IGNORED

Stoney Garnett, Well Done Mate....

Mr Mosquito

I'd like to thank Stoney because his campaign poster in the window ensured the security of my Saturday morning lie in as the Lib/Lab/Green/FraudFerguson canvassers just walked on by. I'm glad he got 1400 odd votes, that's not a waste, it's a democracy. Would be interesting to see votes for each candidate per pound spent on the campaign - would put him top or close top I reckon.

Think there should be some bristolian councilors on the council. That way they can understand what is wanted by the local people and if they live in that area can do what's neeed.

Bit like our stadium bid, most of the people against it aren't from the area so what do they know the local residents want.

Too many people on councils with no care for there constituents its just a job and cushy number for them.

I'd like to thank Stoney because his campaign poster in the window ensured the security of my Saturday morning lie in as the Lib/Lab/Green/FraudFerguson canvassers just walked on by. I'm glad he got 1400 odd votes, that's not a waste, it's a democracy. Would be interesting to see votes for each candidate per pound spent on the campaign - would put him top or close top I reckon.

I agree with you, Stoney would be rightful Mayor of Bristol now had the election been decided on a votes to money spent ratio.

Don't understand people that vote for someone who has sod all chance of winning. Utter waste of time voting.

You should have the preferential voting system like here in Oz, then at least your vote will count up until the final winner.

Also like here voting should be compulsory a 95% voting turnout and first passed 50% of the vote, at least ensures the majority of the voters in your area put a tick against one of the top two.

Brilliant post that proves what I've been writing about Bristol needing political people mainly from the area to properly represent Bristolians and Bristol's industrial and sporting interests. Too many non Bristolians parachuted into Bristol over the last 30 odd years means that Bristol has fallen behind and in a great many areas including sporting facilities. Also, Bristol has lost its traditional industries like tobacco import and processing to Belgium, lost its chocolate production (Frys Keynsham) to Poland and is losing its aircraft production at Filton to Germany and France. A Bristol born politician would care about this loss of industry whereas a non Bristolian 'parachutist' politican obviously does not. A great opportunity missed in Bristolians not voting for local man Stoney in greater numbers - he could have and should have been made Mayor to give Bristolians a voice in politics for once.

Maybe you should stand for the BNP!

Maybe you should stand for the BNP!

Surely someone local will have more knowledge of what's important to the area than someone sent from the 3 main parties from say Birmingham to sit on the council. All councils need skilled people to work on them and have some skilled non locals on there but not a whole council of pro politicians bringing the city to its knees, want local passionate people who know what Bristol needs to tell these pros what's needed.

Brilliant post that proves what I've been writing about Bristol needing political people mainly from the area to properly represent Bristolians and Bristol's industrial and sporting interests. Too many non Bristolians parachuted into Bristol over the last 30 odd years means that Bristol has fallen behind and in a great many areas including sporting facilities. Also, Bristol has lost its traditional industries like tobacco import and processing to Belgium, lost its chocolate production (Frys Keynsham) to Poland and is losing its aircraft production at Filton to Germany and France. A Bristol born politician would care about this loss of industry whereas a non Bristolian 'parachutist' politican obviously does not. A great opportunity missed in Bristolians not voting for local man Stoney in greater numbers - he could have and should have been made Mayor to give Bristolians a voice in politics for once.

Marvin is as Bristolian as Stoney. Hope he stays in local politics in some description.

Stoney is an ALL TIME BCFC LEGEND and there is a lot who will be pulling on red shirts in a few hours time who could learn a lot about showing passion and commitment to our club.

Unfortunately I live just outside the Bristol boundary so could not vote but if I could have he would certainly have got my support.

Massive well done to him, his family and supporters. At least he gave it 100%.

:clap:

You've clearly missed the point of a democracy. Maybe we should copy pre war Iraq - everyone still had to vote and Saddam got %100 of the vote Everytime.

Democracy do we have that!!!!

Seems to me it doesn't matter who you vote for the same Eton toff is voted prime minister who has no idea what the "ordinary man in the street" wants or needs.

Just how to favor his ruling class peers.

After all democracy came about to protect property from the masses.

There rant over!!!

Democracy do we have that!!!!

Seems to me it doesn't matter who you vote for the same Eton toff is voted prime minister who has no idea what the "ordinary man in the street" wants or needs.

Just how to favor his ruling class peers.

After all democracy came about to protect property from the masses.

There rant over!!!

Excellent rant. It's the same scenario with the Mayor of Bristol election in that it's a rich and powerful architect that's now become Mayor. No doubt - just like Eton Oxbridge Toff David Camoron - with his own financial interests at heart and not those of the general population. It's the same with the national Labour Party as all their top people are Oxbridge educated as well. I thought Stoney's electioneering was really good especially with regard to his comments about all the totally unecessary traffic lights all over Bristol to disrupt traffic flow - no doubt put in place by Red Trousers' architect buddies on the council.

