunately that doesnt help our situation!!

For me its us, p'boro and barnsley. Perhaps we can drag a sheff wed, charlton etc into it but unless we get the luck tony docherty wanted, or our players start trying for a change then we'll be one of the bottom 3 im afraid.

Cant you just wait for a cold January at home to Fleetwood, losing, with a skateboard amount of away fans outsinging our hardcore 6000!!

At the risk of stating the obvious, in order to avoid relegation we need 3 clubs to be worse than us come the end of the season (or to be in financial trouble - like Portsmouth last season).

Looks like we will be playing the likes of Crawley Town and Yeovil next season unless you can name three clubs likely to struggle later this season.

I know it's still early in the season.

And I still think DMC will keep us up - somehow.

Crawly may get promoted.

We'll be OK; more to the point.

The collapse against Bolton depressed me. The meekness of our surrender v Hull was appalling. At Huddersfield, I thought I saw 'green shoots' (think I was wrong). Did not see the Charlton game but it sounds like we were lucky to get nil.

This is NOT one of the three worst squads in the Division, and Derek STILL has the potential to be a great manager. It IS however, a team filled with fear and bereft of confidence. Our problems are psychological, not fitness or technique.

I understand all the 'players couldn't give a toss' statements, it sure looked like that v Hull, but I think what we re seeing is depression, not apathy. If you were a player, you would want to play in the Premier League for the money, the attention and the glory. Right now, every City player knows he won't get there with us and that there will be no phone calls from Southampton or QPR for them, they are depressed and have zero confidence. If we could get two back-to-back wins where we scored from own goals/ball going in off someone's face, we would see the return of the team that bet Cardiff and Palace. Our next signing should not be in the transfer window, we need the best sports psychologist money can buy, starting today.

We're Bristol City, we used to believe.

For me Barnsley and Peterborough will defintely be down there so that leaves 1 more. At the start of the season I thought Millwall but they are certainly very good at home so that may be enough for them (and in fact currently have twice as many points as us). After that you are looking at the likes of Ipswich and Sheff Weds. I personally think Ipswich now have a very good manager and will get out of it. Sheff Weds certainly have some good players and with a manager like Dave Jones I'd expect them to spend in January. Birmingham may be struggling finacially but still have good players. So in conclusion ummmm.

The collapse against Bolton depressed me. The meekness of our surrender v Hull was appalling. At Huddersfield, I thought I saw 'green shoots' (think I was wrong). Did not see the Charlton game but it sounds like we were lucky to get nil.

This is NOT one of the three worst squads in the Division, and Derek STILL has the potential to be a great manager. It IS however, a team filled with fear and bereft of confidence. Our problems are psychological, not fitness or technique.

I understand all the 'players couldn't give a toss' statements, it sure looked like that v Hull, but I think what we re seeing is depression, not apathy. If you were a player, you would want to play in the Premier League for the money, the attention and the glory. Right now, every City player knows he won't get there with us and that there will be no phone calls from Southampton or QPR for them, they are depressed and have zero confidence. If we could get two back-to-back wins where we scored from own goals/ball going in off someone's face, we would see the return of the team that bet Cardiff and Palace. Our next signing should not be in the transfer window, we need the best sports psychologist money can buy, starting today.

SR - I think you have got to the root of the current problem.

Dealing with that is what DMC and his assistant are paid for. I hope they can. If that means bringing in a top sports psychologist, bring it on now.

Agree 100% Perhaps even a spell of Hypnosis might do wonders to get the confidence back. Not much chance of that I'am afraid.

Agree and I think that Del's biggest mistake gas been the constant tinkering. No one knows where they stand, in one minute, out the next.... Hardly going to boost their confidence.

We've had enough injuries to unsettle the team without adding to it. The best example I can think of is the picking then dropping of Gerken. How must our two keepers be feeling right now?

I'm fairly sure that whoever goes down will be from the following: Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Peterborough and us.

When compared to last season, Ipswich have declined more dramatically than anyone else so far, although it's worth pointing out that Peterborough and ourselves are poor teams that are performing at a worse overall level than than last season.

In that respect we're both in a similar situation to what happened to Coventry last season and Sheffield United in 2010/11, although The Posh have never managed three consecutive seasons in the second tier and were my pre-season favourites to go down.

Archived