I can understand someone voting for Garnet as a protest vote... but for someone to actually want him as a mayor ?? !! What a waste of your vote .

I live outside of Bristol so - unfortunately - I couldn't vote for Stoney. I would definately have voted for Stoney if I could have. Stoney was the right man for the job as far as I'm concerned because I'm sure he would have done a lot to help politically empower his fellow City supporters and fellow Bristolians as Mayor of Bristol. I've heard many comments about the Lib-Lab-Con on Bristol Council messing up the city with their infighting over the years. Well, the Mayor that's now been elected was part of that problem on Bristol Council because he was a Liberal Councillor.

You should have the preferential voting system like here in Oz, then at least your vote will count up until the final winner.

Also like here voting should be compulsory a 95% voting turnout and first passed 50% of the vote, at least ensures the majority of the voters in your area put a tick against one of the top two.

Do you have a "None of the above" box?

What an absolute tool.

Where did he mention anything even remotely BNP like ?!??

You've taken it totally out of context and like a true politician have spun it to suit you !!

The Goblins remarks read like he does not think anybody living in his Village for ten, twenty or even fifty years is worthy of consideration.

I am one of these non Bristolians who has parachuted into the City over the last thirty years.

The Goblins remarks read like he does not think anybody living in his Village for ten, twenty or even fifty years is worthy of consideration.

I am one of these non Bristolians who has parachuted into the City over the last thirty years.

If you read my comment No. 4 on this thread it reads: As far as I'm concerned, it should only be a Bristolian - i.e. someone actually born in Bristol - that should be able to hold the position of elected Mayor of Bristol. This is the situation in the USA where to be a U.S. President you need to have been born in a U.S. state. What's wrong with that ????? Bristolians are already under the yoke of MPs parachuted into the area, now you can add to that a Mayor not born in Bristol. There are too many with Thames Estuary accents now running Bristol and acting like colonial rulers toward native Bristolians. :D

If you read my comment No. 4 on this thread it reads: As far as I'm concerned, it should only be a Bristolian - i.e. someone actually born in Bristol - that should be able to hold the position of elected Mayor of Bristol. This is the situation in the USA where to be a U.S. President you need to have been born in a U.S. state. What's wrong with that ????? Bristolians are already under the yoke of MPs parachuted into the area, now you can add to that a Mayor not born in Bristol. There are too many with Thames Estuary accents now running Bristol and acting like colonial rulers toward native Bristolians. :D

What is wrong with that? It is prejudiced stupidity. Immigrants and even indigenous nationals including those who fought for this Country according to yourself are not worthy of representing Bristol.

What is wrong with that? It is prejudiced stupidity. Immigrants and even indigenous nationals including those who fought for this Country according to yourself are not worthy of representing Bristol.

What are your views on Ghandi? Ghandi wanted more representation for native Indians in the Indian government at the expense of the British colonial rulers of that period.

What are your views on Ghandi? Ghandi wanted more representation for native Indians in the Indian government at the expense of the British colonial rulers of that period.

If Ghandi was a polar bear worshipping Eskimo living in Bristol and paying taxes like everybody else I see no reason why he should be discriminated against.

When Ghandi was visiting this country someone asked him what he thought of British civilsation. He said that he thought that it would be a good idea. Sarky get!

The other point worth mentioning is that Gandhi was of a pacafist nature and it would be difiicult to see him getting on with some of the 'lads' that follow us about. 'Small town in Asia ... You're from a small town in Asia', as no doubt would be sung in the EE.

BTW, Gobbers. I moved here nearly 40 years ago from Yorkshire, married a Bristol girl, both of my kids were born in BMH and I fully expect to die here. Surely you'd let me have an opinion, or (gasp) even stand for mayor or council?

There are people who made Bristol their home after the second world war after fighting for Britain against the nazis. Amongst these are those who could not return to their place or origin due to communist dictatorships. Some do have British passports and children born and bred here.

Not fit for council or mayor?

When Ghandi was visiting this country someone asked him what he thought of British civilsation. He said that he thought that it would be a good idea. Sarky get!

The other point worth mentioning is that Gandhi was of a pacafist nature and it would be difiicult to see him getting on with some of the 'lads' that follow us about. 'Small town in Asia ... You're from a small town in Asia', as no doubt would be sung in the EE.

BTW, Gobbers. I moved here nearly 40 years ago from Yorkshire, married a Bristol girl, both of my kids were born in BMH and I fully expect to die here. Surely you'd let me have an opinion, or (gasp) even stand for mayor or council?

Ahhh, that's OK then, both your children would be eligible to stand for Mayor of Bristol. The problem comes in the fact that most senior politicians representing Bristol - i.e. Bristol's MPs - were not born in Bristol but have been parachuted into the city by the London based Lib-Lab-Con political parties. It's my considered opinion that more should be done to allow the discriminated against majority - i.e. those born in Bristol (Bristolians) - to have preferential access to these top Bristol political posts including that of Mayor of Bristol.

Archived